I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 04:32:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Sometimes the forever-ness gives me a jolt
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sometimes the forever-ness gives me a jolt  (Read 5692 times)
Deanne
Elite Member

« on: November 13, 2007, 09:40:49 AM »

Last night I was taking my meds before bed, wondering if I'd have even more meds to take once I have to start dialysis. The permanence of kidney disease gave me a jolt, as it sometimes does. This is my life. It'll never be any better, but it will get much, much worse. I've never known normalcy because I was diagnosed young (9 years old).

Then I shrugged and crawled into bed. I think it just hit me again because in the past few months my nephew was diagnosed with FSGS (my diagnosis), and my brother was just diagnosed with prostate cancer that has spread to a lymph node.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 09:54:15 AM »

I have been dealing with the foreverness of it all, too lately. 

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 10:02:59 AM »

I have been dealing with the foreverness of it all, too lately. 
What's with that... I have recently also been thinking about it too... Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 10:31:29 AM »

Hang in thereDeanne, Kitkatz and Box, it's a tough road and those around you have no idea.  :grouphug; We care.
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 10:44:54 AM »

I don't know your transplant history or prospects, but I can say that, although endstage renal failure is a permanent condition, it can become a purely theoretical issue, visible only in your medical records, while you have a functioning transplant, since you feel, look, and act just like healthy people.

For some reason greeting card manufacturers seem to share the ordinary person's presumption that what always happens when you get sick is that you go to the doctor or, if it is really serious, to the hospital, get treated, get cured, and then come back home and you are fine.  So the greeting cards you get when you become sick always say, "Get well quickly!"  I always thought that for renal failure, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, Huntington's disease, and all the other incurable diseases, they should have cards that read, "Get worse slowly!"
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 10:59:22 AM »

I always thought that for renal failure, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, Huntington's disease, and all the other incurable diseases, they should have cards that read, "Get worse slowly!"

:rofl; Although, if I actually got one, I think I'd be sad.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 11:00:53 AM »

That's so appropriate and I love your sense of humor Stauffenberg!   :rofl;

EDITED:  Fixed  :rofl; icon - Goofynina/Admin.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 03:05:54 PM by goofynina » Logged

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 11:46:22 AM »

So true, Stauffenberg!!! I have gotten get well cards that say that, get well soon. I just look at them and shake my head. I ain't GONNA get well soon. All I can hope for is to get worse later!!!
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 03:08:13 PM »

Sorry you all are feeling that way, call me guilty for feeling the same way too, but i snap out of it and say, this is still MY life and i have to make the best out of it dammit!!! (then i go and lay down and take a nap) lol,   All we can do is hang in there and make the best of what we got, and let me tell you, i couldnt do it without all of you thats for darn sure  :grouphug;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 03:15:25 PM »

I understand exactly where you're coming from Deanne.  As I was taking five different medications before going to bed I realized how expensive it is to keep me alive.  And then I wondered if I, as an individual, am really worth all this trouble.

I too have been dealing with this condition since I was ten years old.  Two kidney transplants and a total of five of my thirty seven years on Dialysis.  I've known since I was young I was living on borrowed time and given the medical technology, if I had been born thirty years earlier, I wouldn't have survived.

It's all too much to think about sometimes and I try not to get overwhelmed.

When I finally get to heaven, God sure has a helluva lot of explainin' to do.

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 05:25:09 PM »

I liked the word "forever-ness".   It seems with so many illnesses, people get sick, go to the doctor and after a certain period of time - they are cured.  Simple--but not with organ failure. It helps me to hear others voice their fears, concerns, and dissapointments.   Thanks for sharing your feelings with us :grouphug;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 05:50:00 PM »

I too have felt that I am not worth $40,000 a month to keep alive.  I can get on such a huge soap box on the cost of dialysis or medical care in general. 

I too have felt that "I'm never going to get better only worse" so what's the point of trying.

But, something keeps me going.  I think it is God.  He put me here for a reason, even if it is to suck Medicare dry.  But, I know through his sacrifice on the cross I will live in eternity (forever-ness) with Him.  I'm looking forward to that.  But, my time will come and it is not today.

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 08:06:32 PM »

If I put the word forever and dialysis together in my mind I freak out big time.  So I have to take it one day at a time.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 06:27:04 PM »

More times than I can count, since Jenna's transplant, people say "Oh thank goodness she's cured!" I know the reality of kidney disease - it's good while it's good but life with kidney disease is a constant state of adapting and learning and hoping and treating it the best way possible. I get a great deal of encouragement reading other people's stories here on IHD - you truly are a resilient and courageous group!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Lulu

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2007, 07:02:46 PM »

:rant; I have been thinking about the forever-ness of this lately too. Some days I just wnat to throw my fricking pillbox off of a cliff. Of course, I live in Florida the fricking flatest place on the planet (besides Kansas)!! No cliffs here!! Damn!  :lol; I agree with rerun! I start dialysis soon. I have to meet my access surgeon next week and I can't help thinking what is the point of all of this?? If I was my own pet I would of had to have been put asleep a long, long time ago. Matter of fact I had to put my beautiful shetland sheepdog "Pepper" down 12/13/03 for something way less benign than kidney disease. I know this is not a reasonable comparision. It is just every once in a while I think why am I still here?

My local restaurant has a sign that says "Having good health just means you're dying at a slower rate."  :beer1;

I think "the good health people" don't always have the "why am I here and what am I here to do?" conversation as often with themselves as we do. The sicker I get the more I have those thoughts.

Thanks for this post. It is nice to know I not alone with these thoughts.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2007, 07:31:47 PM »

Great post Lulu.

Even though I now have a transplant, and I pray it lasts longer than 20 years since it's a perfect match... however.. I can't help but think about when I am going to be going on dialysis again, as I do know unless I die in the next 20-30 years, I will be going back on it in my life time. It sucks to know that... it's depressing to know that in fact. I just try to focus on the "now" and look at my beautiful children and am just thankful I have been given this chance to live as normally as possible for however long with them.

:grouphug;

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2007, 07:34:18 PM »

"We all have to die--everyone of us.  It is how we choose to live that matters. After all, it is the only life each of us will ever have, so how we live is of paramount importance."    Quoted from Richard, in Terry Goodkind's book Confessor Pg. 75

lifenotonthelist.com

zekewolfy

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2007, 03:06:00 AM »

ME TOO. I ponder on how worse things will get. I know I won't live very long. I know my wife will move on and find someone else after a time and have a normal life. What did we do to deserve such a curse? I can't help but cry and cry and cry. I remember having a NDE when I had my AV fitula put it.
I think I saw what comes after this miserable existence. It was a place of peace, and calmness. When I was there I wanted to stay but told it was not my time. I guess I had a LOT MORE SUFFARAGE to go through. This disease is horrible,it makes you hate yourself and everyone and everything around you. I don't know, maybe I am trying to do to much, work full time and support a household. I don't know how long I can keep it toghther anymore.

Sorry..just venting!!
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2007, 07:58:12 AM »

I feel for the young people on this site who have to dialyse. I can't imagine what it must feel like when you're  not able to live life to the full at a young age. At 59 years old I'm dealing with this I think easier than if say I was twenty years younger and I'm so lucky that I am staying well and as yet not debilitated. To all on this forum who are suffering, especially the young I send my love and best wishes. :grouphug; 

Ken
KR Cincy

Home hemodialysis since May 07

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2007, 08:16:29 AM »

The forever-ness is overwhelming. Actually, so many steps in this journey have been overwhelming. Hearing the words "cancer", "nephrectomy" and "dialysis" for the first time as they related to me...no longer in some far-fetched clinical sense, but all of this had to do with me at that moment.

I don't know if I've yet fully realized that I'll never be the same as I once was. Even if I do make it my five years before I'm allowed a transplant and get one, I'll be 51 and, as I've learned from my time on IHD, the transplant isn't the end, just another beginning.

I know I struggle with the things that make me abnormal as I begin doing more and more "normal" things...those things that are different stand out even more now - the scheduling 4 hours a day for treatment, the pills at every meal, the diet, the nasty way my arm looks from the fistula and sticks, the not being able to have a beer with friends while watching the Buckeye game.

But I'm still here, and I'm not in pain (usually) and I'm not suffering and, for the most part, I'm doing all the things I was doing before...maybe in a different way, but I am living my life. I hold out hope for huge advancements in transpant therapy and dialysis...I hope to do something positive since I'm in this position (I'm already signed up to do some volunteer work for the American Cancer Society and the Kidney Foundation of Greater Cincinnati) and if I can not let the forever-ness get to me, I might just stick around for awhile and be happy about it.

Not giving up...thanks to Susan.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2007, 08:33:12 PM »

I know I am not the same person I was nine years ago.  I have changed.  I had a near death experience when all of this happened and made a choice to return to this life and be here for now.  It changed the way I look at life that is for sure.  Dialysis is going to be a part of my life whether I work with it or not.  Sigh!

lifenotonthelist.com

Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2007, 08:43:00 PM »

But it also gives me hope that I will see my grandson grow up.  People like you who have gone nine years and are still going, on dialysis, do that for me.  So keep on keeping on, forever!

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »