I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 07:34:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Other Severe Medical Conditions
| | |-+  Osteoarthritis
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Osteoarthritis  (Read 2756 times)
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« on: March 26, 2007, 06:31:54 PM »

Which doctor would I need to see for Osteo-Arthritis? A Orthopedic doctor? Or a Rheumotologist?

My ankles are fused, which means technically I'm not supposed to be able to bend them, they are fused by 2 screws in each ankle. However, I can bend them to a certain degree, not all the way like a regular ankle. (It doesn't stop me from running or walking normally though), but I have osteo-arthritis in each ankle which is VERY painful, and when I put ace bandages around them or wear tennis shoes, the support helps with the pain, so I was going to find out if I could get some special thin braces for wearing all the time for the pain.. since they say nothing can be done for the osteo-arthritis, and I don't wanna be taking pain meds everyday.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 06:34:16 PM »

Just a guess Rhumatologist.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 06:51:11 PM »

They both treat osteoarthritis - but the rheumotologist is going to specialize in treating the arthritis, dealing with bloodwork and prescribing any available medicine to treat the problem at the source, while the orthopedist is more likely to work with the bone problems associated with it.  If you're looking for braces or some support for when you are walking, I think the ortho is more likely to have the solution you need.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 02:44:22 PM by jbeany » Logged

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 08:04:57 AM »

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »