I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 04:23:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
| | |-+  Zemplar user's out there?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Zemplar user's out there?  (Read 6909 times)
brenda

« on: January 05, 2007, 09:37:35 PM »

I'm trying to learn as much about this drug (Zemplar) as I can technically. What I need to know is personal experience's on it. I have been turned down by our heath care system here in Alberta. The drug has not gone through all the Canadian hoops yet but it's something my Dr. feel's would greatly help me. What they are doing for me right now just isn't working. I had 5 parathyroids instead of 4 and they cannot locate the 5th. Pre surgery my PTH was 1500, post surgery 650, now 10 weeks later it over 2000. That's not controlling anything. If you use this drug please tell me about it.

Thanks, and Take Care.

Brenda

Life is what happens while your making other plans.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 09:43:20 PM »

Of the three Vit D meds (IVs) used to help control PTH, (Hectorol and Calcijex are the other two) Zemplar may be the most expensive.

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 11:22:05 PM »

WRONG SECTION  ::)

This section is reserved for "Introductions" As stated in this boards description:

"Introduce yourself here, tell us your situation. Please create a new post. Please do not ask questions in this section, just introduce yourself."

Thread moved to proper section. "F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)". Please read the boards descriptions, so you post in the correct section.

- Epoman
Owner/Admin

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 01:15:16 AM »

It is really coincidental that there is this post about Zemplar!  The nurse told me yesterday that my neph has increased my dose of Zemplar and reduced my Epogen.  I was saying to myself that I was going to do a search to find out exactly what these things do.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 12:41:19 PM »

Zemplar is Vitamin D. It is supposed to help with the balance of the PTH, phosphorous and calcium in the body.  THey told me I was crazy when I reported Zemplar made me itch!  They said it was impossible.  Hah!  It did make me itch and I refused to let them give me it.  I am weird!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 02:34:54 PM »

I take Zemplar as a preventative measure.  My PTH is normal, but my neph is big on taking preventative measures.  I've been taking it for only about 3 months or so.  I take it only twice a week; it is hideously expensive, but my mail order pharmacy guys were careless as usual and sent me too many.  The directions said "take one twice a day" instead of "one twice a week", so I essentially got a whole mess of them free.

I don't think I've had any adverse effects.  It's just one more pill I have to take.

The name makes me laugh, though.  "Zemplar" sounds like an M-class planet in Star Trek.  I always announce, "Today is a Zemplar day".  Like that stomach medicine "Zelnorm".  Our local hospital is called "Delnor".  There's a whole galaxy out here! ;D

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
brenda

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 10:16:19 PM »

Just an update: my PTH levels are still sky high and now we find out my Vit D levels are very low. As of sunday no more Alpha-one. I'm going to try Calcijex and see how that goes. The calcium acetate is holding my calcium and phos very well so hopefully it won't change that.

renal30yrs

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 08:21:37 AM »

(They (my HD center) is wondering about my pth level.  Ever since they started injecting a small dosage of zemplar my pth have dropped precipitously.  As of last night it was 30.  They are wondering what could cause that.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 12:54:56 PM »

Zemplar will help to lower the PTH levels. Surprises me your center does not know this fact.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 03:59:15 PM »

I'm on Zemplar every day. Yes, it is hideously expensive. But it works, so I'm on it. Ugh.
brenda

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 08:36:51 PM »

Well I've have given up on the Zemplar. Awaiting to hear about sensipar.

kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 02:44:49 PM »

I take Zemplar Mon, Tues, Wed and Thurs.  It is the highest of my medication co-pays ($50) and it's not available in the three-month supply (at least not through Humana).  My neph. is happy with the results.  Personally, I can't tell you anything.  Up to this point I've been somewhat in "denial" of my disease.  I've been extremely compliant with meds and doctor visits, etc.  But I never paid much attention to my lab work and levels.   But after reading everyone's posts here and seeing how you all know so much about your levels and disease, I'm definitely going to start paying attention.

Good Luck

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 03:33:11 PM »

I used to be on oral Zemplar thee times/week, but my insurance stopped paying for it and I can't afford to pay for it myself. My neph switched me to oral Hectoral every day, and I haven't had any problems with it.

Adam

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 05:49:14 PM »

I take oral Hectoral every other day.   Started at twice a week, numbers continued to go up, so Dr. said take it everyday.  Made me majorly sick, so now every other day and it seems to be working ok. Numbers still a little high, but not too bad.  It is the highest co-pay I have. Thank God I have a co-pay!

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2007, 08:20:35 PM »

Zemplar is free here.  I suppose it is like the dialysis situation - if you have insurance, you pay; no insurance, it is free.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »