I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 02:20:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  When to go back to work after transplant?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: When to go back to work after transplant?  (Read 4336 times)
mmmmdeedee

« on: September 26, 2007, 09:59:13 PM »

Hi guys:

I had my transplant on 07/24/07. That was after about 16 months on ccpd dialysis. I took off about 4 days before the transplant. My boss, the director of the department, asked me how long I would be out. He asked me this about 3 times I think he just didn't like the previous answers. He said he figured about 1 month. I told him at least two. He was surprised at this.

Now my boss is not a bad person. I think just a little bit naive about these things. Even when I was working full-time (with a createnine at 10.1) he still thought I should be carrying a full load and more.

Anyway, I saw my neph today and I asked him when I could get back to work. He said I should wait until the 3-month mark. That is still at least 3 weeks away. I was hoping I could go in this Monday although I have so many things to do, the extra time would be nice. I also know that once I go back - I am back. No let ups for me and probably no big considerations but what I have been through. Thats why I want to make sure that when I do go back, it will be when I am really ready and able.

I do administrative work so it's not that tough, just grueling if that makes sense.

Well, just wanted to know what you others think.

PS: My createnine level has been hovering between .8 and 1.0!! Isn't that great??!! My brother's huge kidney is really kicking butt for me.

1st on dialysis: 1986
1st transplant: 1990
1st failure: 05/06
CCPD
2nd transplant 07/24/07
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 10:05:47 PM »

The normal wait before going back to work is 3 months. However, If your feeling fine at 2 months, I would talk to your doctor about it and let him know you are ready to go back and let him know what kind of job you have.

Good luck.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Roxy

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 11:09:17 PM »

I think a major part of the concern is being immunosuppressed and the stress of the work environment plus being surrounded by people. I was going to go back to work at 3mths but then my wbc dropped and i got a viral infection so i waited another month and am going to hopefully work in the next week or so. I just like being on the cautious side because if something does happen and you need more time off I would assume it would be more straining on you to take off from work again rather than just staying off work a little bit longer. Just my  :twocents;
Good luck with your decision!  :grouphug;
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 12:18:37 AM »

People who aren't familiar with kidney disease and transplant just have no clue. Three months off is the standard that is usually applied for a number of reasons and it makes sense.  Your boss is thinking of the needs of the workplace and probably doesn't have a grasp on what happened with your transplant and why it is necessary to be away for the whole three months.

When I was transplanted I remember wanting to get back to work about a month after the transplant.  I was feeling guilty about sitting around not doing much when I was done with dialysis and was chomping at the bit to get back to work.  The one thing that kept me out for the entire three months was lab and clinic appointments.  My company doesn't offer much in terms of sick leave and a trip to the transplant center was a 300 mile roundtrip.  Each trip down and back would have wiped out a day of sick leave for later in the year if I had gone back while I was still making frequent visits to the center.

You probably were medically excused for three months by your transplant team.  If you don't have an excuse in hand, asking for one now might not be a bad idea.  3 more weeks isn't going to affect your employer that much at this point so hopefully they can be patient a short while longer.

Taking care of yourself and not going back until you really feel ready should be a priority.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 07:21:38 AM by livecam » Logged
tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 01:26:08 AM »

Actually saw my surgeon today, and this was one of my questions on my list. With the admin work I do, being approx 20 hours a week and that my workplace is five minutes from home with only three people working there he says I could be back within six weeks. I'll be happy with that but will believe it when it happens, if it happens that way lol

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 08:05:19 AM »

I got my transplant on August 16, 2005 and was on a plane for an 8000-mile trip back home on August 20. 2005  I moved to a new address 300 miles away from my home and started work at my new job on September 4, 2005 and never had any serious problems with it.  I simply felt so much more energetic after getting off dialysis and returning to life with a functioning kidney, that even the stress of a new job, after 8 years of unemployment because of dialysis, seemed manageable.  I had some trouble because my office was at the top of several flights of stairs, but I still was able to function with no complaints from my employer, despite having the added pressure of a CMV infection plus the heavy schedule of appointments for lab work, diagnostics, and nephrology appointments.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 08:17:12 AM »

Glad it worked that way for you, but don't believe that time frame is recommended for many transplant patients.  Take time, let your body adjust and stay away from all those germs and illnesses of others.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 08:28:26 AM »

I got my transplant on August 16, 2005 and was on a plane for an 8000-mile trip back home on August 20. 2005.

Was that trip from Medical City?

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
mmmmdeedee

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 12:14:18 PM »

See? This is my quandry. I feel fine. But, again, I don't want to go back and realize that I am still recuperating. I am fine as long as I am at home and doing my piddly errands and chores around the house. Add in people coming from all directions and deadlines and I am not sure how I will feel.

I talked to one of them mgrs today and he said another gentleman was out for a long time - neck surgery. He came back for two days and realized it was too soon. He is out for another 3 weeks now. He said exactly what I was thinking. He felt fine at home, but just getting ready for work, coming into work, and dealing with issues all day was just too much for him. And this is a young studly guy.

Then I hear about other people doing really great things after transplants (i.e., Stauffenberg) and then I feel guilty as heck. Like I am trying to get by with something or am slacking off.

Yes, all of my sick leave is gone but I still accrue annual leave throughout the year and they only took half of it when I went out on STD. So I still have time left for my appts - down to two times a month, depending. It takes me about 5 hours total for the appt. The drive (1-1/2 hours) and then the wait at clinic.

Geez, I guess I might cut the time in half. He wants me to take another month off, maybe I'll try for two weeks. Sorry guys, just kind of thinking out loud trying to figure it out.

Thanks for the input ya'll!!

CCPD
2nd transplant 07/24/07
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 01:51:43 PM »

I was cleared to go back to work in 4 weeks but asked for another week because I had two appointments coming up and didn't want to go back a day and take another one off right away. I wasn't even worrying about going back. I had called to see if I could drive the mile and a half to go to the dentist and they said by the way you can go back to work.  :lol; iI work in the dental clinic of a state facility for adults with physical and developemental disabilites. I wear protective gear and sanitize like crazy.
I did ok. It helped my recovery to get back to my routine. I was tired of watching Sponge Bob.
Don't feel guilty at all. You have been through so much. If you feel like it is too much, that's ok. Take as much time as you need. Hopefully you won't ever have to be off work for a long time again.
Jill D.

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 08:35:11 PM »

It was recommended to me to take 4 months off. Luckily, I have a very understanding boss. I went back after 2 months, starting around 2 hours a day. I did what I wanted and no one expected anything from me. I did a couple of side projects for my boss and did some support work for the people that were covering for me. I am in sales and it is a very stressful, deadline driven job so I did not let clients know that I was back at work, even though I missed them!. I did this for 2 months until I went for my 4 month follow up. By then I had worked back up to full time and had started to make some sales calls. I mostly didn't want to be exposed to too many germs since it was cold and flu season. (I had my transplant Dec. 5 and officially went back full time the first week of April.)

Diagnosed with FSGS in1990.
Started hemodialysis in April 2006.
Received a new kidney from my sister on Dec. 5, 2006.
Transplant rejection in March, 2009
Approved for second transplant in May 2009
Sister-in-law approved as donor in Dec 2009
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 07:32:47 AM »

mmmmdee, do you work full-time? Would it be possible to return part-time for a few weeks and build slowly back up to full-time? Then, if it's too soon, at least they're not expecting you the full 40 hours.

I had my second transplant in March and was told to stay out of work for three months, as well...perfect timing in the southeast US, I got to enjoy the beautiful spring weather on my back deck and went back to work just as the really hot weather set in.  ;D

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
mmmmdeedee

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 02:29:05 PM »

I do work full-time. I probably could return as part-time but you know how that goes. Stuff on your desk means you stay a little bit longer than you meant to stay. Plus, if you're there at noon, when you are supposed to leave, and a boss gives you a length assignment, what do you do? Of course you stay because you already feel bad for taking so much time off.

I will try for the two weeks. It seems like people are returning anywhere between 3 weeks and 4 months. What a huge difference? I guess this is just the difference between all of the doctors around the world!

CCPD
2nd transplant 07/24/07
rimbo74

My older brother and me (I'm on the right)

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2007, 08:06:39 PM »

I took a week off work to move out of my apartment before my transplant, which was on July 31st.  I'm still on disability and plan to go back to work on Nov 5th.  The only reason why I'm going back then is because my pay would go from 100% down to 60%.   ;D

1986 - Diagnosed with Alport's Syndrome
10/29/06 - Told Kidneys failed
02/07-07/07 - PD Dialysis
07/31/07 - Kidney Transplant (donor was my older brother)
mmmmdeedee

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2007, 02:35:43 PM »

Thanks for your input Rimbo. How are you doing by the way?

CCPD
2nd transplant 07/24/07
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2007, 02:51:47 PM »

Otto went back after 2weeks with his first transplant, he was going crazy.

mmmmdeedee

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2007, 04:13:25 PM »

My God! I could barely walk straight after two weeks!

CCPD
2nd transplant 07/24/07
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2007, 04:37:20 PM »

He walked 2blks 4 days after transplant to go eat Chinese, he was driving evreyone nuts at the hospital wanting passes to leave the grounds.

rimbo74

My older brother and me (I'm on the right)

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2007, 08:13:06 PM »

Like Lola I was feeling great after two weeks, could do pretty much anything except for over doing it.  I feel great, had an appt today and my brothers kidney (my kidney now) is providing me with 106% kidney function.  That's a long way from my 6% function when I went in.   :bandance;

1986 - Diagnosed with Alport's Syndrome
10/29/06 - Told Kidneys failed
02/07-07/07 - PD Dialysis
07/31/07 - Kidney Transplant (donor was my older brother)
Jill D.

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2007, 08:15:28 PM »

WOW! That's great! I don't think my GFR has been over 50 since my transplant (which, like you said, is way better than 6!)

Diagnosed with FSGS in1990.
Started hemodialysis in April 2006.
Received a new kidney from my sister on Dec. 5, 2006.
Transplant rejection in March, 2009
Approved for second transplant in May 2009
Sister-in-law approved as donor in Dec 2009
oswald

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2007, 10:54:42 AM »

i went back to work installing floorcoverings in about 2 months. my docs said i should not work for three months. i took it easy and watched how i felt. if i thought i was doing to much, i'd stop for a couple of days.  my helpers are very understanding. 

ESRD 11/95
1st Transplant 7/1996 (failed; Nephrectomy 12/1996)
2nd Transplant 3/1999 (lasted 6 years)
3rd Transplant 5/2007 (lasted 4 years)
vandie

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2007, 07:56:31 AM »

I started back to work 3 months post transplant.  I feel great, and I am able to work a normal 40-hour week.  I did promise myself and my fabulous new kidney that I wouldn't work 10- and 12-hour days like I did before I was sick. 

xoxo 

Life is the journey, not the destination.