I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 09:49:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  I met up with someone with diabetes AND 7-8 percent renal function ...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I met up with someone with diabetes AND 7-8 percent renal function ...  (Read 2676 times)
jmintuck

« on: September 29, 2016, 10:18:51 PM »

I went to the hospital's ambulatory clinic for my fistula checkup and spoke to someone in the waiiting room. They somehow managed their kidney failure with 30-something PILLS and no dialysis. They lost the original catheter through having it clot. And, they somehow couldn't get a fistula for some reason. I don't know how long they might have to live. Never asked that. Would be interesting to know more about this scenario. And yes, for the record, she IS on a Renal AND Diabetic diet.

If I can do home dialysis, yes, but if I POSSIBLY can be managed with pills, I would sooner take 2-3 minutes to swallow a handful of pills over dialysis ANY DAY. This is providing that it wouldn't shorten my life much. In that case, I would certainly go to doctors as told and maintain it all as much as possible.  I have a 7-8 % renal function. IDK how possible this could be.

I couldn't believe her relative freedom, save for a fat handful of pills. If I can get a reprieve like that, I would have a small champagne in celebration for a "Stay of Execution" from the doctor. If dialysis can wait and I can regularly go to doctors over this, I would be way too happy for the "stay of Execution".
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 10:24:47 PM by jmintuck » Logged
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 02:05:24 PM »

Hello jmintuck,
My very first question to this person would be "how much kidney-function is there left?"
... Speaking for myself, I was in kidney failure for over 43 years before I needed to start with my dialysis-treatment...
... And ...  apart from some anti-hypertension-medicines I did not need any further medication during all those years ...
But: I have never ever heard of any medication that could possibly stop kidney failure from further deterioration
and I am sure such a medication would exist, the name of this medication would be shouted from all sort of rooftops on a global basis...
Best wishes from Kristina. :grouphug;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
jmintuck

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 04:35:45 AM »

I ASKED how much kidney function was left. I certainly DID ask and I remember that distinctly. I have N idea how it was managed with medication. I asked all that I could think of at the time. Somehow the renal function was way low, like 6-8%, similar to my 5-6 percent.

Somehow I don't know what meds were used for it, but she was worse off than me, seemingly healthwise. I was floored beyond belief when she told me all this. Any Stay of Execution would be nice to get if It is possible. I am so far on Execution Block, I don't care about it, but if I can have the "sentence commuted to life instead of execution", I will! The (Judge) has to tell me why this is and help me figure out whether I will be executed or sent for "life" pills. Trying to explain this to the (Judge) doctor is going to be a big day.

I could choke down 30 or so pills any day over the longer 3 and 1/2 hours at dialysis on the "Execution" schedule. The execution is not as bad as trying to operate the action in the cell. Better in Execution Chamber than the cells. I found to do it in the cells is the biggest hassle and expense of all time.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 09:38:47 AM »

With ESRD Dialysis is an eventual requirement to sustain life.  No IF's, ANDs, or BUT's about it.  It is simply a matter of time before you become sick enough to throw in the towel and get connected.

Procrastination, denial, whatever reasonable argument you can make, the time is very near.   It can be very difficult to make that realization, come to acceptance and begin to take the steps necessary to prepare, and schedule the surgery to prepare a connection, either for hemo or PD, that you will soon need to begin treatment.

What you do need to do is research both Hemo and PD, learn how they work, and how either can be fit into your lifestyle as you will have to alter your routine to make adjustment for treatment.  Knowing more will help you to make a better informed decision as to treatment type.

We cannot always change what is happening but we can make some changes to make it far less troublesome when it does happen.

It would be wonderful if there was some magic combination of medications that would halt the progression of renal failure.  There would be thousands of us lined up with our hands out waiting to receive this.  But I seriously doubt this is going to happen anywhere in the foreseeable future.  Until then we do not have much of a choice.  This is one of those 'Do or Die' things that most every one of us makes the simple choice, to 'Do' in order to avoid the alternate for as long as possible.

Get in, get started, and be surprised when it cleans up your system enough that you actually feel better.  Then you will begin to wonder why you waited so long.   Fear is your greatest enemy.
jmintuck

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 01:18:27 PM »

I have actually DONE for a long time in this one year timeframe. The fistula is in. I am thinking on and off about PD and heard further reassurances about it. I just might later look into that more one day. I will still check out the medication, first, before I resort to much else.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 01:24:02 PM »

You can't judge the start of dialysis by lab numbers.  Two years after my doctor told me it was time to start I finally started.  Why cause I felt good, until I got a sign from god I wasn't going to start.  I finally got my sign it was in the form of a symptom and I started.  I have seen people go much lower then me before they felt bad enough to start and I have seen people start with a higher level of function.  Everyone is different and it all depends on how you feel.  If you feel good keep going if you start showing symptoms time to start.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »