I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 09:34:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Cola Consumption Linked to CKD
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cola Consumption Linked to CKD  (Read 1897 times)
KT0930
Elite Member

« on: January 25, 2008, 11:53:15 AM »

www.nytimes.com

By ANAHAD O’CONNOR
Published: January 22, 2008
THE FACTS

Leif Parsons
It is well known that too much soda can increase the risk of diabetes and obesity. But when it comes to kidney problems, is there a difference between colas and other kinds of soda?

Colas contain high levels of phosphoric acid, which has been linked to kidney stones and other renal problems.

Much of this conclusion stems from anecdotal and circumstantial evidence. So last year, a team of scientists at the National Institutes of Health took a closer look.

In a study published in the journal Epidemiology, the team compared the dietary habits of 465 people with chronic kidney disease and 467 healthy people. After controlling for various factors, the team found that drinking two or more colas a day — whether artificially sweetened or regular — was linked to a twofold risk of chronic kidney disease.

But drinking two or more noncola carbonated drinks a day, they found, did not increase the risk.

The authors of the study say more research is needed, but their findings support the long-held notion that something about cola — the phosphoric acid, for example, or the ability of cola to pull calcium from bones — seems to increase the risk of kidney stones, renal failure and other conditions affecting the kidneys.

THE BOTTOM LINE

There is good evidence that cola beverages can increase the risk of kidney problems, more so than noncola sodas.

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 12:23:33 PM »

I love my Diet Coke...maybe toomuch.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 12:24:55 PM »

I never drink cola or any carbonated drink - doesn't seem to have helped me much!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

xtrememoosetrax

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 01:25:39 PM »

Well, the hell with Coke AND Pepsi then!!!  (too bad I'm kind of addicted to Diet Coke . . .  :))

Living donor to friend via 3-way paired exchange on July 30, 2008.

www.paireddonation.org
www.caringbridge.org/visit/marthahansen
oswald

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 01:49:18 PM »

i never was a cola person, although i drink it occationaly, i'm more an ice tea or beer fan than anything else.  :beer1;

ESRD 11/95
1st Transplant 7/1996 (failed; Nephrectomy 12/1996)
2nd Transplant 3/1999 (lasted 6 years)
3rd Transplant 5/2007 (lasted 4 years)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »