I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 04:23:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Paired Donation ? (re: blood type)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paired Donation ? (re: blood type)  (Read 2017 times)
George Jung

« on: December 30, 2007, 04:09:14 PM »

How does a paired donation work when an "O" blood type is needed?  A possible donor of mine is expressing interest (in swapping) but if I need an "O" and any donor with type "O" can donate to any other blood type, how would I get paired up?  I guess I need someone to be a positive cross match?  DAMN type O blood........it is the dreaded blood type isn't it!!!
Lori1851

This is me Lori , Dustin's mom

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 09:23:46 AM »

George,
Dustin is o+. Even if the blood type doesnt match can't they do plasmaphersis?
Lori/Indiana
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 09:59:27 AM »

Keep in mind that there are three matchings which are required for a transplant to be optimal, since this is what can motivate a paired donation between two groups or a ring donation among a larger number of groups so that everyone gets the best kidney for them.  First you need the required Landsteiner blood group match, with type O being the universal donor but the universal non-recipient for any type of organ except type O and one of the subtypes of Landsteiner group A.  Then you need the best match among the most immunologically significant human leucocyte antigens, of which six are usually selected from among the hundreds which exist.  Then you need to perform a cross-matching test, to determine whether the recipient has pre-formed antibodies to the donor kidney. 

So if someone with blood type B has a blood type O donor who is a poor HLA match for him, and you have blood type O but have a blood type B donor who is an excellent HLA match for the person with blood type B, then the person with type B would be glad to get your type B donor in exchange for giving you his type O donor.
George Jung

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 01:42:32 PM »

So if someone with blood type B has a blood type O donor who is a poor HLA match for him, and you have blood type O but have a blood type B donor who is an excellent HLA match for the person with blood type B, then the person with type B would be glad to get your type B donor in exchange for giving you his type O donor.

Makes sense to me.  I figured it would have to be something with positive crossmatching.  Thanks.

Lori, I am not sure about the plasmaphersis.  I don't know much about that and have not inquired yet.  I will keep it in mind though.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 01:48:32 PM by George Jung » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »