I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 03:20:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  My arm is swollen
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My arm is swollen  (Read 3684 times)
BigDadii

« on: September 18, 2016, 08:57:09 PM »

My right arm holds my fistula. I have had it for 11 years and it still works, but my right arm is bigger than my left. It has been swollen over three year now. I have had three fistulagram to no avail. Is there anyone else out there that is suffering from the same problem or have had this problem fixed. I am due for another fistulagram at the end of this month. Even the Dr. told me once he doesn't want to work on this anymore. Anybody have any words of wisdom

I can do anything through Christ Jesus
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 11:39:09 PM »

Hi BD yeah my fistula arm is about twice the size of my 'normal' arm. It's because there's a narrowing somewhere (probably difficult /imposs to balloon).
Mine is still working too after 18 years. You have collateral veins (side branches of fistula) too?

Love, luck and strength, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
BigDadii

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 11:44:18 PM »

:shy; Well I'm going back to the surgeon to have another fistulagram on Thurs. Hopefully this time , just maybe, it will work. I hope I don't have another allergic reaction to the dye.

cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 01:10:00 AM »

Hi BD make sure you remind them of your allergic reaction before you go in, they can use different dyes.
I'm having a plasti on Thursday too. And it IS going to work! It MUST work, and we are going to be POSITIVE.

:angel;

Good luck, love and strength, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 06:53:34 AM »

I don't know about arms, but for my heart and legs, when the Dr's do those dye scans instead of using dyes that can hurt what little is left of my kidneys, they use co2.   I was initially frightened at the thought of them filling my veins with gas but they tell me it ain't no thing.   co2 is readily absorbed and simply blown off breathing.  It is dispelled through the lungs normally with every breath.

WOW!     Someone had a great idea!

It isn't always used for every procedure, some they do have to resort to dyes, but they do have a selection of dyes, different types and different strengths.

I wasn't aware that some could have an allergy to the dye so it is imperative that you remind them of any allergy, just to be sure.
SutureSelf

Hey there!

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 07:22:23 AM »

Well I'm going back to the surgeon to have another fistulagram on Thurs. Hopefully this time , just maybe, it will work. I hope I don't have another allergic reaction to the dye.

I've been allergic to certain contrast dyes (I break out in hives and horrible itching) since a kid, but don't know which one(s).  I always tell the MD/Nurses that before any procedure is done that calls for a dye.  As a precaution, I'm given IV prednisone and benedryl before being wheeled into the procedure room.  I have never experienced a bad reaction.

I started in center hemodialysis as a 22 y.o. in 1978.  Cadaver transplant in 1990 and then back to in center hemodialysis in 2004 (nocturnal shift since 2011) after losing my transplant.  Former Associate  Director/Communications Director of the NKF of Georgia, President of the Atlanta Area AAKP Chapter, and consumer representative to ESRD Network 6.  Self-employed since 1993.

Dialysis prescription:
Sun-Tue-Thur - 6 hours per treatment
Dialysate flow (Qd) - 600 
Blood pump speed(Qb) - 315
Fresenius Optiflux200 NR filter - NO REUSE
Fresenius 2008 K2 dialysis machine
3.0 calcium/2.0 potassium bath
BigDadii

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 08:21:06 PM »

Hey y'all I had the procedure. Told them about my allergy and they gave me prednisone which shot my sugar levels up sky high and I still had a reaction just like last time. So they kept me over night for observation. then I waited all day to be dialyzed. The arm looks a little smaller. Thanks for all the advice
Love y'all

Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 07:24:58 AM »

I'm glad you're seeing improvement.  I saw some nasty things when I did hemo for two years.  I do CUST now, it's easier on the body.  Most of the hemo patients at my center are new.  It makes me wonder what happened to all the oldies?

sp mod Cas
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 12:21:23 PM by cassandra » Logged
Lis

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 09:53:54 PM »

I'm glad you're seeing improvement.  I saw some nasty things when I did hemo for two years.  I do CUST now, it's easier on the body.  Most of the hemo patients at my center are new.  It makes me wonder what happened to all the oldies?

Hi. Just curious. What is CUST? 

sp mod Cas
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 12:21:56 PM by cassandra » Logged

Lis
Diagnosed with PKD 2013
Stage 5 ESRD, GFR of 7
Fistula created July 2015
Angioplasty on fistula Jan 2016
Transposition on fistula April 2016
Started training for home hemodialysis July 2016
Started home hemodialysis August 2016
Had five donors try but didn't pass