I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2024, 10:41:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Radical new treatment could end transplant crisis by stopping bodies rejecting
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Radical new treatment could end transplant crisis by stopping bodies rejecting  (Read 1473 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: November 24, 2007, 05:35:59 PM »

Radical new treatment could end transplant crisis by stopping bodies rejecting new organs

By RHODRI PHILLIPS -
24th November 2007

A radical treatment that "rinses" organs and then implants them with patients' DNA is being hailed as a solution to the transplant crisis.

Currently, more than 7,500 Britons are on the transplant waiting list. One dies each day because of the lack of suitable donors.

Unless a donor's tissue type is a close match, the recipient's body will reject the new organ. But trials in the US using pigs and rats suggest that this does not happen if the donor organ's genetic material is "washed away" and replaced with a patient's stem cells.

The recipient's immune system then recognises the treated organ's cells as its own.

British researchers say the breakthrough is ingenious. Professor Dame Julia Polak, a tissue engineering expert at Imperial College, London, said: "The principle is very sound. I am hopeful the technique could work on humans."

The process involves washing a donated organ with salt water to remove any blood and rinsing it with up to ten gallons of a special detergent. Tens of thousands of the recipient's stem cells are then grafted on to what is left of the organ and these grow into living tissue.

After a few days, the modified organ is ready to be transplanted into the patient's body.

Professor Doris Taylor, of the University of Minnesota, who is leading the research, said: "Our aim is to prevent thousands of deaths every year among patients who have no suitable donor. We've been working on this for two years and are very excited about the progress so far."

Another benefit for patients is that the new technique, reported at an American Heart Association's meeting earlier this month, would end the need for transplant patients to take a cocktail of anti-rejection drugs for the rest of their lives.

It also means organs could potentially be stockpiled for weeks after being removed from their donors.

The US scientists warn that there is still a long way to go, but they are very hopeful that ultimately they will find the answer to the donor crisis.

Earlier this year, Professor Sir Liam Donaldson, the chief medical officer for England, called for a system in which everyone became a potential donor unless they specifically opted out, but this idea was widely rejected.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/health/healthmain.html?in_article_id=496164&in_page_id=1766&ito=1490

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 09:29:30 PM »

As much as I like to believe that this will happen soon, I am reminded of all the so called break through's for diabetes. Just have to wait and see before I get my hopes up. Plus how are they able to "stock pile organs", what happened to the time window to get an organ transplanted once removed.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012