I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 02:26:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
| | |-+  how long
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: how long  (Read 10939 times)
Jannie

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2007, 08:35:48 AM »

How lo mg till you start feeling physically better? I started dialysis recently, Aug 20 2007, so it's been under a month. I feel like crap physically, I hate the treatments. I'm phobic about needles, don't like this sight of blood, especially my own. At the treatments, I get shaky and cold, feel dizzy, have vomited twice, and in general feel bad after, very weak and staggerry. But mentally I feel like a champ! I feel so bright and smart and clear-headed. I feel like, altho I don't want to work at a regular job, I should start a big writing project. I can't decide, should I start a fictional book or write my autobiography?
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2007, 08:48:57 AM »

Jannie, I don't like needles either so I look away when they're putting them in... look away and think of something nice (alas I can't say in a family forum like this :D ) and voila they're in and I'm off and running.

You will get used to it in time I'm sure.

I think it may take as long as 2-3 months before you start to feel better.. but everyone is different so don't take that as gospel. As I said in another thread they are likely still getting your settings, dry weight and meds settled as you do treatments and they monitor you and your labs... unfortunately with dialysis you can't expect miracles instantly.. these things take time.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2007, 09:00:40 AM »

Rob has been on dialysis for 1 1/2 years now (can't believe it's been that long!) and it took him about 2 months before he felt better.  He should have started dialysis before he did and he just felt like total crap.

He now does NxStage home hemo (for almost 5 months now) and he feels so much better now.  He was doing fine with in-center, but the home hemo has really improved how he feels.  He says it's almost like he felt before the disease except for the tiredness.  He has never gotten used to that.  However, he watches his diet, takes his binders and really tries to limit the fluid.  This has helped immensely.  He works full time and we still travel.  We have really been able to live a normal life and incorporate the dialysis.  Don't get me wrong, it's hard, especially when he is having access issues or when he has issues with his diabetes, but those blips are few and far between.

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2007, 12:39:13 PM »

In center since 8/06 feel the same all ways tired..............Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2007, 02:35:10 PM »

Len had been on hemo since Oct 2001. In 2002 we trained for home hemo and started at home in April. Len was really critally ill in the being, he only weight 115 (down from 155) and home hemo was honestly the best thing we did. He got better treatment and restored some of his health. He had a transplant last Friday 9/7.

Kathy
willieandwinnie

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2007, 03:50:39 PM »

I've been on Dialysis for 3 years, 3 months and 26 days.  It feels three times as long as I've just listed.

I find that my body is cyclical when it comes to how I feel after treatments.  Sometimes the first couple of hours after a treatment I feel like my old self.  A lot of times I have trouble making it up and down the stairs of my apartment because the fluid on my body causes my muscles to ache mercilessly.

I figure I'm about halfway through Dialysis since O blood type patients take 7 to 8 years to receive a kidney from the list.

No, that fact doesn't make me feel any better.  Here's to Bionic Kidney's.

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2007, 08:06:21 PM »

Stacy, I was wondering... what's your PRA?

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »