I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 06:58:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  A nice dialysis patient story!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A nice dialysis patient story!  (Read 3508 times)
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« on: September 04, 2007, 01:51:05 PM »

I just had to share a wonderful story about another dialysis patient my husband and I met. We were having our wedding rehearsal dinner at a cute little bistro the night before our wedding a few months ago. The owner, who we had become quite friendly with, had been chatting with one of his "entertainers," a guitarist and singer that evening, when the subject of our dinner came up. Somehow the conversation had turned to the fact that I was diabetic and having kidney problems. Well, after dinner, the guy came in and surprised us with a special performance just because of that (he wasn't even scheduled to work that night). We later found out that he spends 5 hours, 4 days a week at dialysis, including the day of the dinner! When I found that out, I cried! He was so sweet to go out of his way to do that!

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 02:11:57 PM »

That is an example of "angels amoung us".  They come into our lives at just the right moment, giving us hope and asking nothing in return.  This is a lovely story - thanks for sharing it with us.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 05:33:13 PM »

What a beautiful story, sure made tears come to my eyes too and i do believe there are definetly Angels among us  ;)

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 06:18:27 PM »

Awwwwww  :grouphug;

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
poohkari

Wade and I.

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 06:21:32 PM »

Thats awesome!

Girlfriend of Wade, on dialysis since 5/11/07 and NxStage since 8/20/07. We're hoping for a transplant as soon as his "FGP" is gone!
kidney4traci
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 06:29:34 PM »

;musicalnote; ;musicalnote; :grouphug; ;musicalnote;

Married - three children.
Alports female, diagnosed ESRD 10/04
11/04  Hemo in clinic
6/07 hemo at HOME! 
2/3/09 - Transplant from an angel of a friend!!!
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 01:50:48 PM »

I just met ANOTHER kidney patient today! I went to the book store to buy some books on kidney failure, dialysis, etc. The cashier that ringed me up said she had just read one of the books, so I asked her if it was for her or someone she knew. She said it was her. She has PKD. We chatted for a moment, comparing our stories. She said the book was very good and was helpful.
With all of the kidney patients I keep running into, I feel like I'm getting a sign!

For anyone not yet on dialysis and if interested, it's  Coping With Kidney Disease: A 12-Step Treatment Program to Help You Avoid Dialysis. It's by Mackenzie Walser. MD, a doc and professor at Johns Hopkins.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 01:59:18 PM »

Hey Paddbear, i hope you invited her to ihatedialysis.com ;) ;)  :2thumbsup;

www.kidneyoogle.com
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 02:48:53 PM »

Hey Paddbear, i hope you invited her to ihatedialysis.com ;) ;)  :2thumbsup;

Yes, I did! But she said she knew of it. I was going to ask her if she was a member and who she was, but a line of customers was starting to form behind me!

goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 02:53:57 PM »

Good job Paddbear, thanks for thinking of us  :2thumbsup;

www.kidneyoogle.com
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 03:01:59 PM »

;D  I love this place! I can't wait to get home from classes just to check it out. My husband rolls his eyes when he gets home from work because I'm always on the computer, on this site. That used to be when he checked his Cincinnati Bengals' message boards. Now he has to wait for me!

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 03:11:04 PM »

My husband says it is all I do anymore.  Who wants to clean or cook when I can spend time with my friends? :grouphug;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 03:15:50 PM »

My husband says it is all I do anymore.  Who wants to clean or cook when I can spend time with my friends? :grouphug;

Cleaning, cooking...What's that?   ;)

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2007, 12:03:21 AM »

pbear, if you want to meet even more, go to the online store and buy one of the buttons or shirts about dialysis.  A couple of days wearing that in public, and you'll meet all kinds of dialysis patients!  I have one I wear on my jean jacket - it gets all kinds of attention.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2007, 05:04:38 AM »

When I talk to a fellow kidney patient, I feel this instant acceptance and bond. I don't have to pretend anything. It is like they already know me. We may be in different stages of the disease or different treatments, but we connect. It is like a long lost friend or family member. Anyone else feel like this?  :)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »