I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 11:20:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  treatment length
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: treatment length  (Read 3748 times)
George Jung

« on: April 17, 2007, 09:04:00 AM »

Can HD treatment times be adjusted?  I am not having more than 2.5 kilos taken off and my labs have been consistently on the mark.  What would cutting back to 3.5 or 3 hrs from currently doing 4 hours?
Rose From OZ

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 09:22:15 AM »

Well from my experience, and from talking to numerous nurses and doctors, the truth is the more dialysis you do the better. In a "healthy" person your kidneys work 24 / 7!! so the more dialysis you can handle the better it is for you, as long as you monitor your potassium and stuff like......... so i wouldn't recommend cutting down your hours.

Rose.....
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 09:26:28 AM by Rose From OZ » Logged
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 10:36:40 AM »

I agree with Rose - the more the better.  Even cutting back 1 mins can make a difference to your labs.  Studies show long and slow dialysis is the best.  That's why nocturnal is so good.

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
George Jung

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 11:06:14 AM »

I wasn't sure if the same results could be achieved with less time, but it seems the answer is NO.  Ty
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 01:03:07 PM »

Just found this at the
National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Clearinghouse http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/hemodialysis/

Tests to See How Well Your Dialysis Is Working

About once a month, your dialysis care team will test your blood by using one of two formulas—URR or Kt/V—to see whether your treatments are removing enough wastes. Both tests look at one specific waste product, called blood urea nitrogen (BUN), as an indicator for the overall level of waste products in your system. For more information about these measurements, see the NIDDK fact sheet Hemodialysis Dose and Adequacy. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/hemodialysisdose/

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 07:13:18 AM »

Can HD treatment times be adjusted?  I am not having more than 2.5 kilos taken off and my labs have been consistently on the mark.  What would cutting back to 3.5 or 3 hrs from currently doing 4 hours?

Time can be adjusted.  It all depends on lab work and size of kidney being used and dialysate flow rate, blood pump speed.  One can get away with having a good Kt/V and URR rate with less time.  However there is more to it than just good labs and Kt/V.

There is a side benefit to longer dialysis times in the removal of middle molecules and so forth that isnt shown in labwork.  It would be to the benefit for longer run times to aid in the removal of these other things that are not routinely tested that can lead to health affects in long term dialysis patients.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 07:16:00 AM by BigSky » Logged
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 07:25:45 AM »

See it's not just about fluid removal.. that's a side function.. but the more cycles of getting your blood through means it's cleaned more so more rubbish is taken out.. so yeah longer sessions are better alas...

And I'm doing 5 hours!!! And yes, it sucks! I'd love 4 hours :)

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 12:30:45 PM »

Ask if your center uses Kt/V or URR to measure your dialysis adequacy.  URR (Urea Reduction Ratio) is more common, I believe.  URR is checked by taking a blood sample both at the beginning and end of your dialysis session.  Do you ever see them fill a blood vial at the end of the run?  They use a formula to get a percent clearance.  It should be at least 65%.  If they have too many patients below that number, they get in trouble with Medicare.  If your URR is consistently high, your neph may start lowering your total run time.  My URR was 80% or higher thru the first few months, and my neph has begun to shorten my run time.  He takes it down by 6 minute increments.  I currently run 3 hrs, 48 minutes.  (Don't ask me why six is the magic number- something to do with how the machines are set, I think.)  My URR is still at 80%, so he may drop it further, but I'm not sure I want him to do it.  I figure my day is already shot when I go, so gaining an extra 6 minutes won't help me get anything done, and I'd rather be as healthy as possible.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

George Jung

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 12:57:23 PM »

thanks jbeany, I will make some inquiries next time I go.  You have a good point about the day being shot, it is just the last half hour that I get really impatient sometimes.  I was thinking if I could go to 3.5 hrs, but now I don't really think it would be worth it even if I could.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »