I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2024, 03:22:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  NXSTAGE AND fluid
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: NXSTAGE AND fluid  (Read 1816 times)
julian230

Ah cha cha!

« on: October 05, 2008, 05:38:31 PM »

Is anyone on Nxstage and do they enjoy it? is it like hemodialysis and are you allowed alot more fluid and diet? what about time on it? tell me stuff! Sorry so many questions , i'm considering on going it but i need a reason to , and more freedom with stuff... :clap;
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 08:15:23 PM »

nxStage is hemodialysis, very similar to in-center in terms of how it works.  I use 15 gauge needles to access my graft, just like I would in-center.   I do short daily runs, 5 days a week, for approximately 2 and 1/4 hours to 2 and 1/2 hours each run.  it is also possible to use it for overnight runs, if your center will support it.  Because it's done more often than standard in-center, it is possible to drink more fluids while using it.  It also improved my labs, so that I can eat more high potassium and high phos foods without any problems. 
Personally, I love the Nxstage compared to in-center.  I feel better, have more energy, and get to eat and drink more on it than I did in-center.  I also like the freedom to rearrange my schedule anytime I want.  I normally have Sunday and Thursday off.  This week, my partner wanted to go to a football game.  He was invited on Wednesday afternoon to go that night.  So we just switched days, and took Wed off, and did dialysis on Thursday.  No fussing with in-center, inflexible schedules.
Although I've said it in other posts - I also don't miss the drive to the center, the germs that everyone passes around there in cold and flu season.  I don't miss the center's uncomfortable chairs, or listening to the person next to me get sick.  I don't miss their rules about no cell phones or no visitors.  I like doing it at home, while yakking on my phone or talking to my company, while my little heater keeps the room exactly the temp I want it.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 03:27:39 AM »

My husband Marvin LOVES NxStage for all of the reasons jbeany stated above.  He was on in-center for over 12 years, and we've been on home hemo now for 15 months.  To him, there is absolutely no comparison!!!
silverhead

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 07:41:51 AM »

There would be a definite War zone around our neighborhood if someone tried to take away our NxStage.......

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
julian230

Ah cha cha!

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 09:36:04 AM »

WOW! This all sounds like a fairy land for dialysis! So I take it most people would agree on doing it! I'll ask my doctor about it, but I definitely would love to do it !
Wallyz

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 09:39:30 AM »

Yep- and  ask about extended therapy (overnight) option- there are much fewer diet restrictions needed when you are running slow and for a long time.

I was the pilot fro my centers Extended program, now they have three other people going nocturnal.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 03:58:11 PM »

There is an extensive discussion about NXstage dialysis machines and people on it in this section of the threads. http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?board=37.0 Read read read!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »