I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 02:51:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  I'm new here
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'm new here  (Read 7426 times)
Jannie

« on: September 02, 2007, 03:39:31 PM »

I had undiagnosed high blood pressure, Whig culminated in a stroke in 2001. At that time I had 18 percent kidney function, which continued to decline for the next six years. I was forced to quit work, and just started dialysis August 20, and I hate it. That's how I found your website. Love the name. I'm very uncomfortable during dialysis. I guess I have a lot of anxiety about it, I hate the needles and lying still for three hours. The medical team is searching for my proper "dry weight" and I personally think they're taking TOO MU Ch out of me. I get cold during the treatments, I get nauseous, and I thew up last time. I'm scheduled for dialysis three times a week. After my last session Saturday, I cane home and went to bed. Felt nauseous and thirsty. I'll take the treatment Tuesday, but if I feel bad afterwards, I plan to call my doctor and tell them I"m;m skipping Thursday treatment. Does anybody here do hemodialysis twice a week only?  I would greatly love to hear from you. Because I hate dialysis. r
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 03:44:25 PM »

Oh Jannie,  I'm so sorry you have to join the dialysis forces.  But, you are here and you feel just like the rest of us.  Just let me say that it does get better and you will feel better.  Then something will happen and you will feel bad again and then you will feel better.  You are in for the biggest roller coaster ride of your life so hang on!

You need to stick with 3 times a week.  We can help you find things to do during dialysis that will occupy your time.  As you feel better you will be able to concentrate more. 

Read through some of the posts here and you will learn a lot.

For now.........Welcome to IHD.  I hate it too if that makes you feel any better.  Hang in there Jannie!

:welcomesign;

Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 03:57:53 PM »

:welcomesign;

Hang in there. There are some very good people here to give you support.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 04:24:54 PM »

Welcome to ihatedialysis.com Jannie,

Please read as much as you can and ask questions, that's why we are here. Sorry you are having a hard time adjusting. It seems to affect everyone a little different. Please know that we are here for you as you go through this period.

Hope things get a little better, soon.  :grouphug;

Sluff/ Admin
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 04:27:50 PM »

:welcomesign; Sorry your on dialysis but hopefully you adjust soon. Unfortunately your going to be told you need 3 times a week.... goodluck.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Razman

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 04:32:40 PM »

Thanks for joining and I hope that your dialysis will get easier.   Please look around and post your questions.   There are many that have been through this and I am sure that they will help when they can.
Laurie

May 13, 2008

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 04:49:12 PM »

:welcomesign; Glad you found this site.

March 7, 2001 - Complications after C-section caused kidney failure
March 2001 - December 2001 - Hemo Dialysis
December 2001 - Kidney function improved dialysis no longer necessary
October 2006 - Kidney function started to decline
May 9, 2007 - Listed at Baylor Dallas and Fort Worth
October 12, 2007 - Started PD
May 13, 2008 - Kidney Transplant from a deceased donor
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 07:20:48 PM »

Welcome to the boards.  We have a lot of information for you here.  Staying on dialysis three times a week is hard at first and you are going to feel awful. But it gets better with time. Remember you are full of toxins at first that your body has to get rid of.  Find something to do while you are in the center. If worse comes to worse talk to the techs and nurses. Good luck and I hope things go better for you.

kitkatz,moderator

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
keefer51

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 01:33:42 AM »

:welcomesign; Jannie. I remember when i first started dialysis they were having trouble with my dry weight. I told them that when i was in the hospital i was only wearing a hospital gown and now i was dressed. They look confused so i bought in everything i wore now including underwear! My clothing counted for 1.6 kilos. I hope this site helps you.

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 06:40:17 AM »

Hello and  :welcomesign;

It's not easy being green.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2007, 11:33:24 AM »

:waving; Hi Jannie,

Welcome! I am sorry you're not feeling better. Try to keep track of your weight before and after dialysis and you will become familiar with what is "right" for your body's dry weight. If you're still urinating they will have to reset the machine's default so you have a good balance of fluids after dialysis. I hope things get easier for you and I wish you all the best!

okarol/moderator

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2007, 12:40:12 PM »

Welcome Jannie, good to have you aboard.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2007, 03:42:15 PM »

:waving;  Welcome

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2007, 04:08:20 PM »

Hi Jannie, Welcome to ihatedialysis.com.  I am sorry to hear how your feeling before, during and after your dialysis but it will get better once they figure out what your dry weight is.  If i may, i would recommend you NOT skipping a treatment unless you speak with your neph before hand (although i am sure he wont recommend it either)  The toxins build up in your blood quickly and lets just say having too much phos or potassium in you is something you dont want to experience  :thumbdown;  I hope things get better for you.  Please come to the website as much as possible, read as much as you can and do not hesitate to ask all the questions you can think of, in time that alone would be great help as well.  Looking forward to hearing more from you  :2thumbsup;

Goofynina/Admin.

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2007, 06:48:14 PM »

Welcome to the IHD Family Jannie!
You've come to the right place to get info, support and make new friends.

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2007, 08:01:04 PM »

i wear basically the same clothes each time i go, that way there is no variation for clothing weight. i'm also attempting to loose weight so for me dry weight doesn't mean much. we take off 2.3 each time. if you are cramping they are dehydrating you and that's just as bad as retaining fluid. also depending on how and what you are eating you may be gaining real weight and not fluid. this is something they don't seem to get. you need to remember that you are in charge and they need to do it your way. you know your body. the techs know how to run the machine, but they don't know everything. i had one tell me if i was loosing weight i wasn't eating enough protein, which is bull, as she has no idea what my labs are. while they can give you good information, don't take everything as gospel, research and come to your own conclusions. you'll do fine. welcome, we're glad you're here.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2007, 11:06:55 AM »

Welcome to our community.  I am so glad that you found us.  You need us and we need you..  You are going through the rough part of dialysis.  I was there too.  The first months, I used to feel just BLAAAHHH when I came off.  I was unable to do anything until the next morning.  But that has all changed. It seems that my body has gotten accustomed to dialysis, and I usually feel quite well when I come off these days.  So get some good books, get a portable DVD player, take up knitting - anything to use up that time.
It would not be a good idea to cut down on sessions.  Three times a week is not even perfect.  Remember that we are trying to get the machine to do what a good kidney does 24/7.  So please stick with it.  It will get better, I promise you.  Here is a group hug from all of us. :grouphug;

Bajanne, Moderator
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 05:30:01 AM by bajanne2000 » Logged

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
st789

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2007, 11:22:05 AM »

Yep, the up and down of dialysis.
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2007, 11:46:24 AM »

Listen to the pros, they know whereof they speak!  I've learned so much here in the past few months, and am so glad I am here! Welcome, it WILL get better.  :welcomesign; :grouphug;
Jannie

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2007, 04:31:17 PM »

Wow, thanks for all the support, sy,pathy. i will continue 3x a week. But I will speak with my physician about my discomfort. I feel better on the days off. in between. So at least I feel okay at least part of the time.The tech at my last visit was very kind, we talked about everything under the sun, my perfect dry weight,trvipes for  hollandaise sauce. laundry, just got to know each other. Hope he's there tomorrow, though I must say all the techs are the greatest.
bolta72

my best friend

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2007, 05:05:20 AM »

Grammal hit it right on the button, after awhile you will know at what weight you will feel better at, take charge, its your health and only you know how you feel. Welcome to your home away from home.

gotta do what I gotta do.. 2 yrs in ctr hemo
Redbomb

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2007, 04:10:35 PM »

:welcomesign; -- I'm new here, and new to Dialysis myself.  I am going through that "find your dry weight" guessing game right now.  I haven't felt bad, but I have had a couple of days with bad leg cramps.  THAT is no fun!   :(

Look forward to reading your posts and perhaps meeting you in the chat room!
brenda

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2007, 08:46:58 PM »

Setting a dry weight can be a little tough. Hang in there, it will get better.   :welcomesign;

Life is what happens while your making other plans.
Jannie

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2007, 07:20:46 AM »

Thanks again for all the replies and good advice and support. I've been dialyzing just about a month and it's starting to get better. I think they are close to my exact dry weight. The last time I felt OK Thru the entire treatment. I've been looking around this site and I've learned A LOT. THANKS.  A couple of thoughts:  I wish a real celebrity would develop kidney failure. No, I don't wish anybody that. I just think if a famous likeable person would get kidney failure, it would raise awareness, maybe get more people to be organ donors, etc.  Second, and I apologize if anyone is offended. I went to church yesterday. I'm not a great church-goer, but I felt the need for it. The gospel was about when Jesus said "take up your crosses and follow me. " The priest then said many people with chronic illnesses wear crosses to remind them of their lord. Well, I have a cross in my jewelry box I'm going to wear to dialysis from now on. They say Jesus suffered on the cross for three hours, isn't it a strange coincidence my dialysis takes exactly three hours?  One of the nurses at the hospital wears a cross, I will thank her. Again, I deeply apologize if I have offended any non-Christians. I just find this is something that will help me tolerate the treatments. "Bye for now. . .
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »