I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 08:29:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Girl switchs blood type after liver tx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Girl switchs blood type after liver tx  (Read 2901 times)
BigSky
Elite Member

« on: January 24, 2008, 10:56:50 AM »

Girl switches blood type after liver transplant in first known case: doctors

An Australian girl spontaneously switched blood groups and adopted her donor's immune system following a liver transplant in the first known case of its type, doctors treating her said Thursday.

Demi-Lee Brennan was aged nine and seriously ill with liver failure when she received the transplant, doctors at a top Sydney children's hospital told AFP.

Nine months later it was discovered that she had changed blood types and her immune system had switched over to that of the donor after stem cells from the new liver migrated to her bone marrow.

She is now a healthy 15-year-old, Michael Stormon, a hepatologist treating her, told AFP. Stormon said he had given several presentations on the case around the world and had heard of none like it.

"It is extremely unusual -- in fact we don't know of any other instance in which this happened," Stormon told AFP from the Children's Hospital.

"In effect she had had a bone marrow transplant. The majority of her immune system had also switched over to that of the donor."

An article on the case was published in Thursday's edition of the leading US medical journal The New England Journal of Medicine.

Doctors who treated Brennan say she is now only under treatment as an outpatient and are interested to know if the case could have other applications in transplant surgery, where rejection of donor organs by the recipient's immune system is a major hurdle.

Stormon said it appeared that Brennan may have been fortunate because a "sequence of serendipitous events", including a post-transplantation infection, may have given the stem cells from her donor's liver the chance to proliferate.

The task now was to establish whether the same sort of outcome could be replicated in other transplant patients, he said.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080124142556.cb51cyta&show_article=1
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 03:31:17 AM »

I'm not sure if this is a breakthrough for science or just weird.
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 10:54:07 AM »

I'm curious, does she still have to take anti-rejection meds, or is that a non-issue now? What about if she decides to get pregnant later in life...will the baby be part of her original immune system, or the donor's? Very odd, but kinda cool, too.

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
charee
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 12:19:38 PM »

I saw an interview with her and her Dr and  she is off all anti- rejection medication, not sure about the baby thing.

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
keith

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 11:04:41 PM »

saw it  on the news  hope that it's a break through for us all

Life ain't Life wit out Me!!! U Heard Me  
Transplanted on 12-6-2007 on dialysis7+yrs
Started Dover dialysis support group. A group for patients, familyand friends.
NOW RUN-Tel-Dat
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »