I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 01:22:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Anyone else take a "break" from dialysis??
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anyone else take a "break" from dialysis??  (Read 12534 times)
Subeat

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2013, 03:51:16 AM »

I had a last minute trip to Walt Disney World fall into my lap helping a travel agent friend with a large group she had there.  There simply wasn't enough notice to get in a center down there, or really time in my schedule.  I had gone 5 days before due to clots in my fistula with no problems.  This time it was 6 and I was pretty tired and a little swollen (normally didn't swell at all).  Of course I had also spent most of each day walking around WDW!  It took me several days to recover.  Oh, and I did this with 9 days between when I returned and my transplant.  Having that working vacation couldn't have come at a better time as I'm going to be fairly home bound for the next few months.
talker

Talkers oil painting

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2016, 06:56:56 AM »

Has anyone here ever quit dialysis for any period if time. If so how did it go and what did you learn?

EDITED:  Thread moved to proper section:  Dialysis - General Discussion  - jbeany, Moderator

Golly, here I go again ..............

This old thread actually 'answered' a question I've long entertained.

Have missed a session , twice, at different times and for different reasons.
Did not notice any consequences, short term, yet more sessions missed could give serious reactions.

Be Well

"Wabi-sabi nurtures the authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."

Don't ever give up hope, expect a miracle, pray as if you were going to die the next moment in time, but live life as if you were going to live forever."

A wise man once said, "Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present."
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2016, 03:16:30 AM »

Has anyone here ever quit dialysis for any period if time. If so how did it go and what did you learn?

EDITED:  Thread moved to proper section:  Dialysis - General Discussion  - jbeany, Moderator

Golly, here I go again ..............

This old thread actually 'answered' a question I've long entertained.

Have missed a session , twice, at different times and for different reasons.
Did not notice any consequences, short term, yet more sessions missed could give serious reactions.

... In my center there was - last year - someone who also thought he could "beat the system"
of needing three dialysis-treatments every week ... The outcome? ... He is no longer with us...
... Why? Because when he "skipped" another dialysis-treatment, his heart became further weakened,
until his body could take no more ...

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2016, 06:17:17 AM »

I have never missed a session but last year during dialysis there was construction going on outside our center which is colocated at a outpatient surgery center.
The idiots on the construction crew never checked for utilities and cut a nine inch gas line.  So a hour in to my session the building began to fill with gas. You know the clamp and run signs well 18 patients 5 techs and 4 nurses clamped and ran like hell.  It wa winter very cold and windy and the parking garage was full of gas.  I felt bad for the other patients from the dialysis center I grabbed my coat and blanket on the way out.  But then the patients from the surgery unit came out in those damn hospital gowns,those people were getting the rosiest cheeks I have ever seen.  The Hospital sent over tons of blankets for every one and in about a hour we were allowed to get our cars. It turned out the wind that made us miserable also dispersed the gas.  The point to all this is with only a hour of treatment by Tuesday night I felt like crap.  I took this as a lesson that missing a session is not a good idea.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »