I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 10:18:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Amanda's fathers picture
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Amanda's fathers picture  (Read 2731 times)
keefer51

« on: July 29, 2007, 09:22:59 AM »

I just saw a picture of Amandas dad picture that she shared with us. When i saw it i was happy to see how good he looked. Now i know where Amanda gets her good looks! Even more though i thought of my own transplant. My brother was most gracious in giving me one of his kidneys. As i am sure you all know it lasted 10 years. I hate to think in hindsight but i can't help but wonder if mine would have lasted longer. I think it's one thing when you do everything you are supposed to do and it fails. When i think of mine though i can't help but wonder. After receiving my transplant we had moved to Nashville Tennessee. After being there only a year my wife divorced me and my medical insurance. So i can't help but wonder if i did all i could. I know i tried to get insurance but was rejected. This was fourteen years ago. So i was labeled a high risk. I tried three times to get onto state aid but failed. I was given the option of moving back home to get the meds. But now i know i made that mistake. I think when you are faced with something where you have to make the right choice i believe some of you with children would decide to make the one where you would still see them. That is what i did. Now i wish in my heart i would have come back and taken care of the kidney. I have seen my brother now on many occasions. I want to tell him everytime i see him that i am sorry i didn't do that. I am so happy i had ten years with the kidney. But like i said i can't help but look back and wonder.

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 09:50:19 AM »

Hindsite is always 20/20, but the thing about looking back is that sometime you wont see the train coming at you full bore. There is nothing we can do about the past, except to learn from it and move on. I don't mean this to sound rude, just some friendly advice.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 01:31:11 PM »

I don't think you should have any regrets Keefer.
10 yers is a good long life for a transplant.
Some people's don't last that long no matter what
they do or how hard they try. 

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 11:39:57 PM »

Keefer don't beat yourself up over something that you no longer have control.

I also look at Amanda's photos and grieve for what might have been.
I have a similar family history to Amanda, although mine is not so lucky. My dad was on dialysis for ten years (due to PKD). He was a very compliant patient but his body just did not respond. After two failed transplants and ten years of dialysis he died due to complications at the age of 42.

We just have to roll with the punches   :boxing;  and keep our heads above the water.   :)

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 01:37:54 AM »

I just saw this post now.

I apologies to anyone if i upset them by posting the picture...this was not my intension. I did not post the picture to "rub" it in anyone's face about my dad and his kidneytransplant, but only to show that some transplants can be a great thing and they don;t all go bad. Weather my dads kidney has lasted this long because he has taken good care of himself or because of luck, i am not sure.

Like the boys said you should not have any regrets, just try to be happy that it lasted 10 good years.

i know it is hard to think about what might have been but you just have to accept how things have turned out, and learn from it.

My father has had 26 years wonderful years, have they been easy, no... does he still have health problems? yes but he does not dwell on them, he knows how lucky he is to have his kidney for this long and will accept anything that comes his way.

I'm sorry Keefer for you bad experience with losing the kidney, and I'm sorry to wattle that her dad was taken way before his time, but i guess those experiences are what have made you the strong people that you are now.

Amanda
xxoo

keefer51

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 03:07:31 AM »

Amanda you did not upset me at all. Posting that picture of your dad is a good thing. I have met allot of people that have a transplant that lasts to this day. I am so happy when they last for many years. I don't mind looking back and saying what could have been. It's only natural when you have the strange circumstance i had. I think they should post pics of people like your dad all over dialysis centers to give many the support they need. For me it has given me a new inspiration to continue on. Thanks for that.

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 04:50:43 PM »

Amanda, I love all the pictures you post. I haven't found the one of your Dad yet, but I'll keep looking. I saw some of you and your sister. You guys are beautiful.
Sucessful transplants are such an inspiration to those considering it, and people like me that are hoping mine lasts that long.  :waving;
Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 02:34:01 AM »

Thanks Romona.  :cuddle;

I think its so important to share these stories and experience so people realise how wonderful transplants can be.

I hope you don't wait long for that transplant.

Here is the link For my Dad's Picture.

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=3727.660

Amanda
xxoo
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »