I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 01:43:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Pain at Fistula site
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pain at Fistula site  (Read 2092 times)
oleboy

« on: February 16, 2008, 11:36:10 AM »

I don't know if this has been talked about or not. I had fistula placed 01/03/08 no problem, until the last few days looks like one of the sticthes had become infected, cleaned site applied antibiotic cream to the site kept apply sterile dressings now expriencing sharp pains like a muscle tear at the fistula site,sttill have a good buzz but fistula site hot to the touch?

Edited: Corrected Spelling in Subject Line - okarol/moderator
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 01:24:19 AM by okarol » Logged

'hold fast your dreams for if dreams die life is a broken winged bird that connot fly.'
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 12:44:40 PM »

I don't know if this has been talked about or not. I had fistula placed 01/03/08 no problem, until the last few days looks like one of the sticthes had become infected, cleaned site applied antibiotic cream to the site kept apply sterile dressings now expriencing sharp pains like a muscle tear at the fistula site,sttill have a good buzz but fistula site hot to the touch?

I can only tell you the obvious, it sounds infected, I would contact your doctor or the surgeon that placed the fistula.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 12:50:46 PM »

Yes, possible infection.

However, I had mine placed on Oct. 31st, and a day or two around Thanksgiving I was putting on my make-up and I felt something wet under my left arm (my incision is literally from elbow to armpit).  When I went to take off my nightshirt I notice a considerable amount of blood.  I called the surgeon's office and he had me come in the very next morning, as the incision did not continue to bleed.  What happened is that I had an area in the incision that got a build-up of blood and it got a little hard spot and then it burst.  Just blood, no puss or anything.  He checked in out and all was fine.  Now, I had some tenderness in the incision, still do on most days, but I don't recall my arm be red or "hot".

Definitely call your surgeon.  Good Luck.

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 01:22:58 AM »

as Sluff said, it wouldn't hurt to have the Surgeon who placed the fistula have a look at it. Mine is on the inside of my right arm, above the elbow, and from there up is always "warmer" than the rest of my arm. It could be from the increase of blood from your fistula, that is the heat you are feeling. Hopefully its not an infection in yours. Lets us know how things turn out - good luck  :thumbup;

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »