I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 05:27:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  What type of questions are asked during SSDI hearing?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What type of questions are asked during SSDI hearing?  (Read 2487 times)
hatedialysis2

« on: February 08, 2016, 03:31:47 PM »

Applying for SSDI for a period before starting dialysis.   I was denied 2 times and finally applied for a hearing and it's coming up.  What type of questions does the judge ask? And other than documentation of several years of labs reflecting stage 4 during the period of date last insured and before, how else can I prove that I was too sick to maintain any normal work schedule? 
Lis

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 09:49:01 PM »

Hi there. I was approved for SSDI even though I hadn't started dialysis yet. I applied last May and was approved in October, took six months. I talked to a rep  from SSDI on the phone twice.  The second time, she kind of whined to me that "it would be a slam dunk if you were already on dialysis."  I provided really good documentation, including labs and diagnosis.  I had my fistula put in in July, maybe that helped. The thing is, we have to prove we are not capable of doing our job anymore, or any job, for that matter.  My job was a desk job, so it wasn't physically strenuous. The forms they sent me all had to do with how much I could lift, stuff like that. But my job was mentally strenuous and stressful. I was a paralegal for 35 years. I was required to turn out perfect written product under pressure and I just couldn't do it anymore. You must stress all your symptoms that get in the way of you doing your job, like inability to concentrate, restless leg syndrome at work while sitting, dangerously high blood pressure, debilitating fatigue, nausea, kidney pain, etc.  You need to make sure to communicate all your symptoms that get in the way of doing your job -  mentally, physically and psychologically. Also, I think your creatine level has to be high enough to meet some guideline of theirs, not sure exactly.  I was told it's really hard to get approved prior to starting dialysis but I was approved, much to my surprise. I am so grateful. But then, I did pay into the system for forty years.   Good luck!

Lis
Diagnosed with PKD 2013
Stage 5 ESRD, GFR of 7
Fistula created July 2015
Angioplasty on fistula Jan 2016
Transposition on fistula April 2016
Started training for home hemodialysis July 2016
Started home hemodialysis August 2016
Had five donors try but didn't pass
On waiting list at UCSF
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 12:25:18 PM »

One of the people I met at dialysis was turned down even though he has on dialysis when he applied, was out of work for over 6 months.  He had to hire a lawyer to get on disability. When I heard his story I figured to save time and apply online so I could be turned quicker, much to my shock I received notice I was approved.  Since then I have met several more people who were turned down and had to go to a lawyer.  This puzzled me for a while and I believe the reason is during the interview. The applicants tried to seem tougher and down played the effects of dialysis, I find I do that when people ask what it's like.  Strangely I think applying online and letting your medical records speak for them selves may be a better approach then applying in person.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 09:09:16 AM by Michael Murphy » Logged
hatedialysis2

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 01:05:02 PM »

Thank You Lis and MM for sharing your experience and offering great suggestions!!
 Because I stopped working for a couple of years prior to dialysis,  I have to prove that I was indeed exhausted, had joint and back aches, mental fog, anxiety, lack of focus/concentration  severe enough to prevent me from holding any job prior to dialysis.  I do have plenty of medical records supporting my claim (labs, scans, biopsy).  My labs show very high proteinuria. high creatinine, hi BUN, HG in the 9-10 range, but that  seems to not be enough for SS.      I am in NY, God forbid they make it easy for anyone here.   I did wind up hiring an attorney.
Lis

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 04:37:45 PM »

Yes, I too applied online.

Lis
Diagnosed with PKD 2013
Stage 5 ESRD, GFR of 7
Fistula created July 2015
Angioplasty on fistula Jan 2016
Transposition on fistula April 2016
Started training for home hemodialysis July 2016
Started home hemodialysis August 2016
Had five donors try but didn't pass