I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 12:38:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Too Much Antibiotics?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Too Much Antibiotics?  (Read 2384 times)
alrightstill

BAH!

« on: July 26, 2007, 10:47:48 AM »

I have a catheter ( :thumbdown; I know.. I know..) and recently around the site its been starting to hurt and almost sting.  There's not really any draingage, so I was put on a 7 day antibiotic..

5 days later it was still hurting so I made my clinic take a culture of the little drainage that was there and it turns out there was a staff skin infection.  The nurse practitioner (who is constantly guessing at things and getting my name wrong) put me on Zyvox and told me that the previous antibiotic she put me on was resistant to this type of infection.

It stopped hurting for a few days, but then it started up again.. Its really like a stinging feeling around the site, not the site itself.  Now the nurse practioner wants to put me on Levaquin.. and if that doesnt help then "maybe it's something mechanical".  Erh?

:rant;

1992 @ age 12 i was suddenly diagnosed with ESRD. 
1992 - 1995: Peritoneal Dialysis
1995: Cadaver Transplant
2001: Kidney rejects, back on PD
2002: too much scar tissue prevents PD from succeeding, go on hemo via permacath,
         transplanted kidney is removed.
Dec 2004 -- 2009t: on NXSTAGE (with the bags NOT pureflow) 6x a week via permacath
Dec 2009: Transplant from a pal
Oct 2016 - present:  Transplant fails, back on NxStage w/pureflow via femoral cath, patiently waiting for next kidney
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 10:52:57 AM »

skip the nurse practitioner and call your neph. or if necessary go to the emergency room. you don't want this to progress from a skin infection to a blood infection.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
alrightstill

BAH!

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 11:01:49 AM »

I was thinking of calling my neph - its just so hard to get in touch with him and his receptionists arent the nicest of ladies.  I wouldn't even know how to explain it on the phone.. I guess exactly what I just said here though.

It sucks too.. I'm going on my first plane trip with NxStage on Tuesday -- I wanted this all straightened out by now.  It's just aggravating. 

Thanks for your reply.  I think I will call the neph..  I can't take any chances.

1992 @ age 12 i was suddenly diagnosed with ESRD. 
1992 - 1995: Peritoneal Dialysis
1995: Cadaver Transplant
2001: Kidney rejects, back on PD
2002: too much scar tissue prevents PD from succeeding, go on hemo via permacath,
         transplanted kidney is removed.
Dec 2004 -- 2009t: on NXSTAGE (with the bags NOT pureflow) 6x a week via permacath
Dec 2009: Transplant from a pal
Oct 2016 - present:  Transplant fails, back on NxStage w/pureflow via femoral cath, patiently waiting for next kidney
skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 01:53:10 PM »

I'm so sorry for your catheter issues.  My husband Rob was the king of catheter infections last year.  He had to have 6 catheters put in before his fistula matured.  It was just horrible!

My advice would be get yourself to the Neph or ER (even though I hate ER's!).  Rob's last infection was so bad it was through his body.  Thankfully we got it in time before they had to do a blood transfusion.  He was in the hospital for 1 week due to this.  He was like you, kept getting infections, going on antibiotics and once off the anti's, he would get the infection again.

Screw the Neph's receptionist, I can't stand Rob's either.  Get yourself in there and get a plan together for you.

Good luck!!!!

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 02:09:10 PM »

Many people carry the staph aureus bacterium in their nose, so it is always advisable with a catheter to wear a mask while being put on and taken off the machine.  Make sure the nurse or dialysis technician is doing the same, because staph infections for people with a catheter have been found to be much more common during cold season, so patients and the people putting them on and taking them off the machine are spreading their germs to the open line.
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 05:13:56 PM »

if you go to the er, they will call your neph. avoid the receptionest all together

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
keefer51

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 08:57:45 PM »

I had seven catheters the first time with dialysis and six this time. I have a working fistula now for two years. Some of the infections would put me in the hospital and some were treated at dialysis. They gave me allot of Vancomycin and Gentamycin. But too much of these can cause an inner ear problem. This happened to me and now i walk like i am drunk and am losing my hearing in my left ear. The infections suck but once they find a antibiotic that works it's great.

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »