I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 04:25:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Post transplant fluid retention
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Post transplant fluid retention  (Read 11569 times)
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« on: June 09, 2007, 01:02:46 AM »

Who has had experience with this, and did you find any successful methods of dealing with it?

I've been home from hospital for a few days, I've had my transplant a little over a week. For some days I've had problems with fluid retention in my feet, ankles and legs. I can virtually not walk anywhere very far, which is pretty disappointing - to finally be home then have to sit on the couch with my feet elevated.

The doctors have given my diuretics and promised it won't last more than maybe a few weeks, but in the mean time I'd like to hear about other people's experience.
keefer51

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 05:52:33 AM »

I had fluid retention also. They gave me a few drugs which i'm sorry i can't remember what the names of them are. And i kept my feey elevated it went away after a bout three weeks. Don't worry you will be ok.

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 01:52:41 AM »

It's driving me nuts having to sit around all day with my feet up! I'm so impatient, but I shouldn't complain, for the sake of a few weeks!

Thanks Keefer.

I've been given diuretics in the meantime.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 09:13:19 AM »

is it stopping you drinking when you want to for fear of making the retention worse?

and aren't you supposed to drink at least 2l of water/day after a transplant?

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Roxy

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 10:15:28 AM »

I just started getting fluid retention this past week ( which is my 4th week after transplant). It of course goes down overnight and then the second I start  walking during the day, my feet and ankles are swollen again. I just try to do what I can and put my feet up as much as possible during the day. I assume it will go away sooner or later. I try not to let it get in the way of what I want to do, but it is irritating.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 10:50:12 AM »

Jenna didn't have fluid retention, but I know that because they pump you so full of fluids with the IV during and following surgery, it sometimes takes awhile to adjust. I am sure they told you to measure your blood pressure, temperature, and urine output at home, and keep a log of these readings. Are you putting out a lot of urine? Have you measured? Are you weighing yourself everyday? Drinking lots of water everyday is supposed to flush out your system so don't stop that.
This is from: http://www.emedicinehealth.com/kidney_transplant/page5_em.htm#Outlook%20After%20Kidney%20Transplantation

One of your greatest concerns as a transplant recipient will be that your body’s immune system will reject and attack the transplanted kidney. If not reversed, rejection will destroy the transplanted organ. For this reason, you and your family must keep aware of warning signs and symptoms of rejection. You must contact the transplant team immediately if any of these symptoms develop.

* Hypertension (high blood pressure) - An ominous sign that the kidney is not functioning properly

* Swelling or puffiness - A sign of fluid retention, usually in the arms, legs, or face

* Decreased urine output

If you are a kidney transplant recipient, any of the following symptoms warrant immediate care at a hospital emergency department, preferably the hospital where the transplant was done.

* Fever - A sign of infection

* Abdominal pain

* Tenderness, redness, or swelling at the surgical site

* Shortness of breath - A sign of fluid retention in the lungs

I am sure you know better than to be shy about asking for answers. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, so push a little for an explanation as to what is causing the fluid retention so you don't have to worry.
I hope things improve soon. How is you dad feeling?
Best,
Karol

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 12:52:28 AM »

I try to drink a minimum of 2.5 litres a day, as advised. Despite the fluid retention, I've been advised to maintain this level of input. I do have a good urine output also, and I have to ensure my intake is above my output.

I've been advised that the fluid retention may last a few weeks, for some people it might be a few months at most. So it sounds like a temporary problem. My situation is pretty much identical to how Roxy has described - good in the mornings, things puff up as soon as you get out of bed and start trying to get around and do things! Even sitting up in a chair is no good, the feet need to be elevated for any relief. Hence why I can't sit at this computer very long.  :)

Thanks for your input everyone, very helpful as usual.

Okarol - dad is still feeling quite sore, but much better since he's been home and able to sleep in his own bed. Yes, I certainly do have some of those symptoms but I am seeing doctors every morning in outpatient clinic and they're aware of everything. My lungs are sounding very clear, which is good, and although my temperature has been up a bit, it is not that high that they are concerned about it. But yes, they are definitely symptoms I'm keeping an eye on.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 12:55:11 AM by cycobully » Logged
Roxy

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 11:54:53 AM »

Cycobully, I just talked to one of my nurses and she said that my swelling is probably in part because of my new blood pressure medication (Norvasc). Are you on any blood pressure meds or anything that could add to the  fluid retention? Also my left foot swells way more than my right, and they said this is probably because my kidney is on my left.  Is one side worse for you than the other?? Just like your doctors, mine also said it should go away after a while. The only thing that I have started worrying about with mine is that my left foot is so swollen that I end up walking more on  the edge of my left foot than the whole foot. It makes me somewhat uneasy to walk because I worry I will roll my ankle or something.
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 05:19:00 PM »

Hi Roxy

I am also on Norvasc, but have been for years with no previous fluid retention prior to the transplant.

Funnily enough, my left foot seems to be more puffy though the kidney is on my right! lol, trust me to be weird.

I'm not worried about rolling, because I walk so slowly anyway atm, and take each step very carefully - AND most importantly, I don't go very far simply because I'm not physically capable of doing so yet!

It is certainly feeling slightly better today and I think the diuretics are helping. Thanks for your input, it's encouraging to hear from others and know that it's not anything to worry too much about. It's been 2 weeks (tomorrow) since the transplant, so if this is a condition that's only expected to last a few weeks, then I'm almost over it with a bit of luck!  :yahoo;
Roxy

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 06:33:47 PM »

That's good to hear that it's getting better. Yeah my problem is that i'm a little too ambitious too quickly with my walking and exercising. Like last week I walked 8.5 miles. Not such a good idea considering it made my stent rub against my bladder and made me bleed a little. It was the day after that which my swelling began. That is funny that your left foot is more puffy even with your kidney on your right. Well hopefully this is all you have to deal with as far as post transplant issues. It sounds like you're doing great so far, which is awesome!  :clap;
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 03:18:07 AM »

Yeah, I have been doing great so far, after the initial difficulty. I really want to do more things already, like walking about, but I'm being careful. I just can't, anyway!

It won't kill me to rest for a few weeks, it just makes me impatient.

Tomorrow we are going to do some grocery shopping, and I am going to be pushed in a wheelchair by my husband, but at least I will walk to the Info Desk Counter to pick up the wheelchair  :)
tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 05:26:15 AM »

Enjoy the Shopping, hey you will get a different view down there in the chair, who knows what different things you will bring home!

Have Fun and You Go Girl ! :2thumbsup;

Tamara xxx ooo  :cuddle;

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 04:46:09 PM »

Just had my staples removed this morning. Feels much better without them!  :yahoo;
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 05:03:25 PM »

Yes... continuing with drinking 2+ liters a day is great. It's people who drink too little who will retain fluids, so drinking 2+ liters a day will help not retain extra fluids than your already retaining.

Yay about your staples! :)

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »