I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 07:21:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  NEWBIE
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: NEWBIE  (Read 4863 times)
carolynt

« on: July 30, 2007, 08:11:16 AM »

I have been on dialysis for just  a month.  I still have a port in my chest with a graft that has finally matured.  They just started using it.  My question...I use linocaine an hour before I go to dialysis which seems to help before they stick the needles in but I still feel it.  Do you ever get use to this?  I am still trying to get use to this routine and I think I am doing OK but every now and again it hits me that this is for the rest of my life...three days a week.  I think of all the patients that have been on this for years and years and give them a lot of credit.  God bless them.  I wonder if any of this gets easier or you just become numb to the whole dialysis thing.  Any helpful hints I would appreciate it.  All you people have my admiration for going thru this.
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 08:13:22 AM »

Welcome Carolynt, good to have you aboard.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 08:15:26 AM by Joe Paul » Logged

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
Laurie

May 13, 2008

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 09:29:32 AM »

:welcomesign;

March 7, 2001 - Complications after C-section caused kidney failure
March 2001 - December 2001 - Hemo Dialysis
December 2001 - Kidney function improved dialysis no longer necessary
October 2006 - Kidney function started to decline
May 9, 2007 - Listed at Baylor Dallas and Fort Worth
October 12, 2007 - Started PD
May 13, 2008 - Kidney Transplant from a deceased donor
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 12:20:44 PM »

boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 07:35:01 PM »

welcome to IHD and no it doesn't get any easier....Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 10:51:17 PM »

See you around the board Carolyn

Take Care

Tamara xxx ooo  :cuddle;

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
sophiasmom

In center hemo for almost 10 years

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 01:16:34 AM »

Hello and welcome!

The first 6 months to one year of sticking can be painful even with lidocaine. Afterward some people build up scar tissue and
it doesn't hurt quite as much.  Also depending on how your fistula is, whether it is deep or shallow. (you'll learn eventually by
what kind of sticks feel better.) For example my fistula is fairly deep and when someone sticks me shallow (almost level with my arm it
hurts alot more than those that would go in at an angle, but if your fistula is shallow (closer to the surface) a shallow stick may feel better to you.
For me the nerves are right under my skin so shallow straight sticks just seem to rip my nerves.
I believe  staff are taught to go in at a 45 degree angle, which is perfect for me, if they know what that means.    :bestwishes;
keefer51

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 02:36:31 AM »

Carolynt, I have a fistula in my left arm. They had tried on my right twice but they didn't work. I was on dialysis before but only had catheters. My brother gave me one of his kidneys. It lasted ten years. When that failed i was shocked. I never believed i would be back on dialysis. The first year i was in denial. Now i just get used to it. I hate needles. I use the cream and it helps but it is only topical. I put it on around two hours before i go. My fistula starts out close to the top but goes deep. My first needle goes in with no problem. The second needle if not in right hurts. Most of the time this burning feeling i get goes away after a little while. I never thought i would get use to this but i have. The dialysis center i go to has many people i have become friends with. It's like my only social life. I guess the trick to all of this madness is having the best positive attitude you can find in your self. I wish you luck my friend. You will find a wealth of information on this site.

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 07:12:56 AM »

Hello and  :welcomesign;

It's not easy being green.
bolta72

my best friend

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 07:27:19 AM »

I have been on hemo for one year now, I use no cream and seem to have gotton use to the needle sticks although I still don't like it. As far as dialysis goes I have accepted it as a part of my life, 3 times a week. Although every once in a while I do think about the rest of my life part. Hang in there and just take one day at a time.

gotta do what I gotta do.. 2 yrs in ctr hemo
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 09:11:50 AM »

Welcome to our community.  I am so glad that you decided to join us.  I also have a graft.  They used to use a lidocaine injection when I first started using my graft.  But the lidocaine used to give me a sting, so I decided to take the needle without it.  Also lidocaine hardens your skin, the nurses told me.  I find that my arterial needle is almost painless, but the venous one still hurts.  But it doesn't last. What is 6 sticks a week if they are keeping you alive?

Bajanne, Moderator

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 03:29:36 PM »

Welcome. I have had a graft for seven years now and it does get easier. I have not used lidocaine ever. It seemed to me, why four sticks when two will do. It gets a  lot better pain wise as the graft gets older.  Be sure they ladder stck you and never in the same place twice in a row.

Welcome.

kitkatz,moderator

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
carolynt

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2007, 12:32:23 PM »

Thanks for all you replies.  Knowing that there are people out there that completely understand.  All my friends and even my husband try but just cant comprehend what we are all going thru.  I think they say to themselves "thank god its not me.  I had my port taken out Wednesday since I am going to Florida in a week and didnt want to have this thing hanging from my chest.  Knowing the way the airlines are with Security they would have pulled me out and said I was concealing something.  Well I feel free without the port and I can take a real shower now.  So lets hope this graft holds out.  I agree about the needles the first one is OK the second one really pinches.  One more question..does everyone have a bump in their arm from the graft or fistula...just wondering.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2007, 07:55:44 AM »

G'day Carolyn - welcome.

Yeah I think most of us have the hump (or whatever) where the graft/fistula is.. part of it being formed. I don't notice it anymore but sometimes my family say "oh it looks much bigger today" or something. lol. You know what they say about size.... ;)

About your needle question..I had the local the first time I was needled... then never since.. Just over a year on I'd say about 40% of the needles still hurt a bit... but it's really not that bad.. I think I'm more surprised when I feel it than anything else.. you DO get used to it and as the fistula gets stronger and toughens up it WILL hurt less. I didn't believe what the nurses kept telling me but it just sort of happened that they'd needle me in a spot and I wouldn't feel a thing... so there is hope.

I also hope it isn't for the rest of your life and you can get a transplant to have some kind of normalcy at some stage...

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2007, 01:55:23 PM »

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
brenda

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2007, 08:57:08 PM »

:welcomesign; Welcome Carolynt, and I believe it does get better. I've been doing this for 14 years and have never needled myself without Emla cream. Why cause yourself extra pain if you don't have to. Good luck to you.

Life is what happens while your making other plans.
carolynt

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2007, 07:12:54 AM »

I love this website.  I am learning so much from everyone.  Question...does anyone have problems with constipation? 
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2007, 03:10:03 PM »

I love this website.  I am learning so much from everyone.  Question...does anyone have problems with constipation? 

Hi Carolyin,  if you go to the General Discussion thread and type in constipation in the search bar, you will be amazed at how many times we've talked about this subject, lol,  but if you do not find the answer you are looking for, please do not hesitate to ask.  Welcome to ihatedialysis.com.  :welcomesign;

Goofynina/Admin.

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2007, 04:20:08 AM »

Hi Carolynt

Are you a candidate for transplant, and if so, do you think you will choose this option?

I have not had any dialysis experience, but I had a pre-emptive transplant recently and am doing very well. Although I've never had dialysis, I feel grateful that I've avoided it and I don't envy you and others. I do, however, greatly admire all of you for being so tough and getting each other through the hard times.

Best of luck with whatever treatment you choose for the long term.
carolynt

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2007, 02:10:52 PM »

Thanks again for all your responses.  i checked our Constipation on General Discussion and found additional information.  Another queestion was about transplant.  I am meeting with the transplant team in September at Columbia Presbyterian in NYC.  I had my quad bipass there by Dr. Oz who saved my life so hopefully they will accept me.  Going on vacation to Florida (who goes to Florida in August?)  and everything has been set up for dialysis down there.  Now I will see if everything goes as smoothly.  Thanks again.
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2007, 10:11:08 PM »

I have spent almost five hours here since I joined. You'll love it.
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2007, 05:14:56 AM »

Helllo, Carolyn, glad you're here, you've had quite a time of it already. Hopefully you'll get answers here.  And, most importantly, reassurance, you are NOT alone! :welcomesign;
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2007, 10:23:01 AM »

:welcomesign; Glad you found us. This is a wonderful place to be--great people with lots of information

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
MattyBoy100

What's dialysis?

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2007, 09:31:07 AM »

Hi Carolyn,

I was new to all this a year ago.  I had a severe needle phobia but now put my own needles in without anaesthetic.  Your fistula will get lumpy so it is important that it is needled in new places as it develops to make the lumpyness more even and to lengthen your fistula so you have more access points.  No one likes the needles but you can overcome this like I did and believe me once the fistula matures and toughens up, you don't feel the needles go in.  i didn't believe people when they told me on this site that if I did it myself it wouldn't be so bad.  I tried one needle first and do you know what, the people here were right!  Instead of someone guessing what they were doing to you, you know what you are doing to you coz you can feel it. 

So now, I NEVER let anyone needle me unless it is my fave nurse who has needled me from day one and even now, if I ask her to do it for me coz I feel lazy she says "No, you can do it yourself!".

Once you gain that confidence, you can set your own pace, not go in too hard, too fast or too deep with the needles, or too slow etc, basically you take control.  None of it is pleasant but being able to take some control psychologically is part of the battle with kidney failure.

Matty.

SCOTLAND NO.1
kidney4traci
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2007, 07:18:55 AM »

missed this thread in the beginning, hope it is getting easier for you now.   :welcomesign;

Married - three children.
Alports female, diagnosed ESRD 10/04
11/04  Hemo in clinic
6/07 hemo at HOME! 
2/3/09 - Transplant from an angel of a friend!!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »