I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 07:35:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Low Hemoglobin
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Low Hemoglobin  (Read 5285 times)
Lori1851

This is me Lori , Dustin's mom

« on: February 14, 2008, 06:19:08 PM »

Hi Friends,
Was just lookin over Dustin's lab report. His hemoglobin is 8.3. At what point will he need a transfusion? Its been like a year since he had any. I just cant remember at what point they do it.

Lori/ Indiana
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 06:41:41 PM »

Many of us get epo or another form of shot to raise the blood count.
I've had to have blood transfusions in the hospital when a procedure(s)
caused blood loss tho.

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 07:10:26 PM »

I believe I was below 6.0 when I got a transfusion, but I had not been to a doctor in awhile, so I don't know what the treshold is.

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 07:25:41 PM »

Usually the threshold for transfusion is 80 (on the scale where 140 is normal for males and 120 is normal for females).  If you ever intend to seek a transplant, however, it is good to have as few transfusions as possible, since each one increases your antibodies to potential donor kidneys.  At a hemoglobin value of around 80 you should still be able to build the blood up to a tolerable level by EPO without having to resort to a transfusion, but quick intervention is necessary.
Lori1851

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 05:49:38 AM »

Thanks for the input. I know Dustin does get Epo during dialysis  wondering why it tends to go low.
Lori/Indiana
Slywalker

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 04:55:59 PM »

My hemoglobin was always low even with the epo shots.  Mine used to hang around 8.0.  I never had a transfusion though.  It was never discussed.  I probably didn't get low enough for it to come up.

Take care

Sandyb
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 09:39:58 PM »

My docs say if I am at 9 for over two to three months then transfusion time.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
dmahlalek

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 04:54:53 PM »

My Dr. waits until I hit 8.0.  EPO has brought my hemo to 12.7.
highlite36

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 05:17:14 PM »

I think the general number to look for is 7.  I know whenever I reached that number, I got a transfusion.  Actually, for a while there, I was getting transfused every two months or so.  It was bad enough that I was sent to hematologist and had a bone marrow biopsy to check for cancer because my body just wasn't responding to anything....  Kinda scary....

ESRD February 2002
Transplant from living non-related donor November 7, 2002
Lost transplant April 2005
Diagnosed with Heart Failure February 2006
Currently on Peritoneal Dialysis, awaiting to be well enough to FINALLY get placed
on the Transplant List.  :-)  I can't wait!!!!
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 07:30:05 PM »

Bone marrow biopsy - gee, aren't those fun?   :sarcasm;  My hemoglobin was at 6 when they started me on Procrit.  No one ever mentioned a transfusion at any point in time.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 09:57:54 AM »

It is dismaying to see the hemoglobin values reported by renal patients.  Anemia requiring treatment begins for women at anything below 120, and for men at any value below 140.  If your body remains in an anemic state for any length of time, a whole range of serious damage occurs, from generalized deoxygenation of the tissues to pathological enlargement of the heart muscle.  Just because hemoglobin cannot be safely restored to normal levels with EPO, nephrologists tend to act as if the anemia they cannot cure is harmless, but that is siimply not true.
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 11:13:18 AM »

Lori1851, EPO doses are a balancing act. They give EPO until the hemoglobin gets to 12.0 or 13.00, then they stop it until it gets low again. With the clinics it's all about money and medicare won't pay if the hemoglobin is what they consider high for a dialysis patient. Been there, done that. We found that feeding Len liver (YUKKKKKKKKK) a couple of time a month actually raised his hemoglobin and iron. Take care and I hope you can get these straighten out.

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 07:09:36 PM »

Mine was at 7.9 and my doctor said if I wasn't waiting for a transplant, he would have ordered a transfusion.  Instead, they raised my Epo from 10,000 to 20,000.  My hemoglobin is up to 9.0.... hopefully it will keep going up.

Born with one kidney 1972
Ureter re-constructured 1975 (reflux had already damaged the kidney)
Diagnosed and treated for high blood pressure 2000
Diagnosed ESRF October 2006
Started dialysis September 2007
Last dialysis June 4, 2008
Transplant from my hero, Joyce, June 5, 2008
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2008, 07:26:48 PM »

Interesting..when I started my hemoglobin was quite low and two units of blood were given during dialysis on successive days.  The plan then was for a transplant but the whole blood was given anyway.  I never had any issues with antibodies as a result and tranplant plans moved forward.
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2008, 09:14:19 AM »

There has been a lot of debate in the medical community about the new, lower levels of hemoglobin at which the government is willing to pay for EPO to correct the problem.  The experimental data on which it was decided to lower the hemoglobin level which the government would regard as tolerable for anemic patients was based on an exercise test in which people with an HbB of 130 and people with an HbG of 100 were asked to WALK FOR 10 MINUTES, and both groups were found equally capable of doing this in the same amount of time!  But this is idiotic, since anyone not yet at death's door can walk for ten minutes at a normal speed.  The test was thoroughly inadequate to measure the actual energy level required to get a person through the day, and of course those designing the test knew that, but then, the whole point of the test was just to find an excuse, however flimsy, too keep taxes low on rich people by cutting EPO payments no matter how much suffering in the sick population was necessary to achieve that.
Lori1851

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2008, 11:07:27 AM »

Thanks for teh info friends ;)
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2008, 03:41:29 PM »

iron  infusion  and  red  meat should  help somewhat :thumbup;

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2008, 09:00:50 PM »

My hemoglobin is up to 13, no wonder I feel better. Up from 10.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2008, 01:09:44 PM »

Glad to hear that kitkatz.

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
KR Cincy

Home hemodialysis since May 07

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2008, 01:06:08 PM »

My neph (a young guy) even recommended that we cook using cast iron skillets to increase the iron I get...I found that to be, um, a little antiquated...but we do it (along with iron infusions once a month, a GentleFE tablet once a day, and red meat when possible.)

Not giving up...thanks to Susan.
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2008, 01:42:11 PM »

Of course iron is necessary for EPO to help increase the number of red blood cells your body can make, but since iron can be given intravenously or orally in perfectly adequate amounts, iron levels are not the problem.  The real problem is that EPO cannot safely be given in sufficient quantities to raise hemoglobin to normal levels, so that is the bottleneck in the system which keeps renal patients exhausted, no matter how much iron or B12 they get.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »