I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2024, 07:24:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Busy life, despite kidney disease
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Busy life, despite kidney disease  (Read 2032 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: May 30, 2007, 10:19:21 AM »

Busy life, despite kidney disease

Kamahl Cogdon

May 30, 2007 12:00am
Article from: Herald-Sun

Font size: + -

Send this article: Print Email

BEING hooked up to a dialysis machine for 4 1/2 hours three times a week is not most people's idea of a good time.

But it's a ritual kidney disease patient Kevin Green looks forward to.

It's often the first chance he's had all day to sit down.

Mr Green, 42, believes keeping busy and positive are great medicine for the kidney condition he was diagnosed with at 18.

The Macleod dad runs his own painting business five days a week, works in Collingwood pizzeria Santo Michele's two nights and every second weekend, enjoys a regular round of golf, helps at Auskick, spends precious time with eight-year-old daughter Kaila and occasionally volunteers at the Royal Melbourne Hospital.

"You've got to stay active -- that's the main ingredient," Mr Green said.

"If you don't, the kidney disease and dialysis will just play on your mind and you won't want to do anything."

But Mr Green also knows he's lucky to have had been diagnosed early.

He was dining in a Lygon St restaurant when he suffered severe back pains and decided to get checked out immediately at the Royal Melbourne Hospital.

A simple blood test confirmed glomerulonephritis, an inflammation of the filtering units of the kidneys affecting their ability to filter waste and excess water from the blood.

Mr Green was able to avoid dialysis for another 18 years because the condition was caught early when just 5 per cent of function had been lost, and because he led a healthy lifestyle.

But many people don't know they have kidney disease until they have lost 90 per cent of kidney function, with few or no warning signs to alert them.

They must start dialysis immediately and begin the wait for a donor organ.

Mr Green has been waiting for a donor kidney for seven years, with two brothers, a sister and his ex-wife ruled out as suitable donors.

While disappointed they were not a match, the tests were not a complete loss, revealing ex-wife Susie also had a kidney condition.

Mr Green will continue dialysis at the Royal Melbourne Hospital's Coburg centre.

He said he had developed a bond with the other 11 patients on his 3pm to 7.30pm Monday, Wednesday and Friday "shifts", including inspirational dialysis veteran and artist Wayne Larson, who had been having the lifesaving treatment for 35 years.

The number of Australians on dialysis is increasing 6 per cent each year, with an average six new patients being accepted on to the program every day.

It costs $72,000 a year to treat each of them.

While Mr Green did not fit the profile of a typical kidney disease patient, one in three Australians is thought to be at increased risk because they had diabetes, high blood pressure, smoked, were aged over 50, were obese, or of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent.

"Early diagnosis is the key," Mr Green said.

"Once your kidneys are gone 90 per cent, there's no reversing.

"And the problem is you don't know that they're gone."

Net link: www.kidney.org.au

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,21815324-24331,00.html?from=public_rss

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
tweetykiss

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 11:52:48 AM »

This is a fine example that life does not end when one has dialysis........it is a very inspiring story.....

Husband started hemo dialysis on July 30, 2007
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 12:27:30 PM »

This is a great report.  I liked the title "Busy life, despite kidney disease" because that describes my own life.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »