I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 02:19:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Transplant center update
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Transplant center update  (Read 2768 times)
paris
Member for Life

« on: December 26, 2007, 07:10:27 PM »

I spent today at UNC for my 2 year anniversary testing.  Had labs, chest x-ray, EKG and stress sestamibi cardiac scan. Got home a little before 4 and since I had been fasting from the night before, I was glad to have Christmas leftovers waiting for me.  Good thing was, there was no one at the hospital for scheduled tests, so everything was ahead of schedule. That was a nice surprise.  The technicial that helped with the cardiac scan remembered me from last year.  I don't know if that is good or bad!  The cardiologist said he wanted to hire me to coach others through the procedure because I didn't complain or tell him how horrible it was.  My theory---just do it and get it over with.  It takes 2-3 hours-------you just can't complain for that long about anything.  They couldn't schedule the surgeons appointment ( I am sure he was on Christmas vacation!), so will have to meet with him again in January.  He isn't going to tell me anything new---nothing has changed---still PRA of 100%.  Not sure why I am going through all of this, but I will play the game.   I just can't get my hopes up any more; what happens, happens no matter how much I worry or stress.   Just glad the day is over.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 07:43:16 PM »

I cannot recall paris, why aren't they doing anything to reduce your PRA?

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 10:10:54 PM »

Paris, never give up HOPE my friend, we need something to hold on to to keep us going and there is nothing better than HOPE :)  And i am sure that tech remembered you cuz only special, warm and caring people leave a lasting impression on someone and you are an extremely warm and caring person  :waving; and i wish nothing but the best for you my friend, i just love you :)  :cuddle;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
George Jung

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 10:29:16 PM »

Are you involved with the paired donation program there?   :cuddle;
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 04:17:03 AM »

:grouphug;
I love you too Paris. Like Susie said don't give up hope! :cuddle;
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 04:34:52 PM »

Come on over to my corner and sit with me. I could use the company in No Transplant Land.   :rofl; :rofl;  ( I really am kidding here.)

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Jill D.

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 07:33:47 PM »

Hang in there, Paris, and please, please don't give up hope!!! You never know...a donor could appear when you least expect it and you are doing all the right things: you have found a good transplant center for a positive crossmatch transplant, you are keeping your evaluation info current and you have a great support system with your kids and us!!!
I love you!!! :cuddle;

Diagnosed with FSGS in1990.
Started hemodialysis in April 2006.
Received a new kidney from my sister on Dec. 5, 2006.
Transplant rejection in March, 2009
Approved for second transplant in May 2009
Sister-in-law approved as donor in Dec 2009
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 06:09:47 AM »

Thank you all for your kind words. They were just what I needed.  I continue to leave no stone unturned---paired donation, etc.   The meeting with the surgeon in January is also to talk about IVIG therapy. They are just beginning to do it at UNC and I want them to include me.  Thanks to all of you, I have so much knowledge and am ready to try anything.  What do people do who don't have this site to go to?  Thanks friends for always being there :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 09:11:30 AM »

Just read this thread. Paris, I look forward to reading how your appt goes in Jan, and I hope you get your IVIG therapy :)

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
st789

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 11:13:46 AM »

Do your best and leave  everything to the one up there! :bestwishes;
Beth36

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 02:39:52 PM »

That's great, Paris!  My mom's PRA went up a little when she was tested at Mayo, I don't know what the number was because she didn't ask  :-\....I think she was scared to know, truth be told.  However, they are holding off a bit on her transplant because they are waiting for a new drug to become available that they use on higher PRA patients now.  I don't know what it's called because my mom didn't and my dad didn't write the name down  ::)  I really really wish I had been able to go with them BUT I wasn't able to...ugh...anyway, you might want to ask your doc about it and/or see if they can find out what it is or get it for you....good luck and I am hoping for the best for you!

Beth

Mom had positive crossmatch transplant at Mayo Clinic on 6/13/08!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »