I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 08:28:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  CHILLS DURING AND AFTER DIALYSIS
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: CHILLS DURING AND AFTER DIALYSIS  (Read 14515 times)
Loretta

« on: January 21, 2008, 04:55:12 PM »

Hi all,
I have started with a new problem the last week or so.  I know it is common to be cold during dialysis and I have always experienced that, but in the last week or so I have been getting a bad case of the chills after dialysis.  It usually starts about an hour after I get home.  I am so chilled that I feel miserable.  It lasts for several hours and blankets and jackets don't help at all.  I don't usually drink hot drinks but that has helped a very little bit.  I live in Phoenix Az where the daily temperatures are usually above 60 degrees, so it isn't because it is cold outside.  Has anyone else experienced anything similar?  Have you found anything that helps?
 :thx;
Loretta
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 06:08:13 PM »

Chills during dialysis can be a sign of infection, since the process of dialysis can activate dormant germs in your dialysis access and send them through your blood stream, causing the reaction of chills and shakes.  Of course, as you note, there is also just the normal coldness dialysis patients experience during dialysis, in part because some of their blood is flowing extracorporeally and dialysis machines are kept low to keep blood pressure high, and in part because some centers also set the room temperature low to maintain blood pressure higher as well.  After dialysis, patients can be cold because of anemia.  Whether your own coldness is ordinary or a sign of infection depends on how severe it is.
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 07:50:16 PM »

I  Had  this  occur  a  couple of  times,put  it  down  to  bad  needle  position,cause  when  i  got  off  the  machine  the  chills  stopped. :2thumbsup;

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 08:22:02 PM »

Are you allergic to the dialyzer you are using? I had this happen to me in 2003 and we switched it out.  Seems I am either allergic to reuse or the fibers in certain dialyzers.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
GuyIncognito

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 05:33:51 AM »

I had a similar experience,turns out it was an allergic reaction to IV Iron which progressed to fevers and such while on dialysis.

I'd advise getting the situation checked out!
msawyersw

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 03:31:55 PM »

I agree that having chills after dialysis needs to be reported to your medical team.  If your doctor is not available, report the problem to the charge nurse, nurse manager, or team leader.

Best wishes,
Marcia Sawyer, LMSW
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »