I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 07:19:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Total Insanity 2 - Bitters, an often overlooked health modality
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Total Insanity 2 - Bitters, an often overlooked health modality  (Read 2619 times)
talker

Talkers oil painting

« on: March 04, 2016, 09:23:34 AM »

Generally I first post info like this on my blog.  Is currently a draft there that will eventually have more data then posted here. Only recently have I reluctantly expanded talking and posting on herbs that I use. Once in a great while I will use certain herbs selectively as a bitter. Mostly though, I use these bitters in what is called 'Whole Body Tonic'. My use of the Tonic like herbs goes back many decades.
Bitters, as they are called, is an often overlooked modality. Many of the 'bitter' herbs are part of my 'Whole Body Tonic'.
So why use this type of herbal tonic?
The overall action of this blend (Whole Body Tonic) results in every gland, nerve, muscle, vein, artery, organ and bone getting fed the vital nutrients for rejuvenation and regeneration to take place. Can I prove it? Nah! Don't even care if anyone else believes in the use of herbs. What I do know, is how they've kept me going for these many years of experiencing Life. Of course there are many other factors besides using herbs, that are involved. In that this is a comment post, not a book, am keeping it toned down , info and size wise.

-----------------------------------
Known as "bitters," certain herbs can affect physiological reactions within the body, working as an astringent, a tonic, a relaxer, a stomachic, and an internal cleanser. In particular, bitter herbs have been used to improve digestion and counter inflammation.

Angelica (Angelica archangelica) to remedy colds and ailments such as rheumatism. Its properties make it a stimulant, stomachic, and tonic. For liquors, it's been used to flavor gin.

Chamomile's (Matricaria chamomilla) curative properties include relief of both fever and restlessness. This mild bitter herb is used as a sedative and antispasmodic.

Dandelion (Taraxacum) is a mild bitter herb used as a blood cleanser and diuretic, which is also said to lower cholesterol and blood pressure. It is still used in traditional cooking in the Mediterranean and parts of Asia.

Goldenseal (Hydrastis Canadensis) is a strong bitter herb used to stimulate the appetite and eliminate infections. Goldenseal,"The root of the plant is a very powerful bitter."

Horehound (Marrubium vulgare) It has been used as a treatment for colds and respiratory ailments (such as in cough syrup and throat lozenges).

Milk Thistle (Silybum marianum), which is also known as "sow-thistle," is also used for healing. It's known as a powerful liver detoxifier.

Peppermint (Mentha piperita) is a flavor, a fragrance, and medicine.  Peppermint oil may allay nausea and stomach aches, and peppermint has been called "the world's oldest medicine."

Rue (Ruta) is a strong bitter herb used as an antispasmodic, a sedative, and a mild stomachic.

Wormwood (Artemisia absinthium) is a perennial plant used as an antiseptic, tonic, diuretic and stomachic. The herb's strong bitter taste is still used in wines and spirits such as vermouth.

Yarrow (Achilles millefolium) is a flowering plant that produces a mild bitter herb used as an astringent and cold remedy. The entire herb can be used.
-------------------------------------
http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=33041.msg502081#msg502081

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=31694.msg502172#msg502172

http://www.thetalker.org/archives/1515/talker-on-more-herbal-mix-tonic/

http://www.thetalker.org/archives/307/38-talker-on-whole-body-herb-tonic/
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 09:26:37 AM by talker » Logged

Be Well

"Wabi-sabi nurtures the authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."

Don't ever give up hope, expect a miracle, pray as if you were going to die the next moment in time, but live life as if you were going to live forever."

A wise man once said, "Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present."
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 01:26:43 PM »

Many thanks talker for this interesting input, it is very much appreciated.
I have experiences with Chamomile (Matricaria chamomilla) especially during my sometimes distressing pre-dialysis-days and it worked wonderfully as a mild tea and had a very calming effect ... Peppermint-tea has been my favourite for many years, every day one cup with a little sugar, very refreshing and very kidney-friendly ...  Dandelion is a little too exciting for my poor kidney function and Wormwood could be dangerous for me to try because of "my" SLE/MCTD and could cause me flare-ups ... Some herbs should be treated with great care and their strenghts should not be underestimated...  :grouphug;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
talker

Talkers oil painting

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 03:27:18 PM »

Many thanks talker for this interesting input, it is very much appreciated.
I have experiences with Chamomile (Matricaria chamomilla) especially during my sometimes distressing pre-dialysis-days and it worked wonderfully as a mild tea and had a very calming effect ... Peppermint-tea has been my favourite for many years, every day one cup with a little sugar, very refreshing and very kidney-friendly ...  Dandelion is a little too exciting for my poor kidney function and Wormwood could be dangerous for me to try because of "my" SLE/MCTD and could cause me flare-ups ... Some herbs should be treated with great care and their strengths should not be underestimated...   :grouphug;

Hello Kristina,
Your welcome, and would like to modify one of your comments a bit:
 All herbs should be treated with great care /respect and their strengths should not be underestimated..
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 03:37:32 PM by talker » Logged

Be Well

"Wabi-sabi nurtures the authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."

Don't ever give up hope, expect a miracle, pray as if you were going to die the next moment in time, but live life as if you were going to live forever."

A wise man once said, "Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present."
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 01:43:00 PM »

I understand what you are saying.  Because we each are individual does not necessarily mean that what may be perfectly safe for one person, could actually be dangerous for another

As Kristina has pointed out, a couple of herbs are detrimental to her.  But for someone else that same herb may be fine.

ALL herbs should be introduced with caution, and in low dose, until proven safe to that individual. Only after proven safe for that individual  may the dosage be slowly increased while watching for effect.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 01:50:37 PM »

These are also reasons why I do not pick mushrooms.  While there are a number of well illustrated books on the subject, I am human and prone to error.

Some mushrooms are terribly toxic yet look very much like others that are fine.  Because I am not very well trained in the differences I rather not subject my self, much less family, to a possibly deadly mushroom.

I have to admit, what would be the effect on those of use already on dialysis?  I mean, if the mushroom kills byway of the toxins killing our kidneys, and ours are already gone, thus we survive by Dialysis.  Would eating those otherwise dangerous mushrooms still pose a danger to us?   This is purely an academic question for I have and will never have any plan to go picking.
Fabkiwi06

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 09:56:46 PM »

Very interesting. I grew up with a hippy mom so using herbs as medicine is preferable to me. It's been a source of heated discussion between me and my nurses lately with cold and flu season. I'm glad to see I'm not alone in incorporating them in to my routine.

surprise kidney failure - oct. 2015
emergency hemo - oct. 2015
switched to pd - dec. 2015
transplant list - apr. 2016
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »