I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 08:23:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  Self Intro
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Self Intro  (Read 3708 times)
Platypus

« on: August 13, 2007, 02:42:28 PM »

Hellos to all reading this. Let give you a brief intro to myself. I go by the nick Platypus, my real name is Mike. I checked into the ER last Sunday with chest pains thinking i may have some minor lung infection. An hour later i was being poked and prodded by a dozen doctors and nurses and they inform me that my kidneys aren't working and i need 3 pints of blood. I was floored and i could hear my heart just sink.The following day the hospital had me scheduled for every exam in the book and an apt to have a chest cathater put in. Before i was released the kidney doc had a surgeon give me a fistula. Ive only had 3 dialysis's so far and my first one at the clinic is tomorrow. To be honest I'm scared of how life is going to carry out for me. In a matter of minutes my life changed dramatically. I have had to give up my job and school for now so all Ive got too much time to think. anyways any positive words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated and taken to heart.
God bless
Platy
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 02:55:10 PM »

Platy, you've had a lot thrown at you. First things first. You need time to absorb all this. THEN you can start asking questions. This is not the end of the world. It really isn't. It may seem like it now, but you will adjust, you will adapt.  You will also go back to school, and to work, really!
Just hang in there. You're among people who know what you're going through, and how you feel.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 03:00:59 PM »

Hello platypus,

Sorry to hear about your situation. Things change quickly don't they?

Well you came to the right place for support and information. If you need anything just ask someone will help.

I wish you luck and we will see you in the forums.

Sluff/ Admin
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 06:23:31 PM by Sluff » Logged
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 03:33:30 PM »

I am so sorry for such a quick change in your life. But, you have found an incredible site and we all are here to help. These people have become my lifeline and everyone is so willing to help.   Try not to think too far ahead. Deal with today - then deal with tomorrow. Do you know the phrase " don't cross that bridge until you come to it"? Well, God (or whatever power your believe in} hasn't finished building that bridge yet.  Start with small steps, read everything you can, ask many questions and come here often. Looking forward to hearing more from you. :welcomesign;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 05:31:24 PM »

Welcome to IHD, Platypus. My situation was very similar to yours. I had what turned out to be a colon infection that made me go to the ER. When they did blood tests and an abdominal CT scan, I found out that my kidneys were only at 12% function. I started dialysis four days later, and a week and a half before my first treatment, I had ridden my bicycle across Indianapolis. It's amazing how fast it hits. I've had some bad times, but I feel better now than I've felt in a LONG time. I've been on dialysis now for almost 7 months, and almost three months of that has been home hemo on the NxStage system. It's hard at first, but it does get better. Take care.

Adam

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
Laurie

May 13, 2008

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 06:07:41 PM »

:welcomesign; Glad you found this site.

March 7, 2001 - Complications after C-section caused kidney failure
March 2001 - December 2001 - Hemo Dialysis
December 2001 - Kidney function improved dialysis no longer necessary
October 2006 - Kidney function started to decline
May 9, 2007 - Listed at Baylor Dallas and Fort Worth
October 12, 2007 - Started PD
May 13, 2008 - Kidney Transplant from a deceased donor
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 08:43:07 PM »

:welcomesign;  I remember when I got he news still to this day, I also found out in the ER that I would need to start dialysis right away... Keep your head up, hopefully you start feeling a little better soon and get used to your new dialysis life and hopefully your able to get transplanted right away if that is the route you choose.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 01:10:09 AM »

Welcome Platypus, good to have you aboard.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 01:54:02 AM »

Hey Platypus, Great to see you here

See You Around

Take Care Tamara xxx ooo  :cuddle;

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 06:29:45 AM »

Hello and  :welcomesign;

It's not easy being green.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 07:58:32 AM »

Welcome Platypus/Mike - what a massive shock to have all that thrown at you in such a short time!

It will take you time to absorb what has happened and how you handle dialysis after you settle in -
you may well be able to return to work/school at some point.

You will find a heap of support here.

Again, welcome.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 08:31:34 AM »

:welcomesign;  I am sorry you have had so much thrown at you at once!  You are doing the right thing tho, you are looking for support. Believe me friend, you will find it here!  We are here when you need us! 

Born with one kidney 1972
Ureter re-constructured 1975 (reflux had already damaged the kidney)
Diagnosed and treated for high blood pressure 2000
Diagnosed ESRF October 2006
Started dialysis September 2007
Last dialysis June 4, 2008
Transplant from my hero, Joyce, June 5, 2008
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 08:48:26 AM »

Wow, Mike!  You were really thrown into this at the deep end!  However, these are the things that bring out the strength of the human spirit.  You can determine not to let this situation define you.
Welcome to our community.  We have, most of us, had to cope with the changes that this renal failure brings.  One of the tools that I was given to deal with this situation is this very site.  I came on in just before I went on dialysis, when my brain was still reeling.  And this has been a major weapon for me.  There is so much information here, so many caring people!  So please take advantage of this site.  Keep posting.  We need to know what is happening with you.  You will find that we have developed into a real family.  So I look forward to hearing from you about how you are doing.

Bajanne, Moderator

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
st789

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 09:56:31 AM »

Learn as much as possible about your treatments and look at your options.  Supports from people who understand and truly care for you always helps.  Visit here for supports, rants, and so much more. :welcomesign;
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 06:08:31 PM »

welcome Mike, It feels pretty bad right about know but hang in there I started the same way too.. got carried into an ER started dialysis and now (1) cath and (2) fistula operations later it has already been one year today of M-W-F treatments. Its not great but it's do able ....Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
sophiasmom

In center hemo for almost 10 years

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 09:33:24 PM »

:welcomesign;
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 10:12:23 PM »

Welcome to the site.  I know it is all overwhelming right now to you. Just let things settle down and then see where you want to go from there.  I am still working after almost nine years on dialysis.  Life is not ending, just a different way of it is beginning.

kitkatz,moderator

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
keefer51

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2007, 08:30:25 PM »

:welcomesign;

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
highlite36

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2007, 09:15:55 PM »

HELLO!!!!  WELCOME!!!!!

ESRD February 2002
Transplant from living non-related donor November 7, 2002
Lost transplant April 2005
Diagnosed with Heart Failure February 2006
Currently on Peritoneal Dialysis, awaiting to be well enough to FINALLY get placed
on the Transplant List.  :-)  I can't wait!!!!
mj

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2007, 03:24:40 AM »

Hey Platy.  I am new to this whole thing as well.  But what I have found, especially with this site in a matter of two days...................you are not alone.  It will be a scary ride, but it would seem that there are people here who will take the ride with you.  I wish you the best of luck.

MJ
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2007, 08:42:44 AM »

Hi and :welcomesign;.  Have a positive atitude.  I always tell people it is better to be told you have kidney failure that can be treated instead of some disease that can't be treated!!  It will take you a while to absorb everything but in time you will adjust and thigs will get better.

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »