I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 11:22:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Medicare eligibility?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Medicare eligibility?  (Read 2027 times)
waitlisted

« on: September 18, 2007, 10:13:31 PM »

Does someone know how the Medicare A works for ESRD patients?

From Medicare.gov FAQ I found following:

Medicare Premiums for 2007:

Part A: (Hospital Insurance) Premium
Most people do not pay a monthly Part A premium because they or a spouse has 40 or more quarters of Medicare-covered employment.
The Part A premium is $226.00 for people having 30-39 quarters of Medicare-covered employment.
The Part A premium is $410.00 per month for people who are not otherwise eligible for premium-free hospital insurance and have less than 30 quarters of Medicare-covered employment.

Based on this I would need to pay $410.00 per month for Medicare A, as I have not worked yet 10 years in US paying medicare. Paying that amount per month would not make any sense for me and if that is the case I will just use my employer health insurance and pay my deductable up to out of pocket max per year.

I was asking this from my social worker as well, but she did not have any experience on people on similar situation as me, i.e. not working long enough under medicare or having spouse or parent who has worked long enough under medicare. However she was still expecting me to get Medicare A without premium, but she said we will finally find it out when I apply Medicare after the transplant.

If anyone knows more about this issue, please let me know.
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 10:19:23 AM »

call medicare and talk to somebody. most of us have part a, b and d. a pays hospital coverage, b pays outpatient (dialysis) and d is drug coverage. don't leave it up to the social worker.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
rimbo74

My older brother and me (I'm on the right)

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 01:54:29 PM »

I got Medicare Part A (hospital only) back in January.  When you are ESRD, Part A is free.  After my transplant I enrolled in Medicare Part B (pays copay for antirejection medicine) which will cost me about $97 a month.  I have primary insurance through my work so it may be different for you.  But this is what I have experienced.

After your transplant, be sure to talk to the social worker at DTI, her name is Mary Beth.  She is awesome to work with and she will take care of everything for you and even answer your questions.  You might want to just call her at DTI.

1986 - Diagnosed with Alport's Syndrome
10/29/06 - Told Kidneys failed
02/07-07/07 - PD Dialysis
07/31/07 - Kidney Transplant (donor was my older brother)
George Jung

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 09:07:25 PM »

There is a premium but whatever it is you can apply for help from the NKF and they will help pick it up.  I doubt you will be responsible for $410, at least i hope the hell not.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »