I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 02:49:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  altruistic/UNC
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: altruistic/UNC  (Read 2924 times)
paris
Member for Life

« on: January 27, 2008, 06:06:24 PM »

George Jung, UNC is now doing altruistic transplants. I was there last Thursday and asked where they stood on the subject.  Along with the paired donor program, they have added accepting altruistic donors and also, IVIGtheraphy.  My co-ordinator is taking my case to the Director of the IVIG program.  They have accepted two people so far, but have not actually started their treatments.  Duke still refuses to do altruistic transplants; so anyone in the area, UNC has opened another window of hope.  It is good to see progress in the transplant area at UNC, but the transplant surgeon I saw Thursday said that the politics and egos slow everything down.     The same doctor also told me as he was leaving that I had a better chance of winning the lottery than getting a cadaver transplant.   :clap; Wasn't that a high note to leave on?    :sarcasm;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 06:12:01 PM »

Otto's Dr told us on Thursday the UofM has done 28 alturistic donations so far.

KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 07:35:04 PM »

The same doctor also told me as he was leaving that I had a better chance of winning the lottery than getting a cadaver transplant.   :clap; Wasn't that a high note to leave on?    :sarcasm;

I can't believe he said that to you! Aren't they supposed to instill some kind of hope in their patients, even if it's false?? Give us SOMETHING for gosh sakes!

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 08:36:16 PM »

Sorry he was so insensative to you Paris! :grouphug;
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 06:44:54 AM »

I had not seen this particular surgeon before. He was English and I just took it as his dry sense of humor.  The look on my co-ordinators face was priceless. You could tell that she wanted to tell him that she had spent the day trying to give me hope and how dare he throw it out with one quick sentence. Two years ago I would have been upset---I don't let the odds get to me anymore (well, sometimes late at night when the mind goes to dark places!).  I'll just keep being as kind to my body as I can be and keep hoping something new comes along that is the perfect solution for me.   Right now the best thing for me is IHD!! :grouphug;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 08:57:51 AM »

Not all doctors are created equal.
Good for you Paris, keep up your great attitude and hang in there!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 01:32:24 PM »

Paris, my transplant doctor told me in November that it was a wonderful thing my kidneys had stabalized and that before I needed a transplant or dialysis, I may be the lucky one and die of something else first. I'm 47 years old. What am I supposed to do, hope for: cancer, a car accident, heart attack. I know he meant well, but jeeeeeeez! Anyway, I'm glad to see transplant centers are taking Altruistic donors a little more seriously.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
Nan

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 02:44:36 PM »

I left my one clinic because of arrogant doctors, who definitely discriminated their patients.  I had not really understood, but two of my nephr. used the word  "discriminate" when I told them of my meeting.  At the time I thought it was just how these transplant surgeons worked....but now that I changed to this new clinic....it is a WORLD of DIFFERENCE!  I feel safe and cared for here...if you can..........look around.

No matter how your heart is grieving....as long as you keep believing, the dream that you wish will come true!
Diagnosed with PKD in 1994
Started HEMO dialysis June 2006
Started Home Dialysis on cycler February 2007
Had Live donor transplant February 2008
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 04:28:54 PM »

Thanks everyone for your posts. The surgeon I usually see is a sweetheart.  And the surgeons at the second center are great.  I just happened to see Mr. Grumpy Pants that day :rofl;  I have learned that the co-ordinator controls most things anyway, and we have a great relationship.  Maybe he was having a personal crisis, maybe a patient died, maybe his wife left him----I tried to cut him some slack.  If this had been my first visit, I would have been upset.  But, he didn't say anything I haven't heard many times before.  He did have a lovely accent :rofl;

rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 11:51:14 PM »

Paris, trying to look on the positive side, someone wins the lottery most weeks in the UK and I don't know about you but I 'win' lotteries everyday according to the spam emails I get! :)

Seriously, I am sorry that he was so nasty to you and I'm glad that you have such a forgiving nature.  Not all of us English people are so rude :ukflag;

Hope you get that lottery win real soon.

Rose xx
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 03:39:19 AM »

I had a better chance of winning the lottery than getting a cadaver transplant.   :clap; Wasn't that a high note to leave on?    :sarcasm;

:cuddle;  I have a similar chance of getting a cadaver transplant, so I have also been told.  We just need the one person that matches and it will be ours!  People do win the lottery every day.

Maybe you and I could start a syndicate Paris. And when we win we can dance like this.....   :bandance; :bandance; :bandance;   :boxing;

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »