I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 03:41:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Nausea immediately after eating
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nausea immediately after eating  (Read 5417 times)
jo

« on: March 24, 2016, 09:53:14 PM »

My mom has been doing hemodialysis for the past 2 years. Lately, she feels nauseated right after eating, and feels feverish inside the body but the temperature is normal. The doctors are not sure what is causing it. Does anyone know what could be wrong? We are very worried. Any thoughts?
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 11:26:48 PM »

Hi Jo I'm so sorry all this is happening. Did 'they' do a gastroscopy (looking in the stomach with camera) already? The amount of painkillers and antibiotics could have caused damage to her stomach. Is she eating solids? If so I would change to soups and purees (sp) custard etc.
Have you got her WBC (white bloodcell count) if above 10  she has an infection somewhere. Is her sugar any better?

Good luck and love, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
jo

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 11:32:20 PM »

Hi Jo I'm so sorry all this is happening. Did 'they' do a gastroscopy (looking in the stomach with camera) already? The amount of painkillers and antibiotics could have caused damage to her stomach. Is she eating solids? If so I would change to soups and purees (sp) custard etc.
Have you got her WBC (white bloodcell count) if above 10  she has an infection somewhere. Is her sugar any better?

Good luck and love, Cas
No, they didn't do a gastroscopy. She has been eating solid foods. I think we should request the doc to do a blood count. Her blood sugar fluctuates throughout the day which averages about 200. Thanks for your suggestions.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 03:56:19 AM »

ANY spices?   Even pepper can cause problems with a sensitive stomach.

It may be possible Mother is developing a stomach ulser. (Spelling?)  Talk with her Dr to see if this is possible and can be tested.

Google each of her meds and reactions looking to see if upset stomach may be a possible side-effect.  If you find a likely candidate med, depending on what it is and what it is for, contact her Dr and ask if it can be discontinued for a week safely to test and see if she improves without it.   I would not stop a med without knowing and getting approval of Dr as I would hate to cause her harm without taking a med.

I hope this is figured out soon.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 04:20:18 AM »

Hello Jo,
Please tell us: what is your mother actually eating? What does her diet consist of ?
... If I were in her position I would try and figure out whether or not there is something disagreeable about her food/diet (as Charlie has pointed out: spices... pepper etc) ?
or ...  could it be that she has developed a sudden allergy to a certain food?
... We must not forget that dialysis is a life-saving-treatment to a sensitive and often vulnerable body ... and often dialysis is being treated as "just a treatment",
 but we must not forget how life-saving the process is to a vulnerable and often very sensitive body and some food we might have enjoyed years ago might - with dialysis-treatment - not be applicable any longer ...
Good luck wishes from Kristina. :grouphug;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
jo

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 09:19:47 AM »

Hello Jo,
Please tell us: what is your mother actually eating? What does her diet consist of ?
... If I were in her position I would try and figure out whether or not there is something disagreeable about her food/diet (as Charlie has pointed out: spices... pepper etc) ?
... We must not forget that dialysis is a life-saving-treatment to a sensitive and often vulnerable body ... and often dialysis is being treated as "just a treatment",
 but we must not forget how life-saving the process is to a vulnerable and often very sensitive body and some food we might have enjoyed years ago might - with dialysis-treatment - not be applicable any longer ...
Her diet is the same as when she started dialysis. But, it is Indian diet-mostly rice, curry, chicken, vegetables (with low potassium and sodium). We try to limit the spices and salt while cooking. Since we add some spices, could that be causing a problem?
jo

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 09:51:39 AM »

ANY spices?   Even pepper can cause problems with a sensitive stomach.

It may be possible Mother is developing a stomach ulser. (Spelling?)  Talk with her Dr to see if this is possible and can be tested.

Google each of her meds and reactions looking to see if upset stomach may be a possible side-effect.  If you find a likely candidate med, depending on what it is and what it is for, contact her Dr and ask if it can be discontinued for a week safely to test and see if she improves without it.   I would not stop a med without knowing and getting approval of Dr as I would hate to cause her harm without taking a med.

I hope this is figured out soon.
I will check everything you suggested. Thanks.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 12:59:58 PM »

In your post #5 I somehow missed Curry.    How much?
jo

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 06:46:07 PM »

In your post #5 I somehow missed Curry.    How much?
Not much. Just the usual amount she has been taking since she started dialysis. I would say about 1/4 of a cup.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 07:17:42 PM »

I Googled 'Side effects of curry'

The very first article reports;
 Because of the turmeric in curry, however, some people may experience stomach upset, nausea, dizziness or diarrhea. The National Institutes of Health reports turmeric may intensify stomach problems such as gastroesophageal reflux disease and advises you avoid turmeric if you experience symptoms of GERD.
 http://www.livestrong.com/article/547524-side-effects-and-benefits-of-curry-powder/

The third article will not let me copy parts of it.
https://www.ayurtimes.com/curry-powder-ingredients-health-benefits-side-effects/
The article lists the spices that make up 'curry'.  Then goes on to spell out both the benefits, and possible side effects of eating curried dishes.

I would suggest eliminating the curry, at least for a few days to see if there is any noticeable improvement.  If so, then limt the amount added to your dishes, start very small and see if that amount is tolerated well.
jo

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 07:48:58 PM »

I Googled 'Side effects of curry'

The very first article reports;
 Because of the turmeric in curry, however, some people may experience stomach upset, nausea, dizziness or diarrhea. The National Institutes of Health reports turmeric may intensify stomach problems such as gastroesophageal reflux disease and advises you avoid turmeric if you experience symptoms of GERD.
 http://www.livestrong.com/article/547524-side-effects-and-benefits-of-curry-powder/

The third article will not let me copy parts of it.
https://www.ayurtimes.com/curry-powder-ingredients-health-benefits-side-effects/
The article lists the spices that make up 'curry'.  Then goes on to spell out both the benefits, and possible side effects of eating curried dishes.

I would suggest eliminating the curry, at least for a few days to see if there is any noticeable improvement.  If so, then limt the amount added to your dishes, start very small and see if that amount is tolerated well.
Good to know. We will try that. Thanks for finding me all the information.
Fabkiwi06

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 02:50:01 AM »

I'm on a higher dose of phosphate binders right now, and I've noticed when I take them and eat food I know is lower in phosphate, I get a bit of nausea.

surprise kidney failure - oct. 2015
emergency hemo - oct. 2015
switched to pd - dec. 2015
transplant list - apr. 2016
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 06:22:41 AM »

Hello Jo,
Her diet is the same as when she started dialysis. But, it is Indian diet-mostly rice, curry, chicken, vegetables (with low potassium and sodium). We try to limit the spices and salt while cooking. Since we add some spices, could that be causing a problem?

Hello jo,
Please check-up it all up with the doctors/nurses at your mother's center... because ... I remember being told by dialysis-medics that -  as a dialysis-patient - I should avoid harsh spices at all times because harsh spices can unnecessarily aggravate the body which often has become a little weakened through dialysis-treatment ...   :grouphug;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
jo

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2016, 10:21:49 AM »

Thanks for all of your responses.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »