I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 04:32:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  An organ donation inspired Cochran's foundation to help others in need
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: An organ donation inspired Cochran's foundation to help others in need  (Read 1894 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: April 28, 2007, 12:31:36 AM »

Experience built his foundation
An organ donation inspired Cochran's foundation to help others in need

by cara hall
juice staff writer
April 25, 2007

Last May, his kidneys failing and facing a transplant, Ted Cochran felt like he needed to do something, anything, to give back for the gift he was soon to receive.

"I woke up with an inner passion," said Cochran, 28. "I needed to be an advocate for the thing that would save my life."

Having worked in Web-related jobs for the past 10 years but knowing nothing about starting a non-profit, Cochran began to research and talk to others about starting his own organization.

On August 29, he received a kidney from his mother, Carla. Six weeks later he was back at work. In March he unveiled the Web site for his new non-profit, My Angel Foundation.

The goal of the foundation, he says, is to support others impacted by organ and tissue donation, to connect them with each other and to educate the public how they can help.

THE ULTIMATE GIFT

Cochran never thought he'd be a transplant recipient at 28. Though he endured multiple surgeries as a child and a near-death experience at age 19 because of a bladder blockage that backed up into his kidneys, doctors told him he probably wouldn't need a transplant until 40 or 50. He was born with a third kidney that allowed him to survive all those years without dialysis. But it failed sooner than expected.

Thankfully, Cochran's mother was a match for organ donation and he was able to use a living donor rather than wait on a list for one to become available. His mother's remaining kidney will grow to compensate for the missing one. And the one he received will grow to match his body size.

Cochran says of the 96,000 people on the donor registry, 70,000 are waiting for kidneys, and they, too, can benefit from living donors. Before the transplant he was weak and needed two naps a day. Now he's living a perfectly normal life.

Even if you're young, in your 20s and 30s, you're not invincible. That's what My Angel Foundation tries to convey to people. You may give or receive an organ someday.

Foundation board member Jennifer Amendt, 24, has been passionate about this message since she met the recipient of her best friend's lungs in 2004. Her friend, Kari Westberg, died unexpectedly in 2000 when she was still in high school. Thankfully she had communicated her wishes about organ donation beforehand.

BUILDING A FOUNDATION

Eventually, Cochran wants My Angel Foundation to offer financial support, but he doesn't want to start that until he's accumulated enough donations to keep from turning people away. He's recruiting "Angel Teams" to organize events in communities across the country.

The expense - before, during and after a transplant - is more than most people can bear on their own, Cochran said. His was on the low side, around $140,000. Anti-rejection medications he will need the rest of his life cost $3,000-$5,000 every month. Even with insurance, co-pays are about $500 a month. "That's half a mortgage payment," he said, so donations are vital.

One of the first efforts comes in August, when the foundation hosts dragon boat races at Gray's Lake. With all the fundraising events already out there, he wanted to try something a little different. My Angel's board members are all under 30, so they tend to come up with ideas like sand volleyball rather than bake sales.

Cochran's thrown his newfound energy into starting more Web sites and growing his organization. Despite his fears about going into this project with no experience, he's not letting his second chance go by.

"It's kind of like going off the high dive when you're a kid," he said. "You have to talk yourself into going up the ladder and then stepping off the edge. But once you take that first step you love it."

::      My Angel Foundation
     What it is: A non-profit organization, founded by Ted Cochran, 28, after he received a donor kidney from his mother last August.

Goals: Raise awareness about organ and tissue donation, support people who are going through the donation process and spread hope through compassion, a concept Cochran explains as connecting people who want to help others with the right organization, even if it's not for organ donation.

April is National Donate Life Month, according to the Iowa Organ Donor Network. In Iowa, about 300 people are waiting to receive a kidney, officials said.

Events: Many fundraising events are still in the planning stages, but the Paddling for Hope Races are scheduled for August 18 at Gray's Lake. Teams of 18 paddlers will compete in a tournament of dragon boat races for about $20 per team member. Companies can sponsor a team or groups of friends can form a team together.

"Everyone has to paddle at the same time so it's a great team building exercise," Cochran said.

How you can help: Go to myangelfoundation.org to learn about making a donation or starting/joining an Angel team. If you want to be a donor someday, you should check "yes" on your drivers license, define your wishes at iowadonorregistry.com and discuss it with your family. "A lot of people think organ donation is a great cause, but only a few people take the steps they need to document their wishes," he said.

Info: myangelfoundation.org

URL: http://www.dmjuice.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070425/JUICE03/704250319

PHOTO: Ted Cochran received a kidney transplant last August, then started a non-profit.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »