I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 05:21:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Need some tips on sponge bathing
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Need some tips on sponge bathing  (Read 3888 times)
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« on: December 02, 2015, 01:50:04 AM »

I started out to do PD and my catheter failed immediately.  While I wait for it to be fixed I am doing in-center hemo with a central neck catheter.  So now I have 2 areas of my body that I have to protect.  Can't bathe because of the PD cath and can't shower because of the CV cath.  I'm doing the best I can, but it's really hard.  I could really use some tips as to the best methods of keeping clean while being limited as I am.  I'm dirty and itchy and can't wash my hair without flooding the bathroom.  I'm a mess.  Help please!!!

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 04:31:21 AM »

Hi Kicking and screaming....

Sorry to hear of your troubles....

I cared for my mum for years, and we went through the whole PD/Haemo roller coaster...

I found the best solution was to use baby wipes!... They're gentle around those sensitive areas, clean really well, and don't leave you wet enough to feel cold...

Oh and those dry shampoos that you spray in, and comb out are really good, too...

I'd be prepared to bet that you think you look worse than you do... Mum always thought she smelled during those times I couldn't shower her... She didn't, but I think the loss of autonomy over her own body led to her overreacting... It's so hard to lose the ability to attend to those basic tasks...

I hope things improve for you very soon....

God bless...

Darth....

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 06:20:38 PM »

Darthvadar: I've read some of your old posts; you took excellent care of your mum, she definitely was in good hands and in good company. You're a pro!

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 04:00:40 AM »

Darthvadar: I've read some of your old posts; you took excellent care of your mum, she definitely was in good hands and in good company. You're a pro!

Aaaaw, thank you, PrimeTimer...

I really appreciate that!.. Still miss her terribly...

Thanks for taking the time to make me smile!...

God bless...

Darth....

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 07:38:01 AM »

Sink full of hot soapy water and a washcloth.

Though you CAN wrap your Cath(s) with 'Press and Seal' to keep the end and fitting dry, the exit site will still get wet.   I go ahead and take off the cover bandages and shower away.  I am careful scrubbing around the site first, thinking get that done before using the washcloth on any other portion of the body minimizes the possibility of transfer of anything onto the site.
Re-bandage the site soon as your done and dried.  Here again, pat dry the site before the towel touches any other part of my body.

I've tried other 'plastic' wraps, none work near as well as the 'Press-n-Seal'.

I've tried some large peel and stick water-proof dressing covers.  Didn't care for them much at all.   They made it difficult to clean well and I still had to clean that area after peeling it off to put on a new dressing.

Maybe I will talk with my Son about making a video, showing how I wrap/roll my Cath with the 'Press-n-Seal'.  It really isn't that difficult.  You just have to pay attention so to be sure that it seals  properly.

I don't doubt I could soak in a pool or hot tub and still not get my fittings wet.  That may not be a good idea because of the possibility of nasties in the water getting in at the wound site.  But the Cath itself would be fine.  Soap and city water at the site should be fine.  Check with your PD Nurse, see what she says.
casper2636

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 09:17:57 AM »

When I was reduced to taking sponge baths (not for long because I found the peel and wraps), I found a hair cutting place that would wash my hair for $10.00. It was a bit expensive, but it did give me that feeling of being thoroughly clean. I always felt so much better in spirits afterwards. Keep in mind that this is only temporary. Hang in there!
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 09:55:34 PM »

Another idea... Pump some anti-bacterial foaming hand soap onto a wet washcloth.   

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
ashleyasherman

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 12:58:03 AM »

I also had the PD catheter and the central neck catheter when I was switching from PD to in center hemo. By that time I was doing my own dressing changes on my PD catheter so I was allowed to get it wet to clean it. I would just fill the bathtub with a couple of inches of water and sit and bathe myself the best that I could. I would cover my central neck catheter with plastic wrap and tape it down with medical tape. That works well so that you don't accidentally splash it. For my hair, we have a removable shower head so I would just use that and tip my head over the bath tub. Most times I could wash my hair myself but my husband did help a few times. I hope that helps a little bit :) I've been sponge bathing since May so I've really gotten into a good routine. I also use baby wipes for the areas I can't wash like my neck since I don't want to risk getting my central catheter wet.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 01:23:45 PM »

I suppose running through a car wash naked is out?  :rofl; :rofl;

I ended up just going ahead and taking the shower when I had a catheter.  I became a pro at changing my dressings, even though I was not really supposed to.  The head nurse at the dialysis center would give me the big bandaid covers to put back over it because he knew I would dry everything and change it out carefully.

However, I do not recommend this method for people new to dialysis.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 02:33:17 PM »

I did the same thing a few times when I had my CVC.  I was fine with washing my hair in the sink but the $10 was worth it especially for special occasions because they would blow dry it too and let me go to town with the hairspray (as a child of the 80's, I still like my big hair for parties)

When I was reduced to taking sponge baths (not for long because I found the peel and wraps), I found a hair cutting place that would wash my hair for $10.00. It was a bit expensive, but it did give me that feeling of being thoroughly clean. I always felt so much better in spirits afterwards. Keep in mind that this is only temporary. Hang in there!
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 04:23:38 PM »

Thanks everyone.  Unfortunately in my neck of the woods (outside Boston) a simple shampoo starts at $25!!!  That's a bit steep for me unless I only wash it once.  I did buy some no-rinse shampoo (meant for invalids) that you just wet the hair with, massage around and dry.  I'm going to try it tomorrow.  Also got some no-rinse body cleaner that is just wiped on with a wash rag. 

Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 12:37:21 PM »

I would like to add that I just received and tried a no-rinse shampoo product.  It's not a dry shampoo, but something you wet your hair with, massage in and then dry.  Seemed to do a good job.  I bought it on Amazon (amazon.com/gp/product/B00008KA7P?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00) and it's called NoRinse Shampoo. Cost $8.75/ 16 oz bottle and it looks like it will last a long time (my hair is shortish). Just another option for the cather-challenged. :)

Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »