I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 11:37:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  See you in three months
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: See you in three months  (Read 1896 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: December 10, 2007, 06:35:05 PM »

December 10, 2007
Street Smarts: See you in three months
By Genevieve Bookwalter
Street Smarts columnist

This is my last column for a while.

On Dec. 18, I should receive a kidney transplant from my sister. My last day in the newsroom is Friday. I'll be out up to three months recovering.

I was diagnosed almost four years ago with a disease called IgA Nephropathy. Since then, this disease has clogged my kidney filters with protein deposits and almost completely shut them down.

Kidneys clean your blood, so when the filters gum up, toxins that would normally be removed stay in your body. If the kidneys shut down completely, those toxins can build up to levels that are poisonous and deadly.

As a result, patients with kidney failure usually need dialysis -- commonly, that's where your blood is sucked out, cleaned by a machine and put back in -- or a new kidney.

I'm lucky. My sister, who is barely two years younger than me, is giving me one of her kidneys. Barring any last-minute glitches, the surgery will be done next week at UC San Francisco.

I'm also fortunate because I'm receiving a new kidney so fast.

I was placed on the transplant waiting list on June 12. If my sister had not offered me her kidney, I could have waited four years for a new organ from someone who has died. That's the typical wait time for patients needing kidneys in the greater San Francisco Bay Area.

In California, about 20,000 residents are waiting for new organs; of those, about 15,600 need a kidney, according to data compiled by The Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network.

But in 2006, about 1,400 became so sick that they died before receiving the transplant they needed, according to network statistics.

That's where you come in, dear Street Smarts readers.

In 2006, Donate Life California partnered with the California DMV to allow drivers to sign up to be organ donors when they renew their drivers licenses.

Unlike the pink dot "donor" stickers that drivers previously adhered to their licenses -- and which regularly fell off into their wallets -- this time names are recorded in a registry that hospitals can quickly tap to learn your wishes should the unthinkable occur.

The registration also is legally binding -- relatives cannot override a driver's wishes to be an organ donor once that person signs up.

Since the California registry began, more than 2 million of the state's 23 million registered drivers have signed up to be organ donors. Supporters expect more as drivers come in to renew their licenses, which expire every five years.

So my holiday request to all of you is, as you troll the Internet for gifts, visit www.donatelifecalifornia.org. There you can learn more and sign up to be an organ donor, if you haven't done so already.

My favorite gift this year is coming from my sister. I'm already thinking of all the things I want to do when I don't feel sick anymore.

In a future year, you could grant those wishes for someone else.

Genevieve Bookwalter is the Sentinel's transportation writer. 'Street Smarts' appears Mondays. If you have a transportation question or idea, e-mail streetsmarts@santacruzsentinel.com. Be sure to include a name, city of residence and daytime telephone number.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 11:21:23 PM »

Fantastic news about Genevieve's transplant, :yahoo; .  I'm sending love and huge good wishes her way, hope to hear good news soon.  Hugs for her sister too. :grouphug; Hope she will make an appearance on this site and tell us how she got on.

Happy Christmas to all!! :rudolph; :christmastree;
Rose
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 11:12:09 PM by rose1999 » Logged
ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 05:32:28 AM »

Genevieve sure used her 'clout' to do good for the world. Don't feel the same about Oprah. There should be some things that people in the public eye should just stay out of. They sway people to their side just because of who they are - not fair. We need to have an informed race for president. Ok, I digress. I wonder if other states will follow California's example. Sounds like a plan to me.

I pray that Genevieve and her sister have a non-eventful transplant. I believe this article, if spread far enough - thanks for posting okarol, will open a lot of eyes and hearts.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 05:36:19 AM by ODAT » Logged

As is your sort of mind, so is your sort of search: you will find what you desire.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »