I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 06:20:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Tips on Healing after Operations
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tips on Healing after Operations  (Read 2381 times)
tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« on: October 04, 2007, 06:31:30 PM »

With our Tranplant coming up, just thought it would be handy for me and others in the future to know what we all do to make the healing process quick and "painless"
With all our knowledge and the amount of procedures we have had there should be some good ideas.......................

EDITED:  Moved post to correct thread "Transplants" - Goofynina/Admin.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 09:25:32 PM by goofynina » Logged

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 06:41:01 PM »

Well they told me the best way to promote healing is to rest and have a diet rich in vitamins and protein.  :thumbup;

But most importantly just take your time, and try not to do everything to fast. Rest and eat well.  :cuddle;
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 06:59:44 PM »

I agree with Amanda. If you are in pain, don't be brave. Take something for pain. You need rest and you don't rest well in pain.

If you have staples be careful with your underwear. It can be uncomfortable if you have "to go" (and you will after all the water) if a staple gets caught.  :)
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 07:20:17 PM »

Great advice so far, I would just add that the sooner your up and walking after transplant, that will aslo promote healing.  :2thumbsup;

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Roxy

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 08:40:29 PM »

The walking and eating about 8 ounces of protein a day helped me. Just listen to your body and don't overdo anything. After 3 weeks I tried walking 6-8 miles in a day, which would have been OK, because I was not in pain and felt great,  except I still had the stent in and that caused bleeding because it rubbed up against my bladder. Also(and they should tell you this) you don't want to do anything that strains your abdomen like sit ups and stuff. They worry about transplant patients and donors getting hernias in the first few months. Wishing you the best~  :cuddle;
George Jung

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 08:50:32 PM »

I would just like to note that one of the best things we can do to assure a speedy recovery post-transplant is to be proactive.  
Being as physically fit, in the best shape we can be, and of sound mind prior to surgery greatly effects recovery.

stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 08:27:30 AM »

For those who want to minimize the scar of the transplant, just rub vitamin E oil into the suture area as soon as the surgical taping covering it is removed (when it will be safe from infection).  If you repeat this every day, it will make the scar nearly invisible.
tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 03:15:26 AM »

I would just like to note that one of the best things we can do to assure a speedy recovery post-transplant is to be proactive. 
Being as physically fit, in the best shape we can be, and of sound mind prior to surgery greatly effects recovery.

Can that be done by me  :urcrazy; not sure George but I'll Try  ;)

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »