I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 01:35:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Peritonitis
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Peritonitis  (Read 3267 times)
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« on: March 15, 2016, 08:11:14 AM »

Guess where I am, again.   Well, that 'again' pretty much gives it away.   I was called by my PCP and told that a lab came back positive AFTER I had been released Saturday afternoon.  That I was to take my happy buttom to the VA Hospital and check in at the ER.  They were expecting me.

End result, I have another hose attached to my arm and I am upstairs in bed, waiting for the labs we drew last night.

Seems the sample of my PD fluid last Friday at the other hospital has come back positive for bacteria.  Peritonitis?  Possibly, but very unlikely, the fluid was perfectly clear, with a normal slightly yellowish tint.   I have had, and still do not have any other signs of infection.  White count normal, temp normal, no pain or tenderness other than my normal aches, pains and irratability with them trying to convince me that I am sick.   NOT!

So we are having a little disagreement.   I believe DEAD bacteria are still being sloughed off from the inner ear and somehow showing in my drain fluid.   Dr claims that not possible.   So I am trying to insis the lab grow a LIVE culture as I am sure they cannot.

Vt Big Rig

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 08:29:35 AM »

Crap, crap , and double crap.

I hope it clears up soon for you.

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started with NxStage - April 2015
6 Fistula grams in 5 months,  New upper fistula Oct 2015, But now old one working fine, until August 2016 and it stopped, tried an angio, still no good
Started on new fistula .
God Bless my wife and care partner for her help
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 09:28:44 AM »

Oh, that's awful news, Charlie.  I sure hope they're wrong and just being over-cautious. 

I'm new to PD (1/19/16) so I don't know much, but when I recently had an exit site infection they put the fear of god in me about what a bout of peritonitis involves (abx, possible removal of catheter, etc. Hemo).  It would be a shame to spoil your perfect record over 3 years, not to mention all the rest.  But it concerns me that they found bacteria as, I believe, the peritoneal sac is supposed to be a sterile environment, and noro  and entero virus are viruses and not bacteria.  So here's hoping it's a fluke.  Get well soon.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 10:45:10 AM »

Of course you are not sick darling, but the drip in your arm will hopefully sort out whatever it is you are not having.
Keep your butt happy, you'll be out of there before you know it.

Love, luck and strength,

:flower;

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 12:16:10 PM »

The Jury has delivered a verdict.  Infected.   What?    I can't be, I am NOT sick!

The whole cast, and crew, of Dr's came around late this morning trying to convince me that I AM infected.   They are telling me the previous hospital labs which came back AFTER I had been discharged, showed that I had about 20 odd staff bacterial cells per unit measure.   And the repeat sample from last night clearly showed 40 cels per unit measure.  Thus, I am clearly in the infantcy of infection, that they would print everything for me to take to my Dialysis Clinic for treatment.

Due to Medicare changes that went into effect Jan 1st, the Dialysis clinic treating is responsible for ALL renal related care, treatment, AND medication.  The VA Hospitlis only to document everything and I take that to D Clinic and review my prior training, get issued the adequate drugs, etc., and go home and start loading my exchange fluid bags for the next ten days.

Huh!

An hour later the Renal Fellows come by, and tell me different.  Cast and Crew have somehow reverse lab results.  The prior was 40, the current is only 20.  Renal suspects contamination of the samples, even though we were very careful during collections.

I am NOT infected.  I show NO signs of infection.  No fever, no pains, other than my normal broken joints, torn muscles and ligiments.

Renal does NOT consider a low count to be an infection unless a count nears and/or exceeds 100 cells per unit volume.

Renal say I will be discharged to go home with no treatment other than my 'normal' at home Dialysis routine.

So I am waiting for that 'Get out of Jail Card' to get done and in my hot little hands.

it has started to ease only got get a call from
I am NOT sick

When to my appt with ENT.  Nice Lady Dr.  Looked into both my ears and told me there is no evidence of any long term 'raging' infection.   You have got to be kidding!  This has been KILLING me for over 6 weeks now.   Thankfully She went on to explain the pain pattern I described perfectly fit those of an acutely inflamed mandibular joint, my jaw muscle.  Whic is located immediately next to my ear.
????
Who knew?   Not I.  I would swear it was all the ear as they happened at the same time.  Or at least it sure seemed so.

Treatment is anti-inflammatories, which renal patients are not allowed, oral, and/or injected steroids.   Soo it looks like it was right, I am NOT infected.  Or at least not enough to pose any threat to myself, or be contagious.   So once they circle their wagons, and otherwise get the stuff all in on bag.  I will be  discharged and head dome.

I feel soo much better now than I have felt in seems like way to long of a time.

Take Care,

Charlie B 53
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 12:21:57 PM »

Sorry you're going thru all that, Charlie. Sounds like what BobN would describe as a "Duster Duck" (read his latest). The fact that you are alert and up to arguing with these numb skulls is actually a good sign. Get home, get some rest and get your PD going again. And oh, one more thing....glad you're still with us! Take care!

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 12:41:12 PM »

I am doubly glad it is not peritonitis as that Davita Nurse really scared me when she told me only TWO STRIKES, two infections and I would end up on Hemo!

While I don't actually believe it, at least I don't WANT to believe it.  But I can't help but wonder if she meant the membrane may be damaged so badly by only two serious infections that it may soon lose the ability to transport, THEN Hemo would be necessary.

Either way, I do NOT like that idea, so you can be assured that I will be even MORE careful than I have been these past, almost three years.  Will be near the end of May, close enough.

I don't cut too many corners, or take unnecessary chances.

But I DID wear a mask this morning!  Which is uncommon for me.  Maybe not any longer.
BobN

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 01:07:45 PM »

Charlie, so sorry about the run around by those keystone kops.

Hang in there bro.

www.bobnortham.com
Author of The ABC's of the Big D: My Life on Dialysis
Bob's Prescription for Living With Dialysis:
Follow Your Recommended Diet and Especially Watch Your Potassium, Phosphorous, and Fluid.
Stay Active - Find a Form of Exercise You Like and DO IT!!
Laugh Every Chance You Get.
hatedialysis2

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 03:37:10 PM »

Best wishes fo a speedy recovery CB53!
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 07:09:58 PM »

Thanks all!

I'm HOME!!!!!   And soo much better.  Still a bit tired but that's normal for me.   I was really surprised at my energy level most of today.  I haven't felt that good in a very long time.   I'm hoping to wake up tomorrow at least that way again.  Even half would still be a major improvement.

Things were so good today I told one of the staff that I actually feel like putting the fuel tanks and battery back on my Harley.   And I haven't felt like that in years.

Take Care Everyone,

Charlie B53
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »