I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 05:32:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Rising blood pressure during dialysis
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rising blood pressure during dialysis  (Read 5643 times)
JayO

« on: May 21, 2006, 08:08:19 PM »

Does anyone know what causes blood pressure to steadily rise during a treatment? My mother constantly ends her session at around 220/90.
Yesterday she got as high as 234/98. The k bath is set at 3. I think the sodium is set to 2.5. Yesterday her dry weight was 59k and her post weight  on Thursday was 59k so they only took off .5 and her post ended up at 58.9. She does not eat anything during her time on. Is it possible she is having a reaction to heparin? She is also not receiving epo or iron but she is getting calcium. Any thoughts would be a great help.
Thanks. JayO.
Panda_9

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 03:07:38 AM »

Why arent they taking any fluid off? Dry weight generally means the weight at which you are when your blood pressure is normal and you dont have any fluid retention. Is she on any blood pressure tablets?
fireguy

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 10:12:40 AM »

What is her pulse rate with the high BP?
Rip1

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 01:58:12 PM »

Just thought I would mention one possibility. Her Blood Pressure medicines may be dialyzing our during her treatment. You didn't mention what her BP was at the beginning of treatment. Suggest she consult her doctor. That is way to high. He may need to change or adjust the dosage of her meds. This used to happen to me also, but with medication changes it is under control. I still start at about 80/50 but end at around 120/70. Good luck. :)
JayO

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 10:13:49 PM »

Moms estimated dry weight was 59 kilos but is being brought down to 58 to see how she does. Her pulse is usually between 55 and 65.
Her doctor currently has her on Lebatalol 2-3x, Benazapril 1-2x, Norvasc 1-1x and just added hydrocloraside 1-3x per day. The latest med seems to
be working better as her pressure gets down to around 130/80. She dialysis today and her pressure rose to 202 at the end again. The doctor has ordered the return to one use kidney cartridge to see if it makes a difference, it didn't seem to help today. I do not have  all of todays pressure numbers as my sister  accompanied her today but Thursday she began at 155/64, H.R 64 and steadily rose to 194/70, H.R. 57. Her pressure seems to  rise at a faster rate about two hours into the three hour treatment.
We have surgery scheduled on the 6th of June for her graft access but I may cancell until the pressure gets under control. It seems that the day after her treatment her pressure regulates down but it stays high until after her second dose takes effect (about ten hours). Does anyone know if her high BP could cause problems with the graft? Thank you everyone for the responses. JayO.
Panda_9

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 04:37:37 AM »

JayO, I wouldn't cancel the surgery. The surgeons prefer your BP to be on the high side when doing the surgery for a fistula. Providing its not too high that is. Low BP can cause it to clot. What is your mums overall health like? Does she have any other problems? Heart problems? What are her bloods like?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »