I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 11:27:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  My Dialysis Center Makes the Morning News! (LOL)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Dialysis Center Makes the Morning News! (LOL)  (Read 4334 times)
PatDowns

Celebrating 60th B'Day. 12/26/15

« on: January 21, 2016, 06:15:47 AM »

SUV crashes into Emory Dialysis Center

Thursday, Jan. 21, 2016 | Filed in: Local News

John SpinkJohn Spink and Lauren Foreman
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

"A driver crashed into an Emory dialysis center Thursday morning in downtown Atlanta when he accidentally pressed the accelerator instead of the brake, Atlanta police said.

The driver was reportedly driving a Ford Expedition when he hit the wrong pedal and crashed into the Emory Dialysis Center at Northside, located at 610 Northside Dr. in Atlanta. The driver was transported to the hospital, but there were no injuries reported, Atlanta police Officer Kim Jones said.

Ezekiel Adekoya, a technician at Emory Dialysis, said he was helping other workers set up dialysis machines when he suddenly heard a loud bang.

Adekoya said he soon realized one of the patients rammed the building with his car, damaging the water lines.

He said the damage will impact about 38 morning patients, but none were there yet when the accident happened."

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/crime-law/suv-crashes-into-emory-dialysis-center/np8rn/

Received a call from the clinic at 7:30 am letting me know that due to the damage to the water system, all shifts would be pushed back 3 hours.  Our nocturnal shift wouldn't be starting until 9 pm.  I said thanks for the notice, but why call so early in the morning for the night shift?  As usual, no coherent response.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 06:16:59 AM by PatDowns » Logged

Frank Moiger aka (previously) NoahVale and now PatDowns, the name originally chosen by a good dialysis mate who died in 12/2013.  I started in center hemodialysis as a 22 y.o. in 1978.  Cadaver transplant in 1990 and then back to in center hemodialysis in 2004 (nocturnal shift since 2011) after losing my transplant.  Former Associate  Director/Communications Director of the NKF of Georgia, President of the Atlanta Area AAKP Chapter, and consumer representative to ESRD Network 6.  Self-employed since 1993.

Dialysis prescription:
Sun-Tue-Thur - 6 hours per treatment
Dialysate flow (Qd) - 600 
Blood pump speed(Qb) - 315
Fresenius Optiflux200 NR filter - NO REUSE
Fresenius 2008 K2 dialysis machine
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 06:30:33 AM »

Adekoya said he soon realized one of the patients rammed the building with his car, damaging the water lines.

I worry when I see some elderly patients leaving the center in their own cars... Doesn't surprise me, that's the type of thing that happens as people grow old, and add dialysis on top and I'm sure people are even more confused.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
PatDowns

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 06:43:25 AM »

I worry when I see some elderly patients leaving the center in their own cars... Doesn't surprise me, that's the type of thing that happens as people grow old, and add dialysis on top and I'm sure people are even more confused.

And you are making a huge assumption that this was an older patient.  He isn't, unless you consider 50 as "old!"  Plus, it happened in the morning, before treatment. 

Frank Moiger aka (previously) NoahVale and now PatDowns, the name originally chosen by a good dialysis mate who died in 12/2013.  I started in center hemodialysis as a 22 y.o. in 1978.  Cadaver transplant in 1990 and then back to in center hemodialysis in 2004 (nocturnal shift since 2011) after losing my transplant.  Former Associate  Director/Communications Director of the NKF of Georgia, President of the Atlanta Area AAKP Chapter, and consumer representative to ESRD Network 6.  Self-employed since 1993.

Dialysis prescription:
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 07:36:45 AM »

Yup, I'm afraid that me also 'accidentally hit the wrong pedal' while being young  :P , on my way to D . My excuse was wrong shoes and barrier-support being in the wrong plase.

Take care, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 08:11:11 AM »

I guess I associate that type of thing as age related because an elderly neighbor did something similar and ran into our stoop from her parking spot about 15 feet away...

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
cassandra
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 08:17:47 AM »

:rofl;       I forgive you

1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
2020 start Gambro AK96

Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 08:21:53 AM »

Not enough information given to determine if this patient was coming or going.    The Clinic does have a nocturnal shift.   

I couldn't even begin to count the number of accidents people have had hitting the gas instead of the brake, or in 'D' instead of 'R', or the reverse.

Brain fade can occur at ANY age.  Inattention?  Texting?  Oh, look at the birdie!   Whatever.

38 patients in the Clinic,  THAT is the impressive part to me!

The 3 hour delay is going to irritate many patients as well as further stress staff, they will be playing catchup all day!  And that ain't easy.

I wish them all well, patients and staff alike, and hopefully by tomorrow all will be as normal as can be.

Take Care,

Charlie B53
PatDowns

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 08:54:58 AM »

Not enough information given to determine if this patient was coming or going.    The Clinic does have a nocturnal shift.   

I couldn't even begin to count the number of accidents people have had hitting the gas instead of the brake, or in 'D' instead of 'R', or the reverse.

Brain fade can occur at ANY age.  Inattention?  Texting?  Oh, look at the birdie!   Whatever.

38 patients in the Clinic,  THAT is the impressive part to me!

The 3 hour delay is going to irritate many patients as well as further stress staff, they will be playing catchup all day!  And that ain't easy.

I wish them all well, patients and staff alike, and hopefully by tomorrow all will be as normal as can be.

Take Care,

Charlie B53

If you read the link which I included, it provides the following info:

CAPTION TO THE PHOTO - "A truck crashed into the Emory Dialysis Center at Northside on Thurs., Jan. 21, 2016. JOHN SPINK/ JSPINK@AJC.COM"

PART OF HEADER - " 8:00 a.m. Thursday, Jan. 21, 2016 | Filed in: Local News"

PLUS, I stated the clinic called me at 7:30 am to LMK the shifts would be running late until the water system was fixed.

Yes, my inner city clinic is pretty large with 36 stations and 2 isolation rooms.  It also has a very active Nxstage and PD training program.

ADDENDUM:  Center just called again.  Water problem was fixed quicker than originally anticipated.  My nocturnal shift will be starting on time tonight.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 08:56:18 AM by PatDowns » Logged

Dialysis prescription:
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 01:23:00 PM »

In my center we worry more about being ran over in the parking structure.  About 18 months ago a 6 foot 5 patient was run over by a dialysis patient.  The other Dialysis patient backed over the big guy.  Even I park at the center I always back in so on the bad days I don't hit people backing out.
Stu

Oooooooh yeah!

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 01:25:22 PM »

I remember watching in bewilderment this older gentleman (70+) jump on his little 50cc scooter after 5 hours of dialysis ripping 5Kg+ off. He would have been easily been 150Kg. He just enveloped that poor little bike as he rode off into the traffic! :)

47 Fluid Control Suggestions for Dialysis Patients
Haemo 3 x a week, Ico bags overnight
Joker, smoker, midnight toker....
Tweet me at @AngryDXGuy if you dare
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 01:36:30 PM »

Since I had some time here are some stats:
Accidents in which drivers mistakenly hit the gas instead of the brake tend to involve older female drivers in parking lots, a new government study has found. One of the study's most striking and consistent findings was that nearly two-thirds of drivers who had such accidents were female. When looking at all crashes, the reverse is true -- about 60 percent of drivers involved in crashes are male, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration study noted.
Another finding: Gas pedal accidents tend to occur more frequently among drivers over age 76 and under age 20.
http://www.nola.com/traffic/index.ssf/2012/04/women_responsible_for_most_mis.html

Or if you want it from the UK siting the same study:
Beware older women in parking lots: They cause two thirds of accidents where drivers hit the gas instead of the brake
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2129247/Beware-older-women-parking-lots-They-cause-thirds-crashes-drivers-hit-gas-instead-brake.html

EDITED: Changed red color to bold- kitkatz-Admin
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 10:38:25 PM by kitkatz » Logged

cassandra
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 02:41:56 PM »

I know already that I'm a minority

:banghead;

However, I'll keep saying it's the shoes, all over the world

:angel;

1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
2020 start Gambro AK96

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2016, 10:39:23 PM »

Well if they wanted drive thru dialysis, running into the building would be one way to get it.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2016, 06:14:09 AM »

Drive in dialysis, they hook you up in your car, you control heat A/C radio, no neighbors. Sounds good to me.  My truck seat has to be more comfortable then those [Censored] dialysis recliners.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »