I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 06:17:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Which Medicare Part D Company?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which Medicare Part D Company?  (Read 1971 times)
Black
Elite Member

« on: July 22, 2007, 02:41:57 PM »

How can we determine which Medicare Part D company will give the best coverage for Mike's medication?

We have discovered that the paperwork we filled out at the dialysis clinic only enrolled him in Medicare Part A and Part B. We have no insurance of any kind, so we need to enroll him in Part D but don't know how to figure out which meds he is likely to need in the future and which plan will cover those. I asked the social worker at the clinic and she said to go on-line to the Medicare site and pick one.  There are so many, and we don't know which one is better for dialysis patients.  Right now he takes a low dose of two BP meds (about $100 a month) and Sodium Bicarbonate (about $5.00 a month) for the metabolic acidosis.  But what meds will he be likely to need in the next 5 months, or next year?

We live in Anderson County, SC.  Does anyone live near us in SC and know which plan is best for dialysis patients?  Since the SW was no help, and the pharmacist gave us a Blue Cross business card (which resulted in a huge envelope of insurance information that would require a lawyer to explain, most of which says "not available for ESRD"), any ideas on who to ask?

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 03:44:24 PM »

I went to the medicare site and put in my medications and it picked out a plan several that covered them.  From there I went with the one that  required the least amount of pre authorization for some of my meds.
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 08:34:38 PM »

I also used the site- I was really terrified I would pick the wrong one but so far it has all worked out okay- I too-entered the meds then it narrowed it down to only 100 companies instead of more lol, it was overwhelming,

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
pdpatty

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 05:54:15 AM »

Check to see if the companies have a formulary that will tell you which drugs they will cover.  Many companies would not cover the vitamin d I was on(it changed and I now take a more expensive one,Zemplar) and they would not cover Fosrenol,the phos binder.
I finally found that Humana would cover these drugs. They have a lower costing plan I intend to switch to next year.
I have NO deductable and it covers the donut hole. But the premium is $84.00 a month. The one I may switch to covers both but would cost about $34 (if they don't raise the rates again). Good luck on a speedy search. By the way,one morning I spent 2 hours on hold only to be told the company would not cover all my meds. LOL
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »