I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2024, 09:10:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  You’re my lifesaver: first kidney swappers to meet
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: You’re my lifesaver: first kidney swappers to meet  (Read 1481 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: November 24, 2007, 04:39:38 PM »

November 25, 2007

You’re my lifesaver: first kidney swappers to meet

Sarah-Kate Templeton Health Editor

THE smiles of relief say it all. These two families who have never met have given each other the chance of a long and healthy future.

Margaret Wearn, from Portsmouth, and Donald Planner, from St Austell, Cornwall, both suffered from kidney failure and were dependent on renal dialysis sessions. Family members offered to donate kidneys but none could provide a match.

In a remarkable exchange, Margaret’s husband donated a kidney to Donald , whose daughter gave one of hers to Margaret.

Until this weekend the two families had been unaware of each other’s identity. But they agreed to waive anonymity to show how much a change in legislation, which allowed the landmark operations to go ahead, can help to fight Britain’s organ shortage.

The swap was made possible by the legislation introduced by the Human Tissue Authority (HTA), a government agency. Until September last year, living donors were allowed to give kidneys only to those who were genetically or emotionally related, such as husband to wife.

The families have now spoken of the unique exchange and are to thank each other in person when they meet for the first time this Christmas.

Roger Wearns, a finance director, had wanted to donate one of his kidneys to Margaret, a restaurant supervisor, but as his tissue did not match he welcomed the paired donation programme as a way of helping his wife.

“For me, this was no different from giving a kidney to Margaret directly,” he said. “The aim was to give Margaret a better life. Margaret was heavily reliant on the dialysis machine, which she had to go on for about nine hours every night as well as taking a lot of medication.”

Donald’s daughter, Suzanne Wills, who is married with two sons, says she did not need to think twice about giving one of her kidneys to another family if it meant that her sick father would receive one in return. “I didn’t hesitate,” she said. “I was doing this for my dad.

I wouldn’t be here without him. My youngest son didn’t fully understand the complexity of the operation, but he understood that I was giving part of my body for grandad and he was happy with that.”

The Wearn and Planner families swapped kidneys in simultaneous operations at two hospitals on October 23. Planner, 69, and Wills, 43, prepared for the surgery at Derriford hospital, part of Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust. At the same time, Margaret and Roger Wearn got ready for their operations at the Queen Alexandra hospital, part of Portsmouth Hospitals NHS Trust.

Both families had the option of pulling out of the deal up to the last minute, so doctors made regular telephone calls to ensure that they still wanted to go ahead.

Jamie Barwell, one of the transplant surgeons in Plymouth, said: “We were operating simultaneously and were in telephone contact with the team in Portsmouth both before we started the operation and also before we made any irreparable steps to remove the kidney.

“The kidneys were simultaneously packed in ice and couriered by ambulance between Plymouth and Portsmouth.”

In the preservation boxes carrying the kidneys, the two families had packed greetings cards, wishing each other well.

The card from the Wearns said: “Thank you for joining us in this great opportunity to improve the quality of all of our lives. With our love and best wishes for a brighter future. From your friends in Portsmouth.”

The note from Wills said: “To donor B, thank you so much. Good luck. Love donor A.”

Although the families did not know each other’s identities until this weekend, they regularly asked for news of their counterpart’s recovery. They were delighted to hear that both operations had been a success.

Paul Gibbs, one of the surgeons in Portsmouth, said close communication between the two teams was the key to the operations running smoothly.

This is the second kidney swap in Britain but the first in which the two families have simultaneously spoken out about their operations.

Also this weekend a “Good Samaritan” donor spoke for the first time about her altruistic act to encourage others to do the same.

Three Good Samaritan donations have now taken place, but Barbara Ryder, 59, a nurse from Launceston, Cornwall, is the first to have agreed to speak about why she gave part of her body to someone she will never meet.

“I consider myself very fortunate,” said Ryder. “I have my little place in the country. I have my pets and I have a beautiful grandson.” When people approach 60 I think they do start thinking ‘I have been lucky’.

“I cannot climb mountains but I thought giving away a kidney is something I can do for others.”

Unlike the swap in which the families gave a kidney to strangers and received an organ in return, Ryder gained nothing from the surgery other than fulfilling her desire to help others.

This type of donation was also made possible under new rules introduced by the HTA. There should be no impact on the health of a donor, though there is a slight chance they could need dialysis or a transplant themselves if their remaining kidney fails.

There are more than 7,500 patients on the organ transplant waiting list and about 1,000 patients die every year because they do not get the transplant they need.

The HTA anticipates that up to 50 kidney swaps and 10 Good Samaritan donations can be carried out each year. Forty families prepared to swap kidneys have registered to try to be matched up with donors and recipients early next year.

Adrian McNeil, chief executive of the HTA, said: “Paired and altruistic donations are landmarks that give new hope.”

Chris Rudge, managing and transplant director of UK Transplant, the NHS body that allocates organs, added: “The donors undoubtedly deserve thanks for their generous acts.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/health/article2937072.ece

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »