I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 09:20:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  In sickness and in health: Wife gives a kidney to her husband
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: In sickness and in health: Wife gives a kidney to her husband  (Read 1238 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: September 12, 2007, 04:12:36 PM »

In sickness and in health: Wife gives a kidney to her husband

By CATHERINE GARCIA, Staff Writer
Redlands Daily Facts
Article Launched:09/12/2007 02:56:37 PM PDT

LOMA LINDA - After years of surgeries, hospital stays and dialysis, Tim Crimmins needed a new kidney. Luckily, there was a donor, and her name was Tammy Crimmins. She is Tim's wife.

"I had six people lined up," Tim said. "There's a big shortage, because donors need to have blood pressure of 120/80 or better. They also have to be a blood match, and then go through six months of testing."

"Why did I want to go through this kidney transplant surgery for my husband? Remember those wedding vows: in sickness or in health, and for better or for worse," Tammy said. "I wanted to keep Tim, my husband, in health, not sickness, for the rest of our marriage. I wanted to make Tim all better to let him continue to be a father to our two sons and to maintain a normal lifestyle."

According to Linda Small, executive director of the National Kidney Foundation of Southern California, one in nine Americans have kidney disease, with 2 million living in Southern California. There are 75,000 people on the waiting list for a kidney.

"There are so many people waiting," she said. "It's just incredible. There is an average wait for seven years, making this truly the most ultimate gift of life."

On Aug. 7, the kidney transplant was performed at Loma Linda University Medical Center. Five days later, the Crimminses were back at their Wrightwood home, and on Aug. 17 the couple celebrated their 22nd wedding anniversary.

Tim, who was a youth football volunteer and co-founded Snowline Youth Football in 1989, was diagnosed with end-stage renal disease four years ago. In January 2003, his lungs filled with fluid three times, and eventually he had to have lung surgery.

"In September of 2003, they told me I would need a new kidney," he said. "It's so hard to find a living donor, because they need to be physically fit. Most people don't realize what's involved."

Things got worse before they got better. On Dec. 26, Tim was rushed to the emergency room with a 104-degree fever, fluid in his lungs, an irregular heartbeat, shingles and pneumonia. He was put on a ventilator for one week, and was put into a six-week drug-induced coma. His body was in such poor condition that he was given last rites.

"I believe that because of the power of prayer, a miracle from God and the excellent medical care I received, that is why I woke up after six weeks in a coma," Tim said. "I had lost 40 pounds, and the doctors told me in rehab that it would be at least five weeks before I could think about going home. I had to learn to go to the bathroom again, I was bed-ridden and on kidney dialysis. I told the doctors that five weeks was too long, and asked for three workouts a day instead of two. On March 5, 2004, my son's birthday, I walked out of the hospital a kidney dialysis patient."

Tim was on hemo kidney dialysis for six months, and found the experience to be extremely rough.

"I passed out twice during the three-times-a-week treatment," he said. "In July of 2004, I switched to home dialysis peritoneal dialysis, a liquid solution that passes through your stomach, which is much easier on the body."

Then, a miracle happened: One of Tim's doctors called and told him his kidneys were rejuvenated to a 20 percent function. That happens in only 1 percent of cases.

"I cried," he said. "I couldn't believe it."

Invigorated by the good news, Tim went forward with one of his dreams and started his own business, a service repair business.

"I was given a handicapped placard but I rarely used it because I was not handicapped," he said. "This motivated me, so I decided I had nothing to lose and would fulfill my dream of becoming self-employed." Tim remained off dialysis until Aug. 7, when he had his transplant. At that point, his kidney function was at 9 percent.

"At Loma Linda hospital, I've always felt secure and trusting in their doctors, nurses and staff because of their history of success," Tammy said. "I also knew four people in my town who were kidney donors for a loved one. Learning of their surgery and experience with the donor transplant helped me have enough self-assurance to do this, also. I can say now that it is worth being a live kidney donor to someone that you love, and I would like to encourage more people to be donors."

More than a month after the transplant, both husband and wife are feeling good.

"I'm doing well, and so is Tammy," Tim said. "I'm slowly improving. My doctors adjust my medications based on blood tests. I have over 20 medications that I take, but as long as I take care of myself, I'll have 15 to 25 years with the kidney."

He said he is indebted to his wife for her gift of life, and also to the service he received in Loma Linda.

"Tammy and I want to say thank you to the extraordinary superior medical care at LLUMC and at Desert City Dialysis in Victorville," Tim said. "We are very humbled and grateful."

For more information on kidney disease and transplants, visit www.kidneysocal.org

E-mail Staff Writer Catherine Garcia at cgarcia@redlandsdailyfacts.com

http://www.redlandsdailyfacts.com/portlet/article/html/fragments/print_article.jsp?articleId=6873741&siteId=209

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 09:28:42 PM »

What awesome determination  :2thumbsup;  So glad to see it paid off and all is well for him and his wife  :clap;  Thank God for wedding vows huh? :P ;)

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »