I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2024, 03:36:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  I'm curious about something
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'm curious about something  (Read 4580 times)
Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« on: November 29, 2007, 07:15:44 PM »

I was watching the TV series "Inside American Jail" on CourtTV this evening, and one of the incoming inmates was being asked a bunch of medical questions, including if he was on dialysis. I know that hemo patients in jail are usually taken under guard to a local hospital or dialysis centre, and some larger prisons have their own dialysis units, but does anyone know how PD patients are handled in jail? Since they have to do exchanges every day, or have to be on the cycler every night, I wonder how that is handled, because I don't imagine the inmate would be able to keep there own dialysis supplies in jail. I hope I never have to experience anything like that. The idea of just committing a crime nauseates me.

Adam 

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
Redbomb

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 07:24:58 PM »

Hmm, not that I would, but that would be one way to get the State to pay for your Dialysis.  :)

And yes, the sick thing is that my friend and I had this same conversation about a week ago!  I'm a sick puppy, aren't I?  :)
silverhead

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 09:17:02 PM »

Before Sharon was lucky enough to get in the NxStage program she did some in-center Hemo at a sight that was close to the County Jail, the quite often had to bring in prisoners for treatment, they came in in orange jumpsuits, chained around the waist, were unchained during treatment, but a burly guard had to accompany them and stay with them for the whole treatment period, actually the few I saw were quite pleasant patients, and as one said "how can I escape?, I need treatment 3 days a week, and sure can't get that on the lam".......

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 04:31:05 AM »

and as one said "how can I escape?, I need treatment 3 days a week, and sure can't get that on the lam".......

Bin Laden is doing it.
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 08:57:06 AM »

I also saw prisoners being dialyzed at my dialysis center, and they were actually kept chained to the chair during dialysis, with a policeman sitting next to them through the entire treatment.  What could be more silly, I thought, since there are only a limited number of dialysis centers in Canada, so even if the prisoner could escape, it would be a simple matter to find him in a few days.

There were some legal cases in the United States where federal, state, and county officials were successfully sued by people arrested who were deprived of necessary treatments because no one paid any attention to them when they tried to explain their need for regular medical care.  Most of these lawsuits were by diabetics who were deprived of insulin and syringes in the prison setting.
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 01:48:54 PM »

My husband works in a county jail, and so far as I know, they have never had a PD patient. From what I understand, though, it would depend on the severity of the crime. If it was something fairly minor (driving w/o license, DUI, etc), the person would probably be released of their own recognizance...basically, promise you'll be good, and you can go until your court date. Anything more serious, they do have a medical area, and I would think that the inmate would be kept in a cell there. Nurses and deputies constantly monitor these cells, and they are secluded from the other inmates.

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 02:06:31 PM »

Hmm, not that I would, but that would be one way to get the State to pay for your Dialysis. :)

And yes, the sick thing is that my friend and I had this same conversation about a week ago! I'm a sick puppy, aren't I? :)

You'd also have a roof over your head, clothing and food. Quality cable service and someone doing your laundry. Your religious needs would be met because it is a violation of your rights if they didn't. You'd have acess to gym facilities and could earn a college degree.  :o
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 10:07:21 AM »

You'd have acess to gym facilities and could earn a college degree.  :o

You're tihinking of prison, not jail. Prison is for those who have already been convicted of their crime, jail is for those who are either awaiting trail or are in for very minor things. :)

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 02:05:46 PM »

You'd have acess to gym facilities and could earn a college degree.  :o

You're tihinking of prison, not jail. Prison is for those who have already been convicted of their crime, jail is for those who are either awaiting trail or are in for very minor things. :)

I always wondered if there was a difference. Thanks!

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007, 02:16:56 PM »

Well, we have a prisoner on dialysis.  He told me that he had been in a large Federal medical facility in the States.  He was recently extradited.  He comes with 2 prison guards and 2 policemen.  It seems that he is not yet convicted.  He is a very pleasant guy. But he is on hemo, so this topic doesn't really apply to him.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »