I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 05:36:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  Hi I'm Mary "Rookiegirl"...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hi I'm Mary "Rookiegirl"...  (Read 4287 times)
rookiegirl

« on: October 23, 2007, 06:11:16 PM »

Hi Everyone.  My real name is Mary. I'm 36 yrs old, wife and mother of 2 girls (13 & 17).  I was diagnosed with IGA Nephropathy back in 2000.  Don't know what really caused the Kidney Disease.  The only symptom I had prior to going to the doctor was a severe headache that just wouldn't go away.  Come to find out, my blood pressure was too high.  I have never had any conditions dealing with HBP.  They did all kinds of test (Urine, Blood, Ultrasound).  At that time, my creatinine level was above 1.0  I was immediately put on HBP medications and was told to watch my salt and avoid high protein.  A year later my family and I moved back to NC from GA.  I started seeing a Nephrologist at Duke.  My meds change several times to get my HBP under control.  I had a kidney biopsy in 2002 which didn't go very well.  I was told I would only be in the hospital overnight and should be able to go home.  Unfortunently, I was there for 5 days because they couldn't stop my bleeding.  I had to have blood transfusion.  Later on on top of my regular meds, my doctor prescribed 3 consecutive IV Steroids treatment to see if my creatinine level will go down.  During this time, I was around 3.5.  I puffed up like a balloon all over.  I was so miserable.  I tried taking fish oil tablets which didn't work because I had a hard time swallowing huge pills and I had to take 12 in the morning and 12 in the evening.  I was not a happy camper.  Creatinine level increased again and my doctor wanted to do another kidney biopsy in 2004.  I really couldn't understand why so many biopsy? My doctor told me its a way for her to determine what treatment prevention to take.  I agreed to it and this time, thank God, I went home the next day from the hospital.  Of course my meds changed again.  I have been taking Cozaar, Doxazosin, Calcitrol, Torsimide.  These meds kept my creatinine level steady.  It would creep up slowly until now.

About 3 months ago, my doctor at Duke new a Nephrologist that is well known and specialized in Peritoneal Dialysis.  I started seeing this new doctor at Wake.  He immediately treated me for my Anemia which I have always been told "borderline".  He put me on bi-weekly Aranesp shots and one Iron Infusion.  These two combined help produce red blood cells.  My hemoglobin counts was around 8 and he wanted it around 12.  I know it is working because my hemoglobin now is over 10.  As for energy, I really can't tell.  I never really felt weak.

We talked about treatment options.  So he sent my husband and I to a dialysis option training class.  I immediately knew which one I wanted.  Peritoneal is what I wanted due to my lifestyle.  I still work full time and my kids have so many activities. 

End of September 07, received a phone call from my doctor's office.  I was told my last blood work shows that my creatinine level is at 5.9 and they wanted to schedule a Tenchoff Catheter.  I just broke down and cried at work because I couldn't believe this is now happening, so fast, so soon.  I called my husband to let him know and I had to go home because I couldn't stop crying.  The entire week, I felt really depress.  You see, so much happened this year to me and my family.

Earlier in February 07, I lost my mother who battled lung cancer for 6 years.  She went into the hospital in mid January and I was told by her doctor that her cancer has spread from her Lung to her Liver and she only had 3 weeks or 3 months to live and she needed Hospice Care.  I agreed to put her in Hospice and broke the bad news to my brothers/sisters.  I have 2 brothers and 3 sisters.  I'm the oldest.  Our mother passed away Feb 4th.  God is so caring, loving, and understanding.  The last 4 days of our mother's life, we were all by her side.  The moment we all took a break and stepped out of her room, we were only gone for 1-2 minutes.  Our mother passed on.  It took all of us months to forgive ourselves because we were all upset that she passed on alone.  It took a good friend of my mind to make it clear to me that my Mom and God spared us the hardship off seeing her last breath.  I had to arrange all the funeral service and tried my best to be strong.

After we layed our Mom to rest, the following week, I felt sick and was out of work for almost 2 weeks.  I guess my body, mind, spirit was just tired.  I really can't say if the stress caused my health to decline?

So anyway, I had my catheter inserted on 10/3 and had my first dialysis training on 10/22.

Day1 PD Traning:  I had to do 24 hr. urine collection.  They did blood work.  Started me on CAPD.  During the fill time it wasn't so bad.  I dwelled for 3 hrs.  My first drain didn't go so well because I had Fibrin that was preventing a good drain.  Close to the end of the drain it was very painful.  The cramping, oh my Gosh, the cramping.  It hurt so bad.  It was 10x worst than menstrual cramp.  The second bag fill, they injected Heparin in the solution to break down the Fibrin.  I was told Fibrin are protein that past thru the Peritoneal membrane and sometimes clump up.  The Heparin breaks down the clump to make it easier to drain.  While dwelling, It was difficult to walk around.  I kept feeling that pull especially on my sides.  I couldn't eat lunch because I was so bloated.  I lost 4lbs. on my first day.

Day2 PD Training:  They gave me the 4.25 bag because they wanted to pull as much fluid and wanted to "challenge" my body.  My ultrafiltration was 750 the first round and 800 the second round.  I was in so much pain.  The cramping after the drain was horrible.  The full sensation was terrible.  It was difficult to breathe.  Again when we broke for lunch, I couldn't eat.  I lost 2lbs on my second day.

The nurse kept saying once my body adjust to the fill and drain the discomfort should go away.  I wish I could be optomistic about this, but the pain really makes it hard for me to believe it.  I can't understand why the first fill and drain is not as painful and the second fill and drain.  I really hope that it will get better.

Tomorrow is my 3rd day training.  We should be going over the APD or CCPD training.

Thanks for letting me share,
"Rookiegirl"

2000-Diagnosed IGA Nephropathy
2002-1st biopsy (complications)
2004-2nd biopsy
10/03/07-Tenckhoff Catheter Placement
10/22/07-Started Peritoneal Dialysis
03/2008-Transplant team meeting
04/2008-Transplant workup
05/2008-Active Transplant list
3/20/09-Cadaver Kidney Transplant
4/07/09-Tenckhoff Catheter removed
4/20/09-New kidney biopsy
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 06:18:30 PM »

Great introduction Rookiegirl and welcome to ihatedialysis.com,

I asked for an introduction and I got one.  :lol; It's great to see you here and I'm glad you took the time to join our site. Feel free to browse over 5300 topics and share ideas, experiences, and rants if you have them. This site has helped many people cope with the renal disease and renal failure which brought us all together in one forum.

If you need anything just ask, we are more than just a website, we are a community of caring people.

Sluff/ Admin
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 06:19:50 PM »

:welcomesign;

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 06:34:07 PM »

Born with one kidney 1972
Ureter re-constructured 1975 (reflux had already damaged the kidney)
Diagnosed and treated for high blood pressure 2000
Diagnosed ESRF October 2006
Started dialysis September 2007
Last dialysis June 4, 2008
Transplant from my hero, Joyce, June 5, 2008
Roxy

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 06:48:36 PM »

Mimi
Elite Member

For any who do not like me I use - prayer.

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 07:53:15 PM »

Hi Mary, welcome to our group.  So sorry you are having such a rough time and in so much pain. :'(  I pray
things will straighten out for you soon.
Love, Mimi

Death is not extinguishing the light;
it is putting out the lamp because the dawn has come.
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 09:36:04 PM »

Welcome Mary, good to have you aboard.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 10:22:25 PM »

Welcome to our community, Mary!  So sorry that you have gone through such a difficult year.  But I thank you for feeling free to share with us.  That is what this site is all about - a place where you can vent, and know that others will understand and be supportive.  This site has become a real family and I pledge that we will go through all your stuff with you.  Take advantage of all the site has to offer.  And keep posting.  Let us know how it is going.
I know that for my self personally, it has all gotten better.  I am doing in-centre haemodialysis, MWF midday shift.  Now I don't usually feel crappy, except recently I have been having a bout of low BP. 
Looking forward to hearing how you are doing.  Here is a hug from all of us.   :grouphug;

Bajanne, Moderator

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
angellady07

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 10:43:14 PM »

Welcome Mary.  :waving;
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 11:26:21 PM »

:waving; Welcome Rookiegirl.

I am also on PD. It will settle down and you will get the hang of it quickly.
I have two children aged 10 and 13. PD fits in well with all the running around Mums have to do!    :cuddle;

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 05:19:19 AM »

Mary, I'm also doing PD, and I also work full time and have a 9 year old boy. PD is great for all that! Welcome to IHD, hope we can help you adjust to dialysis and help you forget about it occasionally, too (by checking out the off-topic threads).  :welcomesign;

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 05:24:27 AM »

Mary, I'm doing pd, work full time, grown child, though, but they never really leave you, do they? It does get better. It really does. WHY they are doing it that way I do not know. Challenge? pffft. We have enough challenges, thank you, we don't need any more!!!!   
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 05:45:13 AM »

willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 05:51:01 AM »

:welcomesign; Mary

willieandwinnie

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
bolta72

my best friend

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007, 06:54:13 AM »

That was a great intro; Welcome and good luck to you.

gotta do what I gotta do.. 2 yrs in ctr hemo
KR Cincy

Home hemodialysis since May 07

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2007, 06:55:12 AM »

The start of this journey is always the toughest, but stay focused and know that it will get easier...it's always tough, but the human body and spirit have ways of adapting.
Keep in touch so we know how you're doing!

Not giving up...thanks to Susan.
Aldente

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2007, 08:22:06 AM »

Welcome Mary.  Thank you for sharing your story with us.  It's nice to see someone else from North Carolina join us.  I'm situated in the middle of the state in Winston Salem.  When I first went on dialysis I also chose PD.  It was wonderful and I was able to work a full time job.  Complications unrelated to dialysis took me off PD and I am now doing NxStage at home.  You will become a PD expert in very little time and it will be easier each day.
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2007, 11:08:40 AM »

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2007, 04:37:32 PM »

Awesome introduction Rookiegirl (Mary)  :clap;  Thank you for taking the time to let us all know who you are and what stage of this "journey" you are in.  Remember, we are here for you too.  Looking forward to hearing more from you.  :2thumbsup;

Goofynina/Admin.

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Laurie

May 13, 2008

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2007, 04:39:57 PM »

:welcomesign; Sorry you're having a tough time with PD training. I hope things improve for you soon  :grouphug;

March 7, 2001 - Complications after C-section caused kidney failure
March 2001 - December 2001 - Hemo Dialysis
December 2001 - Kidney function improved dialysis no longer necessary
October 2006 - Kidney function started to decline
May 9, 2007 - Listed at Baylor Dallas and Fort Worth
October 12, 2007 - Started PD
May 13, 2008 - Kidney Transplant from a deceased donor
mcjane

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2007, 08:33:41 PM »

Hi Mary, great intro.     :clap; an a big    :welcomesign; to IHD

Jane
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2007, 06:58:47 AM »

Hello and  :welcomesign;

It's not easy being green.
keefer51

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2007, 11:10:02 AM »

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2007, 05:26:55 PM »

Welcome to the site.  Your introduction sure tells a story.

kitkatz,moderator

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »