I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 04:22:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  What do you enjoy eating that is on, or close to, the renal diet?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What do you enjoy eating that is on, or close to, the renal diet?  (Read 5296 times)
Sara
Elite Member

« on: February 06, 2006, 07:48:14 AM »

I know that not everyone is restricting their food, and Joe is not completely restricting either, just trying to cut back.  So I figured if someone has found something actually good to eat that is on the renal diet, it would be helpful.

Two things that Joe REALLY likes is fish and white rice.  He was told he should eat a lot of lean protein (fish) and white rice was fine, so he's happy about that.  He fried tilapia filets in some olive oil in the pan (olive oil is ok right?) with some pepper and they were actually really good.  Really crispy but really good.

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
Peter Fraser

Upside-down down under

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 12:57:27 PM »

I know that not everyone is restricting their food, and Joe is not completely restricting either, just trying to cut back.  So I figured if someone has found something actually good to eat that is on the renal diet, it would be helpful.

Two things that Joe REALLY likes is fish and white rice.  He was told he should eat a lot of lean protein (fish) and white rice was fine, so he's happy about that.  He fried tilapia filets in some olive oil in the pan (olive oil is ok right?) with some pepper and they were actually really good.  Really crispy but really good.

I enjoy white rice heaps, but you should watch the flluid content as it is 1.5 times more than the actual weight of the rice. and we all know that fluid is a problem!! it is for me i put on about 2-3 between each treatment and that is probably 2 much??

Peter Fraser
Upside down down under
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 03:09:15 PM »

That fish and white rice sound like a good idea.  The thing is, in my home island, we almost never eat white rice just like that.  It must have some kind of peas in it.  In the other Caribbean islands, however, they do eat white rice with nothing in it.  So that has been good for me, as I am not in my home island.
What I have quite a bit is Turkeyburgers.  I have a cholesterol problem which I have to watch out for, even as I consume the necessary protein.  I also use turkey as a substitute for beef.  In the supermarkets here, you can find turkey drumstick cut transversely or cut into cubes.  I make a mean curry with turkey.
I also cut the turkeyburgers into tiny cubes and along with some cabbage and carrot julienned, I make a tasty chowmein with noodles.  Since my potassium has always been a very acceptable level, I feel free to eat the veggies that I like.
To me, the important thing is not overdoing anything and making sure you take your calcium/phosporus binders.  That is what I have been doing and my blood results are looking quite good.  My cholesterol has gone down a bit even though it is still higher than it should be.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
kevno

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 03:39:38 PM »

With a new renal patient, the main problem is the fluid.  You have to be carefull of your fluid intake.  To much and it can be a killer, I have known a few renal patient, mainly there own fault, drunk themselves to death.  Everything as fluid in.  The rice, ice creams, jelly's, gravy and so on. Just do everyting in moderation.  You will find out your limits.  Mainly with your Bp and your weight. Swelling of the ankles heart rate fast. You have a target wt?

Now to the FOOD! Just eat in moderation food with phosphate in.  Cheese is my down fall, you can take phosphate binders.  I take 12 calcium 500 Tab.  4 with each meal.

potassium (K) In foods I love again chocolate, bananas, kiwi fruit. well most fruits. I have a Choc bar the first hour as a treat on the machine so then it gives the machine time to clear the potassium out of my body.

Sorry if I have not been much help, but it is very hard and each renal patient is differant.  I know one patient who eats Choc bars, bananas on his days off the machine.  His K is only 4, My last result was 4.7 and I  never eat Choc, or bananas off the machine. Sometimes this renal diet is not fair.

You will lean by your blood results, how much you can have or in many cases not have.

Yours

Kevno
(Be carefull, know your limits.)

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 07:34:13 PM »

When I was really sick and I had NO appetite, the dietition suggested "Nepro" Specialized Complete Nutrition with FOS for electrolyte and fluid restrictions.  She gave me about 10 cans and I think it saved my life.  It is an 8oz can drink that taste like a milkshake.  I had no appetite, but I knew I needed something to keep me alive.  They come in Vanilla, Butter Pecan, Cherry Supreme.  I didn't try the Cherry Supreme.  They are expensive, but I'm going to order a six-pack to have on hand.  They are $13.00 for a six-pack and that includes shipping (I think).  It uses up your fluid quota, but if you are sick and need something you probably aren't drinking much either.

In the United States the toll free number to order is 1-800-986-8502.  Tell them Rerun sent you (Kidding on that part) ;D

I don't know if they have a website.

Anyway, they were pretty good even when I wasn't hungry.

Bear

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 10:51:17 PM »

I had something similar (to "Nepro") given to me by the dietician, when I first went onto P.D. and could hardly face any food.
THey came in vanilla, banana & strawberry & were in tetrapax, not canz. I forget the name of em.  I expect there's a similar thing in the U.K.
I too enjoy the 'baddies' like banana or chocolate, as in fact advised by the Home Haemo unit nurse, during that first hour on the Machine.
But I'm much better on haemo anyway, with a decent appetite, so self-control is very difficult ::)

waves...Bear
Naggy6

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 03:13:19 PM »

Ok so I'm a little late to this thread but what the heck.

I love marshmellow fluff ;D no fluid no phos.

Isn't it nice to go where every body knows your name.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 03:46:35 PM »

mmmmmmm...marshmallow fluff.  Now something HAS to be bad in that.  All the sugar, probably.  But oh what a taste. Yummy!

Katherine

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Naggy6

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 05:22:05 PM »

mmmmmmm...marshmallow fluff.  Now something HAS to be bad in that.  All the sugar, probably.  But oh what a taste. Yummy!

Katherine

sugar is ok with me empty calories, no fat. As long as your not diabetic. Sorry to those of you who are I'll try and see if I can't find something that is just as tasty.

Isn't it nice to go where every body knows your name.
fireguy

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 01:03:29 PM »

http://www.lowsodiumcooking.com ,clink on recipe archive watch the potassium and and the phosphorus, easy on the fluids and enjoy.

also have a collection of various recipes we have adapted , willing to share EMail rsleg@nbnet.nb.ca, myself or Rachelle will send you some of the ones we have enjoyed.

also key in KIDNEY KITCHEN: ALBERTA KIDNEY FOUNDATION

glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 06:14:40 PM »

You could google the Irish kidney foundation page-they have some really excellent recipes

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2007, 11:45:15 PM »

:bump;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »