I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2024, 10:27:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  New hope for kidney dialysis patients
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New hope for kidney dialysis patients  (Read 2396 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: May 14, 2007, 10:48:06 PM »

New hope for kidney dialysis patients

Rachael Clegg
Manchester Evening News - UK
9/ 5/2007

PATIENTS on kidney dialysis can need up to 12 doses of medication a day to regulate their phosphate levels. Now the introduction of new drug, Fosrenol, means their pill burden can be cut by more than 75 per cent. Rachael Clegg reports.

Retired GP Simon Jenkins, like many kidney patients on dialysis, suffered from raised phosphate levels, known as hyperphosphataemia, as a result of his condition.

He is one of more than 23,000 people in the UK diagnosed with end stage renal disease, about 70 per cent of whom have hyperphosphataemia – a condition which until recently has meant taking up to 12 phosphate-binding tablets a day to control.

The high dose medication meant that many patients frequently missed doses. So, when clinical trials became available to test a new medication which required only two or three tablets a day, Simon was keen to take part.

Discomfort

“Because of my high phosphate levels I had constant itchy skin that was so bad that it would keep me awake at night,” explains the 69-year-old from Whitefield.

“Nothing seemed to relieve it. Even getting up and having a cold shower gave little relief. I was increasingly anxious because I knew what could happen if my phosphate levels got too high."

Phosphate is a mineral which we absorb from our food. However, patients with kidney disease are unable to remove waste and toxins effectively from their body. Dialysis can remove much of the waste from the blood, but is unable to filter out phosphate for the majority of patients. Symptoms of abnormally high phosphate levels include tiredness, restless legs, reduced sex drive and incessant itching of the skin.

Out of control

If not managed successfully, hyperphosphataemia can cause serious long-term health risks leading to renal osteodystrophy (resulting in bone pain, brittle bones and skeletal deformities) and potentially contributing to cardiovascular disease, which accounts for almost half of all deaths among dialysis patients.

“I was delighted when they chose me to do the extended trial of Fosrenol,” says Simon, who took part in a double blind clinical trial of Fosrenol in which, to eliminate bias, neither the patients nor doctors knew who had the placebo drug and who had the active drug.

“I knew immediately I had the active drug because the itching stopped and I no longer had these distressing symptoms – I also knew my phosphate levels had gone down which had not happened with the other phosphate binding drugs I had previously been prescribed.

“It was great that the Fosrenol didn't taste of anything as the phosphate drugs I was previously taking were chalky and unpleasantly sweet. Also, it was a huge advantage having to take far fewer tablets – two or three instead of 12-15 tablets a day.”

Since taking part in the trial, Simon has undergone a successful kidney transplant and now no longer needs to take Fosrenol.  However, in his position as vice chairman of the Kidney Patient's Association he would recommend it to anyone in a similar situation.

“It was a great drug for me,” he adds. “I was on it with no side effects until I was lucky enough to have a donated kidney transplant and it made a hell of a difference to my life.”

More information

Fosrenol is an effective non-calcium phosphate binder, which maintains control of phosphate levels and is well-tolerated by the majority of patients. It provides a new option for the control of hyperphosphataemia in chronic renal failure patients on haemodialysis or continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis. Most patients can be managed with one chewable tablet during each meal.

Dr Alastair Hutchison, from the Manchester Institute of Nephrology & Transplantation, co-ordinated the Fosrenol trial in Europe and welcomes its launch in the UK.

“Control of hyperphosphataemia remains an unmet clinical need in many patients with chronic kidney disease, with many still having phosphate levels well above the recommended limit. The introduction of Fosrenol to the UK provides patients with a new, effective therapy that is easy and convenient to take, helping to simplify their control of phosphate levels.

"If you're being asked to take 12 – 15 tablets a day the chances are you'll forget at times. Itching of the skin is something that dialysis patients get all the time but it's the long term effects of elevated phosphate levels that are more troublesome such as hardening of the arteries which occurs over months to years and yet patients can be unaware that it is happening."

“We hope that reducing patient's phosphate level to more normal values by using Fosrenol in association with good dialysis will help prevent this.”

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/lifestyle/health_and_beauty/health_and_beauty_feature/s/1006/1006532_new_hope_for_kidney_dialysis_patients_.html

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 02:54:45 PM »

Too bad they dont mention how huge and nasty those things are  :-\

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 10:20:10 PM »

Fosrenol is only as bad as some Tums are.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 10:21:21 PM »

Fosrenol is only as bad as some Tums are.

Not the Tums Smoothies, those things are like candy, i love 'em  :2thumbsup;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »