I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 05:33:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  And I thought watching TV would be easier. Wrong!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: And I thought watching TV would be easier. Wrong!  (Read 4088 times)
Aldente

« on: November 30, 2007, 04:22:03 PM »

One of the social difficulties of doing dialysis in-center is sharing a TV with other patients.  Programming tastes are very different between people and often worse when men and women are thrown into the mix.  I like to watch Mega Movers, The Military Channel, Engineering Marvels or a good old time Western.  Oprah, soap operas and the countless home decorating shows are more than anyone should be expected to endure.

NxStage means independence to me and I love the freedom.  When I started training I thought to myself, "I get to watch what I want on my own TV, yippee!"  Then came the stark realization that I would not be as independent as I thought.  Now I share the TV with my wife and her program tastes are different than mine.  While I set up the machine and connect myself she moves the remote about three inches past where my hoses reach.  I can see it, but I can't touch it.  This is getting serious. I have nightmares about being trapped on The Price is Right between two screaming jumping crazy people in strange shirts.  It's ugly...very ugly.

Does anyone else have the same problem?

Yes dear, I'll be off the computer in a minute.  Of course I'm not talking about you.

Endure and smile...sigh.  <Very Big Grin> ;)

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 06:24:17 PM »

:)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 07:22:01 PM »

:christmastree; I hope Santa brings you your own TV and tivo and dvd player for Christmas - with cable or dish too!

I love watching tv alone. There are other things to do together - sharing the remote is not one of them, unless we plan on watching something we are both interested in.

I can't believe you had to share in-center -- Jenna's clinic had a tv and headset and channel changer for each patient. Sorry you've been so unlucky!!  :P

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 07:34:03 PM »

I love my DVR... then again, I love having my TV and DVR and all that in my own room, so when people are watching tv on the big screen in the family room, I can either go watch what I want in my room, or go record it and watch it later.  :thumbup;

The one thing i'm saving up for next year, is a new 36" flat screen tv that I am going to hang on my wall, I hate a TV sitting on something, it looks better on the wall.  :P

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 01:22:18 AM »

We used to share one TV for three of us in clinic.  When playoff season was on I NEVER got to watch what I wanted to watch and if they moved you out of your chair, there went your turn with the TV. Now I have no cable TV in clinic. Boooring!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 03:57:46 PM »

Here's hoping you get your own T.V. for Christmas (so hopefully that will STOP THE INSANITY) lol,  better write Santa a letter and add T.V. to the list ;)

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 05:38:32 PM »

Al, buy yourself a universal remote, and hide it in reach of your machine!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Redbomb

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 08:35:12 PM »

Al, buy yourself a universal remote, and hide it in reach of your machine!

heheh .. I was just going to say that.  Or, get a watch that has a T.V. Remote built in.  My friend has one of those.  You should see the bartender scratch his head when the TV suddenly gets a "mind of its own" and starts flicking through the channels!  :)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »