I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 10:30:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  My 95th Trip To Bonehead Medical Center
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My 95th Trip To Bonehead Medical Center  (Read 2805 times)
LifeOnHold

« on: August 19, 2005, 09:54:23 AM »

In which I discover that the only way to get anything accomplished is to have a conniption and scare the nurses

(Author's note: The hospital in question had the initials "BMC", so I made up a snide name to go with them.)

In 1991, I suffered a major rejection of my transplanted kidney, and I was hospitalized for over a week. I lost a great deal of blood and there was some question as to whether I'd make it out of the hospital without a toe-tag on. But I am just too stubborn to die, and my condition gradually improved to the point where everything again started to aggravate me-- the first few days, I'd been in a uremic stupor and barely noticed what was going on around me. But when I regained awareness, I realized that I was going to have to take control of the situation before the aggravations piled up and became rage.

The biggest hassle was how my dialysis treatments were at odds with meal times: Lunch was delivered to my bedside a mere ten minutes before the surly nurse's aide came with a wheelchair to bring me down to dialysis. I was having to wolf down my lunch and hobble into the bathroom to brush my teeth before she came barging into my room loudly 'reminding' me that it was time for dialysis. Then, after my treatment, I was left to languish in another wheelchair while the charge nurse paged for a volunteer to bring me back to my room. By the time I got back to my bed, the dinner tray was already being taken away, and I hadn't even touched it yet!

After two days of this, I was hungry, cranky, and spoiling for a fight. It seemed that no matter how much I complained, no one had the authority to do anything about it.

The next dialysis day rolled around (I had three treatments a week), and on this day I took my sweet ol' time eating lunch, looking up every now and then to see if the Aide With An Attitude was there yet. I finished eating and pushed my IV pole into the bathroom. I'd just uncapped my toothpaste when in strolled the nurse's aide. She loudly announced that it was time to go to dialysis, and that's when I let her have it.

"I am really getting sick and tired of this! You've got to let me have more than ten goddamned minutes to eat lunch and get cleaned up!" I yelled at her, making sure that EVERYONE in the hallway could hear me. A nurse rushed into the room and wanted to know what the trouble was. I told her, and the nurse's aide disappeared down the hallway, never to be seen again. A volunteer was paged and he brought me down to dialysis. As usual, when I got back to my room the cafeteria worker was removing my tray, but I told her I'd just gotten out of dialysis and hadn't eaten yet, so she left it.

I wondered if my little temper-tantrum had accomplished anything-- I'd noticed that things got forgotten about a lot more often if your room was at the end of the hall, as mine was. Even when I pressed the call button, it took forever to get someone in my room, so it'd probably be back to the same old crap the next time I had to go to dialysis.

So I was pleasantly surprised when, on the next dialysis day, I got my lunch tray at 11:25! I asked my day nurse about it, and she said that when my doctor had heard about my dialysis-mealtime conflict, he'd told the cafeteria to send up my lunch a half-hour early so that I could have an unhurried meal. You can bet that he was thanked when I saw him at rounds the next morning!

I'm really convinced that if I hadn't yelled at that nurse's aide, I never would have been given enough time to eat and wash up before dialysis. Sometimes you really DO have to have a fit before your problems are considered worthy of a solution.

Still Kicking Deaths Ass
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 10:25:12 PM »

:clap; Good story.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
bolta72

my best friend

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 04:44:13 AM »

I had the same problem at the VA hosp, except when my meal came they would leave it for me, but by the time I got to it, it was cold and ugh.

gotta do what I gotta do.. 2 yrs in ctr hemo
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 09:20:25 AM »

While I was on dialysis I was once admitted to the hospital for a weekend, and during the entire weekend, because of all the interruptions for medical diagnostic tests and dialysis sessions, I never ate once!  Several times my meals were just being brought to me as I was being picked up by some orderly to be taken for yet another x-ray or ct scan.  I would always ask that the meal be left there for my return, but since a different staff member collected the meals from the one who distributed them, the meal was gone every time I returned.  This situaton was all the more difficult for me, since as a type 1 diabetic, I had to adjust my insulin dosage to match the expected calories from each meal.  No one took my special dietary needs into account, nor seemed to care.

Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 09:32:47 AM »

No one took my special dietary needs into account, nor seemed to care.

So much for government-run hospitals.
 8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 10:05:19 AM »

R.I.P. LifeonHold,  you are missed but not forgotten, thank  you for leaving us with such wonderful wisdom  :bow;   

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 09:18:46 PM »

I agree it sure is a crap shoot whether you get to eat in the hospital or not.  One night they brought me a baked potato and nothing with it on my dinner tray.  I almost threw it acorss the room.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »