I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 02:08:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Other Severe Medical Conditions
| | |-+  Transient Ischemic Attack (Mini-stroke)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Transient Ischemic Attack (Mini-stroke)  (Read 4295 times)
Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« on: April 18, 2007, 08:47:34 AM »

Hey,

I wanted to know wheather anyone has ever experience with or suffered from TIA's? My father who has has a transplant for 26 years has suffered with this on numerous occasions over the last 6 years. When he has TIA'S he has Loss of vision in 1 eye  or two eyes, Clumsiness or weakness on 1 side of the body , Problems with his speech , Vertigo - A sensation of spinning , Inability to walk and Loss of consciousness or temporary amnesia. The doctors don't seem to have any answers for him other then prescribing him aspirin to take on a regular basis.

My father has done so much for my family, and others and i want to make sure he stays as "healthy" as possible, and we can come to a solutions to this problem before it gets worse. other then that my father is in good health, his kidneys are working great (touch wood). My father helps me with every aspect of my life and now its my turn to look after him.

I would love to hear any advice or information anyone could give me.

Amanda xxoo  :grouphug;
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 09:00:23 AM »

Cant help you, other than to keep you and your Dad in prayer. Hope you find the information you need.  :grouphug;

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
Don

Life is journey, enjoy the ride

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 01:24:13 PM »

Amanda,

I had 5 of those - 3 put me in the hospital. Just as you described is what happens. Mine all were on the left side. One day before I would get one I had a migrane - next day TIA. Felt like my fingers fell asleep then it went up my arm and across my back - face drooped - lost ability to speak and stand. I could hear OK but what I was saying sure wasn't what I wanted to say - really frustrating. They did MRI - Scaned everything - Found nothing . They put me on 75 mg of Plavix - no problem since - thank God.

Now the thing that brought on the migranes - I was in the center from hell - they were taking way too much fluid off - I complained and it did no good. So I changed centers and Doc's.  Which was the cure? I lost 52 lbs too in this process.
Good luck -

Don

NxStage / Pureflow since 11/06
FF35
Fistula 3/07/07, 11/06 (still not working)
Cardio Amyloidosis (already ate my kidneys)
Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 06:11:48 PM »

Thanks jp, and don.

I will tell him about the plavix.. it might be a bit better then asprin.

I hope everything continue to go well for you don.

Thank you.  :cuddle;

Amanda
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 06:46:45 PM »

Amanda, my friend gets these (she is on dialysis as well)  She said the doctor explained it like this, Your brain is full of little lights and when one of those little lights goes out, that is when you experience the TIA.  She gets some of the symptoms mentioned here but other than that, that is all i know of them. Good luck to your dad, he's lucky to have a daughter that cares and loves him like you do  :cuddle;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »