I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 03:30:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Pureflow heater going bad
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pureflow heater going bad  (Read 3318 times)
Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« on: January 17, 2008, 04:44:00 PM »

For the last few weeks, I've been having to gradually raise the setting on my Pureflow heater to keep myself comfortable. The last few treatments, I've had the temp up all the way, and my body temp is still dropping to around 95 (my body temp is usually around 96.5 to 97). I finally called tech support today, and they determined that the Pureflow chassis needs to be replaced. They are sending one to me overnight, and I should receive it tomorrow. I won't be able to swap them until my dad gets home in the evening though, because my mom has a bad back, and I can't lift the machine by myself. That means either a late treatment, or one last tx where I'm under heavy blankets and still freezing. I think I have a little more respect for those who have dialyzed with bags and no warmer (jbeany, I'm looking in your direction). This is the first service swap that I've had to do since starting NxStage, so I hope it goes smoothly.

Adam

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
KR Cincy

Home hemodialysis since May 07

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 06:14:30 PM »

I'll be changing the control panel on my PureFlow thisweekend...the UV light warned me it would expire in 12 days, so I had plenty of time to call and get a replacement sent. Fortunately after tonight's treatment I've got a couple of days off so it times out well.

Not giving up...thanks to Susan.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 06:29:20 PM »

I've had to change out my Nxstage before.  The delivery guy had orders to take the damaged one back with him immediately.  Are you going to have to do the same with the control unit?  Can you get it out by yourself if that's what they are expecting?

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 06:42:59 PM »

While we were training for home hemo, Marvin forgot to cut his warmer on (pre-mixed bags), and he about froze to death.  When we caught it, he only had 30 more minutes in his treatment.  Of course, the nurse who was training us said that he had noticed it at the beginning of the session but didn't say anything because we had to learn to double check everything ourselves.  Yeah, right, smart ass, you didn't notice it either!  I wanted to smack him, but we still had a week of training left and he was the only nurse in the unit who could train on home hemo.

Since then, I've bought Marvin a "throw" blanket (lap blanket, it may be called) that's electric!  It's about six feet long and four feet wide, and it's warm and toasty!   I hook Marvin up, plug him in, and turn him on!  (I really am talking about a dialysis treatment there -- it's not like it might sound.)  Needless to say, we've never forgotten the warmer when we're running off bags.  Marvin even uses his electric blanket when he's running on Pureflow; he says you're always cold on hemo.  You should get you one of those electric throws, AdamW -- they're wonderful!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »