I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 09:28:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Other Severe Medical Conditions
| | |-+  Aranesp Shots
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Aranesp Shots  (Read 3653 times)
ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« on: December 20, 2007, 12:20:08 PM »

Finally I take the time to look up the shots my mom has been getting at least once a month, but sometimes twice. She will get two shots tomorrow PLUS two units of blood over a 4-hour period. Below is scaring the crap out of me. I just don't understand if there are all these risks why they are still giving her the shots? She is at 27 this week and they like her to be at 35. I think that is the blood oxygen level? They say they don't know WHERE the blood is going. She's had testing done over the years, she remembers one they did a while ago that put dye to see where it flowed. She does have two huge bumps on her stomach that no one knows about either. She had ultrasound done and the doc said that the ultrasound wouldn't show whatever that was just stones they found in her gallbladder. (well, that's another story.) Anyone have insight on these shots? or know of anyone else who's docs don't know where the blood is going? I do have a co-worker that has an Aunt in the same situation.

"Aranesp® is contraindicated in patients with uncontrolled hypertension. Patients with chronic renal failure (CRF) experienced greater risks for death and serious cardiovascular events when administered erythropoiesis-stimulating agents (ESAs) to target higher versus lower hemoglobin levels in two clinical studies. Patients with CRF and an insufficient hemoglobin response to ESA therapy may be at even greater risk for cardiovascular events and mortality than other patients. Aranesp® and other ESAs increased the risks for death and serious cardiovascular events in controlled clinical trials of patients with cancer. These events included myocardial infarction, stroke, congestive heart failure, and hemodialysis vascular access thrombosis. A rate of hemoglobin rise of > 1 g/dL over 2 weeks may contribute to these risks. Seizures have occurred in patients with CRF participating in Aranesp® clinical trials."

As is your sort of mind, so is your sort of search: you will find what you desire.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 05:19:10 PM »

From what I have seen and experienced in renal failure and on dialysis: It is all a crap shoot!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »